• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

help making grinding station

OK, I've never made anything in my life. so I have no construction background. I did pick up a Kreg master jig before my local woodcraft went out of business. I also have some 2' x 4' 3/4" birch ply I got from the borgs. to make it. I want to see if I can make it so my woodcraft 8" grinder used for my turning tools & the Tormek t-7 can go back to back. so all I need to do is spin it around to use one or the other. I am also 5' 11" tall I Have 2 of these wheels 3" caster wheels I need to pick up 2 swiveling locking casters. from somewhere. I was just going to pick up some drawer slides from the borg. I'm not planning on putting heavy stuff in there just light stuff.

My questions are.

1. How tall to make the case with the wheels I got & also for my height also to be able to use the Tormek & woodcraft 8" grinder comfortably.

2. what is the best way to add a couple of drawers.

3. What type of screws to get for the kreg using the 3/4" ply course or fine TPI. Also where to get them at as decent price.

Any other info will be greatly appreciated especially if I haven't asked the question.

I am 5' 8". I would say you want your cabinet height between 30" and 32". For plywood you will want to us the course thread Kreg screws. You can find Kreg screws at Lowe's, Sears and Home Depot but I have found McFeely's has the best prices.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/search/kreg+pocket+hole+screw.

As to how to make your draws, there are dozens of way but that depends on what tools you can use. Search the web for "draw construction".

How about center wheel same as center lathe? If one's comfortable, other should be.

Instead of building a table to roll around why not mount them on a heavy duty lazy susan? Hopefully you don't have a lot of vibration with your grinders.

Website
www.docwks.com
Chuck,
I think that is a great idea, one thing though mounting the Tormek back to back will limit what you can do with it. I use the front and back depending on what and how I'm grinding stuff, just a thought.

Website
www.digitalwinners.com
How about a different approach, which has worked well for me. I went to the local recycling center, I think it was the Habitat for Humanity re-store, and bought a cheap...REALLY cheap dresser. I installed some casters on the bottom, my grinder and buffer on the top, and had 3 big drawers to fill with stuff. Bottom line, I was left with a sturdy workstation, that cost me next to nothing, and required zero construction effort. Yeah, it probably doesn't look all that professional, but it works.

Website
lumberjocks.com
Grinding Station

I am halfway through building my owning Grinding station. I had a larger wheeled Craftsman Toolbox in storage that I converted to hold my grinder and store my turning tools. Since I have a garage shop it is nice to have a mobile place to keep my tools & grinder close to what I am doing. That and it keeps it out from under the lathe where it would be a constant fight to keep shavings out of the way.

For height I read numerous places that the center of the wheel at elbow height works well. Obviously it is going to depend on what is comfortable for you. But that is what I went with so I can get a good view of what I am doing without stooping over.

I found a couple of good threads that I used to get ideas.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f6/lathe-tool-storage-33713/

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?89602-show-your-lathe-cabinets

Hope that helps get you some ideas. I will post pictures of my stand once it is complete.

Chris

Chris-Crafts.com coming soon

Back