• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

American Woodturner Journal on iPad

I have been considering moving to the electronic version of the Woodturner Journal but I am on the Apple platform - iMac and iPad 2. Last year when I investigated it, I was unable to view the journal on my iMac. This year as I renew, I took another look and now I am able to read the journal on my iMac but not on my iPad. Because I travel from time to time, I would like to have the ability to store the journal on my iPad to read on long flights and trips out of the country. Has anyone found a way to do this or know if the association is working on a way to support this functionality?

Sam, I don't know of a way to download and read American Woodturner using an iPad, but maybe someone else does and can help.

What I do know is that the Publications Committee and Editor (me) are in the early stages of investigating what it will take to make the journal down-loadable and e-readable. This ability will happen eventually for sure .... we hope by early in 2013, but that timeframe not a promise or guarantee.

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

I sent an email asking about this to the staff. I have a flash player app for the iPad and I still couldn't get it to work. I hope they can find an easy script fix as I was looking forward to using the iPad in the shop with different articles and tips.

To add a little more to this, I was playing around with some new apps and found I could access the journals using Photon Flash Web Browser. iT.s not the easiest to use though as the pages are hard to read and maneuver around once you open them. A lot of kinks to work out in the flash app.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I guess I'm old fashioned but I'm quite happy with a paper version. If I lose it or drop it no problem. I can roll it up and stick it in a jacket pocket. If I leave it at the lunch counter no one will probably steal it but if they did, no problem. If it's raining I can tuck in inside my jacket and if I drop it in a puddle, no big loss. (I've lost a phone that way)
Of course I don't own a phone that will do all that and frankly because of all I wrote above probably won't buy one. Oh I can see some advantages of being able to share videos and photos with friends but it's just not worth the money. I think I already pay far too much for phone usage. We are overcharged for these phones and I can't believe we put up with contracts. I tried to cross out the contract part when I got my new phone and they wouldn't accept it. And Then Verizon had the gall to try and charge $2 to pay electronically. Most of my bills want you to pay electronically because it saves them money. Of course the consumers finally rebelled on this one.
Oops, jump off the soap box now. I really don't have any problems with the Journal going electronic. I realize that the customer base is there and if we are going to attract younger turners it needs to be done.

Why not have them available in pdf format?

Each article is already in PDF format as it goes to the printer. PDF format, however, needs to be reformatted for easy/proper reading on e-readers. Currently that technology and process is fairly expensive and worse yet, different for the various readers. I believe that this "industry" is becoming more standardized and the applications less expensive. There is still the expense for reformatting the contents of each issue, though.

Of course the Journal will remain a print publication for a very long time, not to worry, John. On the other hand, all those videos you are making, John ... think about how wonderful it would be to connect some of that helpful information to articles in the journal. Simply click on the link and presto, you can watch a video, which visually explains a technique! That linking can be done right now, through the e-version on AAW's website, but it's not yet available for e-readers. The article you and Keith are working on is the beginning of linking content in the journal with video.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Owen Lowe said:
Why not have them available in pdf format?
Owen,
The online version is in sort of a PDF under web control so that it delivers one page at time for viewing while on line.
Using this method a member can access any journal online so long as they are an active member.
It provides some protection from piracy.

I believe the PDF Can not support the one owner - One copy Principle.

Kindle does a pretty god job of preserving the one owner concept.

I like the paper journal.

I much prefer reading books in kindle on the IPAD. Rather than drive 20 miles to the library, I check kindle books out from the Polk county Library web site. The books show up on my IPad in minutes. I can adjust the print size. I can make notes and underline things. If I hold my finger on a word the dictionary definition shows up. To return the book I just click return on the web.

Gutenberg.com has couple of old woodturning books for free.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Owen,
The online version is in sort of a PDF under web control so that it delivers one page at time for viewing while on line.
Using this method a member can access any journal online so long as they are an active member.
It provides some protection from piracy.

I believe the PDF Can not support the one owner - One copy Principle.

