• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Type of Grease for Jet 1642 EVS Spindle Back Part

Does anyone know the type of grease to be used to put inside the roughtly 4inch by 2 inch chromed metal part that slides/goes on the backside of the spindle for a Jet 1642 EVS? I removed the original to put on a vacuum chuck replacement (that didn't work) and now I want to put the original back properly, without it getting locked up in the future. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I have talked to Jet's Technical Service reps on occasion and they're great folks to consult when you've got a question or problem.

1.800.274.6846 - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.(CST, Monday - Friday)

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
Judging by the size you mention I assume you are talking about what I call the hand wheel (although it doesn't look like a wheel). I have a Jet 1642 and I have had the hand wheel off a few times. I don't recall there being any grease on it, nor have I put any on it. If you are looking to prevent it seizing and being difficult to remove next time, you can buy a product called anti-seize at any car parts store. I think it's just grease with some graphite mixed in.

I second the suggestion to call Jet. They have been very helpful to me in the past.

Last edited:
Ballistol!

I got a can of Ballistol from Don Geiger a while back and have been using it all over my Jet 1642 and Robust. It works on the ways, the clamping mechanisms of the banjo and tail stock, etc., etc. It's great stuff!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I think my Powermatic has some sort of what I would call glue, to help keep the handwheel on I guess. I removed it to drill index holes in it. When I put it back on I didn't use anything I don't think. That's been about 5 years ago.

Back