• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dull Side / Shiny side

I recently turned a Pepper Mill out of Black Walnut. I sanded with all the grits 150,180,240,320,500 and applied Tried and True (Polmerized Linseed Oil and Natural Resin Varnish). I noticed one side of the Mill has a nice shine and the other side sort of looking dull. Question Is it the wood or did I do something wrong in the process.:):)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
One side may be absorbing more finish. It will probably take more coats. Let it dry at least 24 hours after the first coat and then use steel wool or 3M pads to sand it down. Then apply another coat. I usually apply 1 coat day until it becomes glossy. If it's a porous wood you can see the gloss inside the pores after you steel wool it. When you can't see the pores anymore so the whole piece is satin looking then it will only take one or two more coats to get a very high gloss.

Walnut, eh? The side sucking finish a touch lighter in color and softer to a fingernail than the other? Seems they steam the stuff to darken the sapwood in a kiln. Log does a bit of its own if the bark's left on for a couple months. Might be your problem.

Back