• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic Tailstock

I've had my lathe for about 6 years now and have talked with tech support about my problem, to no find no help.
The problem is that the quill is hard to turn, I'm on the second quill and I think that I got a bad tail stock that either warped or was missalinged when the machining was done. We have 3520Bs at the club and they are easy to turn, almost spinning freely.
Has anyone else had this kind of problem? I am ready to call support and order a new tailstock, but the price of what it might cost me is scary.:eek:

Website
sites.google.com
Forgive me for the simplistic, obvious question. I do not mean to insult you, and you have enough experience in 6 years to tell me not to even bother with this. Is your tailstock ratchet quill lock loosened enough and not binding or interfering with smooth movement? I had the same problem and realized I had not turned it out enough to relieve contact with the slot in the quill. One time I had it too loose that the slot revolved around in the tailstock body and that caused a similar problem.

If that's not it, time for PM to send you another entire tailstock, not just the quill.

Good luck w/ it.............Mark

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
there is also a set screw that keeps the quill from turning. Make sure it's loose enough. Of course the first thing to try is to take it all apart and lubricate the quill and threads.

Mark and John, thanks for the replys.
The quill lock is not too tight, as I do take the thing apart on a regular basis and clean and lub it. I've tried WD-40 and white grease. I found a tap and die set that is left handed thinking that cleaning the threads would be a good thing, it helps but not enough.
Last time I spoke to tech support, because I have had the lathe for 6+ years they say if I pay the postage they will send me a new quill. I think I'm gonna call and speak with them again and try to plead my case.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
If this has developed over time the obvious answer is dirt which you seem to have eliminated.

Do you drill a lot or use hollowing that attaches to the tailstock ram?
I have heard the locking slot getting some damage from the rotational pressure of drilling or hollowing with something like and elbow.

This could roll up the edge of the slot and cause it to bind.

Al

Al when I have taken the tailstock apart for lube, it gets cleaned as well.
I do drill with the tailstock when getting ready to hollow.
Right now I'm putout by PM for not wanting to help me out with this problem. The only solution they have given me is to take it apart clean and lube it more often. I don't mind doing maintance on the machine, but going thru quills like this is no fun.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Depending on how much a replacement tailstock would cost (this would just be the main casting, yes? - since I assume you can transfer the hardware from your old one.) you could consult with a machinist to see about align boring the housing you have. Taking off just enough to true the bore.

Too, I'd bet a machinist would be able to diagnose your problem if you took the entire assembly to him.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I was going to suggest the same thing. Find someone in your area who is a knowledgeable machinist. If you happen to be near middle Tennessee I would give you hand. I'm not a knowledgeable machinist but do have quite a bit of experience working on various machines and vehicles.
Another possibility is to contact Robert Vaughan who I think lives in Virginia and belongs to the Blue Ridge woodturners, I think. He has made his living repairing and rebuilding woodworking machines and is incredibly knowledgeable. I can probably come up with a contact information if I really dig and you need it.

Thanks to all that responded to me. John if I am able to make it that way I'll send you a PM and throw the tailstock in the truck.
As of right now, I'm gonna call tech support on Monday and see if they can help me out or not, we'll see.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Check the tailstock ram if the slot has rolled up a tiny burr from drilling that may be the problem.
What apparently happened with some machines at Campbell was the edge of the slot pulled or pushed along the locking bolt sort of rolled a burr over the edge of the slot.
This makes a tiny ridge along the slot which is just enough to bind a bit.
Al

Last edited:
Good news for now, spoke with tech this morning and they are sending me a new quill and screw. Not what I was after, but I now have the guys name and ext. # with a promice that he will not let it die on me. They have me in their computer system now, so time will tell. Need to go out and clean the casting up and get it ready for the new quill.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Glen,
When you pull the old quill out, inspect the surface for scuffing that may indicate where it's binding. If you find scuffing, you'll want to clean up that area of the bore before installing the new quill or else you may end up with the same problem.

That's the plan Owen. Have even thought about taking it to the car wash and giving it a good blasting. Thanks for the help.

Glen
Before installing the new one run your finger across all the edges that the quill comes in contact with. My General 160-12 I turned into a 160-18
and the casting they sent me had a small burr on the edge of the hole that the lock handle went through. I and General went a little crazy trying to get it to work right until I found the burr with my finger.

Glen,

You have probably already tried this, but here goes just in case.

The Powermatic uses a split clamp to lock the tailstock quill in the housing. If the parts of the split clamp are bound by rust or debris in their bore in the tailstock housing, the quill will essentially remained locked even when the locking screw is loose. Next time you have the quill out, pull the entire quill locking assembly out of it's bore and clean the parts and the bore. I have noticed my quill difficult to move from time to time, and it is always corrosion or debris fouling the parts of the clamp. I have in a pinch, given the top of the clamp screw a light tap with a tool handle to force the bottom half of the clamp away from the quill to make the parts work easier until a cleaning could be performed.

Let us know what you find.

Dale

Have you tried to isolate the source of the problem? What I mean is the thread tight, or is the shaft tight in the housing? I don't know how the Powermatic is made, but can you take off the wheel, or release something on the thread, so you can slide the shaft back and forth without the thread turning? How about just running the thread back and forth in the shaft when it is outside the housing? This will let you know which is incorrect. I suspect you could run a brake cylinder hone in the bore of the housing if you need to take a few thousandths off it. Or how about emery cloth on the shaft if it is tight? Just thinking out loud. Almost sounds like you bought a Grizzly machine since you sometimes have to rebuild them to get them to work! Good luck.

Well the new quill is in and installed, after a good cleaning to the tailstock casting, oiled it up and it still drags when advancing the quill.
Richard, I am thinking that the casting was not machined correctly.
The screw spins nicely, and the quill slids in without too much drag, when I start to crank on it with everything together that is when the drag gets so bad that it wreck the threads on the screw.
When putting the tailstock together, I have to put the screw about half-way in the quill, slide the whole works into the casting, use a screwdriver to aline the end of the screw to exit the hole in the back side. I am thinking that when I get everything alined it puts it in a bind.
Dale I cleaned out the bottom of the quill lock as well, the brass locking part showed very little wear as I seldom use the lock.
Everyone else that chimed in, I thank you.

I have the same problem

Glen,
I found that my powermatic tailstock was somehow bored incorrectly and would drag on the last 1 1/2" when withdrawing the quill. On further inspection I found what looked like an elongated bubble in the trailing end of the sleeve. Looks like sharp jagged gouge in the top of the sleeve. Powermatic was so good about every other thing that I just took a file and
hone it a bit. Now it is fine.
Hope your problem is as easy to fix.
Good luck, dwight

Back