• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Radio reception

I too gave up on radio when I got my PM3520. Reception here on Cape Cod is never great, we have homeland security at Otis Air base and Pave Paws radar. So I didn't lose much.
So today to quote Steve Jobs "I cracked it", There is a free App, "Tunein Radio" for my iPhone. Feed it thru the Aux input on my shop radio and their are hundreds of free radio channels. No buzz, no weak reception, Just beautiful music.

Peter Haney

Thanks for the information. I have an android phone, and will be looking for a similar application after reading your post. I'd not thought about using the phone as a radio receiver. Radio doesn't work so well while turning on the PM....as you know.

You guys had best have UNlimited data on your phones, else that music's gonna get more than a little expensive.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
My solution is a little different. My noise-canceling headphones also have an AUX in jack. This is jacked into an MP3 player. Which is loaded with audio-books from Project Gutenberg.

Last BIG sanding operation I was listening to the Scarlet Pimpernel

Tune-in Radio

I too have Tune-in Radio, and it is a great app. I have it on an i-Pod Touch which sits in an Apple dock, and I have plugged two powered speakers into the dock. The sound is great and you can hear music from all over the world 24 hrs a day. Offers many different genres of music (e.g. Jazz, Classical, Nostalgia etc.) with hundreds of stations for each class.

That just sounds too great. I've been listening to danged awful AM talk radio lately, what have I been thinking?

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Mark re Unlimited Data

No problem if you have wifi in your home/shop. iphone, and android phones too I presume, choose wifi preferentially over the cell phone network for data. No limits there in my experience.

Website
www.digitalwinners.com
I agree with n7bsn, I listen to books on tape nearly exclusively in the shop, rather than radio. I have an old CD player as well as an MP3 player that I use. Of course, my better half is a librarian, so I can get the latest books on tape before anyone else :)

Website
www.docwks.com
iPod works well in my shop which replaced my old CD player. My wife is quite the Thrift Store Diva and brings home these great old CD's for .50 - 1.00 I have about 8 days worth of music, put it on shuffle and it's great. We take the CD's back to goodwill or give them away when we are finished with them. In my truck though I use an iPod with audio books, this makes the drive to and from work much more tolerable and destressing.

Back