• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

inside out/split

any one know of pictures on here of some ones chuck for holding split turnings? one that would be used till the item was ready to glue together. I know I saw such a thing SOMEWHERE, like a round disk with with a square opening. I have a picture in my mind of it but can't seem to get it across to a couple freinds.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Are you wanting to do Inside-out turnings? I do them a number of ways. The photo your talking about I believe was in the back of one of the AAW project books on doing an inside-out Santa. It was simply a round disc held in a chuck or faceplate and had a square opening the size you need but tapered slightly to pull the parts together. Seemed like to much hassle for me.
I typically do my inside out turnings using a paper joint. It is a lot more work but I don't get any flex in the parts and get a cleaner cut.
When playing with new designs I do none of 3 things. I glue just the ends together with CA glue and either break it apart of cut them off when I need to reverse the turning.
I have used band clamps. the work perfectly but you obviously have to be very careful around them to keep from hitting your fingers.
almost as good is using strapping tape to hold it together. Strapping tape or filament tape is that packing tape that has very strong filaments inside it that won't break. If you use this wrap it so the wind from the motion won't unwrap it should an end come loose. You don't need to ask how I know about that. The other downside is stay away from it with your gouges. It won't tear but it does cut easily.
another tip is to use 4 prong drive centers orient the points so they don't align with the joints in the wood but help hold it together. Also use a cup center on the other end for the same reason.

hey John thanks for the reply lots of good logic in it for sure. I will also pass on to one other freind. HE has the 4 peices maybe 1 3/4 square by 10 inches all thru over head drum sander then he used 1" turners tape full lenth. I say when he gets ready to turn them around he will have a real struggle to get them apart. his faith in that tape is not as good as mine. Oh and he put them in his bowl press a few minutes before starting turning.

And John you probably don't remember which issue that was?? On here of course I can look at that issue, and/or print what ever. I for the time being am a "Winter Texan" normally an Hoosier. but that will be a couple weeks before I am back up home where I have every issue.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
It wasn't an issue of American Woodturner it was one of their extra turning project books. I'll have to look it up tonight if I don't forget.

you do not say what type of things you are trying to turn.
a little more information might help, spindles or ornament type turnings

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I don't do inside out turning, but some of my fellow club members have used hose clamps to hold the pieces together. They say that it is a good idea to remember that there is a free end of the band flying around that is practically invisible.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The article I'm talking about is Turn your Christmas Inside-out. by Mike Kehs. It was in American Woodturner AAW project book. These were reprints from articles in American Woodturner 1987-1992. You may be able to do a search for it in the past journals if your an AAW member.

Inside/Outside Turning

Look at WoodturningOnline, Projects Section and look at the Article by David Reed Smith entitled Inside/Outside Angel Ornament

Back