• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mastercarver Burnmaster HAWK

I was at the Totally Turning last week end and heard someone said (one of the demonstrator)that there is a trick as to get more power out of these burners.there is a hole in the side you can push a pin in or something?Has anyone done this or heard of such a thing.:rolleyes:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Are you sure that you are not confusing something with the reset circuit breaker?

I don't know why anyone would want to increase the power since there are very few instances where the advertised 130 watts full power would be needed. With my Detail Master, I typically have the control knob set to about 40% of maximum power for most tasks.

I don't know why anyone would want to increase the power

Branding is a popular form of decoration on wood turnings. The commercial units aren't very effective at maintaining the braining tip hot for continuous branding.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If somebody actually said that you could get more power by poking a wire into a hole, I suspect that they might have been pulling your leg, Bob, unless the owner's manual confirms what you heard. I have some small electronic devices (such as a programmable thermostat) that have a recessed reset switch that is accessed by poking a paperclip through a small hole. The CD and DVD drives on your computer have a small hole beneath the tray that allows you to use a paperclip to open the drive if the mechanism gets stuck and won't let you retrieve your disk.

The transformer in the Burnmaster Hawk is rated at 130 watts. Drawing any more than rated current would have to be at the expense of running the transformer hotter than the peak operating temperature and running the risk of shortening the life of the transformer as well as any of the other components that might also be overstressed.

The best and most reliable way to get a definitive answer to your question is to contact the manufacturer and ask them.

I don't know why anyone would want to increase the power since there are very few instances where the advertised 130 watts full power would be needed. With my Detail Master, I typically have the control knob set to about 40% of maximum power for most tasks.

that has been my experience also, i occasionally turn it down to 2 out of 10 if i have lines that are close together, for shading i usually run it on 4 out of 10 also

I was at the Totally Turning last week end and heard someone said (one of the demonstrator)that there is a trick as to get more power out of these burners.there is a hole in the side you can push a pin in or something?Has anyone done this or heard of such a thing.:rolleyes:

Bob, the demonstrators name is Shannon Doughtie. I am pretty sure that she mentioned something like that at the demo that I attended. Since I already have Graeme Priddle's version of a burner powered through a battery charger (the 'burner from hell') I didn't make a notation of exactly what she said. Why don't you just send her an email or visit her site?

Matt

On my Burnmaster Eagle, there is a small hole between the 2 and 4 range on the dial and in there is a allen nut (2mm or 5/64) that you can turn left or right according to the doc's. Turn to the left and the over all range drops, turn it to the right the over all range gets hotter.

They do not indicate how much hotter, or if it affects the life of your burner. It is guaranteed for 3 years I think, so if it burns out, send it back.

Lloyd

Back