Kindle does a pretty god job of preserving the one owner concept.

I like the paper journal.

Al, I hadn't thought about unauthorized access - that's a good point.

I get the printed version to read and enjoy it.

The current online version does not really stop piracy. It just makes it a smidge more awkward than just downloading a file though. I was able to create a stand alone PDF of an entire issue in about 15 minutes without any special software on my Mac.

Copying of electronic files is going to happen unfortunately, and we as a society are going to need to accept the business models that will need to grow around those files to allow this type of content to survive. Business' will also need to really change the way they think about this as well and accept some changes in the environment.

I end up creating the PDF's and then transferring to my iPhone or iPad to have several issues to read if I am going to be away from the computer for any length of time. On the small screen, it is a bit of a pain in the butt, but it is better than not having access to it at all. I have not read any content in ePub or eBook format to see how well it reflows on the various screen sizes.

Lloyd

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Loyd,

I agree with you; any thing in bits can be copied.

For that matter my. $200 printer has a sheet feeder. I could scan my journal into a PDF.

The current process is to keep honest people honest.

No one can inadvertently give an electronic journal away.

Al

Website
www.docwks.com
As a Web Coordinator for a large hospital I deal with all kinds of electronic media and information security. It is very difficult to keep electronic information private and still keep it simple to access and use...impossible would be better. When it comes to magazines I also like "dead tree in hand" but I also like it to be mobile if I can. I get the AAW magazine in paper form, but there are several subscriptions that are now available in electronic versions that make subscription sense. I have been a big fan of the British Woodturning magazine, but after a few years it was just too expensive with all the other magazines I was getting. This past October Woodturning Magazine is now available on the iPad (not sure of the kindle) for about a 1/3 of the cost of the paper version through the "Newsstand" app. This might be an option to consider for the AAW. Just a thought. Good luck keeping everyone happy Betty! :)

Apple requires a percentage of all subscriptions and Apple requires a subscription fee be charged for all "newsstand" subscriptions.

Website
www.docwks.com
Apple requires a percentage of all subscriptions and Apple requires a subscription fee be charged for all "newsstand" subscriptions.

I understand that, but the printers charge to print on paper, its part of the cost of doing business. I'm not saying the AAW should but, it's an option. Using the "newsstand" also inhibits "sharing" of the media, unless you really know what you’re doing.

I just tried Lloyd's idea using Bullzip, which I have on my latop, to print a couple of pages to a pdf. Worked perfectly. I have been maintaining a collection of downloaded turning related materials for about the past ten years. I have some 50-60 different sub-folders in a folder titled turning downloads. It is the easiest way to find something you know you have seen in the past. This works great to archive an article into that file.

I got it figured out finally for the IPad. Using the Photon browser I can access all the back issues.
First, open the website up in the browser in the flash web mode.
2. Log in to the member area and pick online journals
3. Pick whichever issue you care to open
4. Once the issue is open the click the icon to exit out of flash mode

If you try and view it in the flash mode it doesn't act correctly. It will jump around and you won't be able to go from one page to the next. But if you exit the flash mode once you have the issue open then it's not a problem. You just need it in flash mode to initially open the issue.

Print to PDF

Sam,

If you are viewing the journal on your IMac, can you print the pages off? I the answer is yes then use the print to PDF in the lower left corner of the print box. Then you simply email to your self and view on IPAD.

Jimmy Powell

The American Woodturner Journal is such great reading that I purchased the American Woodturner Compact Disc Set 3 - it contains journals in pdf format. I transferred the pdf files to my Color Nook and it worked fine. Later, after purchasing an iPad, I again transferred the files to the iPad and, using he iBooks app, was able to read the journals - looks fantastic.

So the trick is to just get the journals formatted as pdf files - which is great for traveling or searching. But, given a choice between the two (pdf files or the paper copy), I'd have to go for the paper version - Betty does a super job with the Journal. However, I also want the pdf file in addition to the paper copy because I always seem to have more time for reading when I'm traveling and the pdf file (or files) are much lighter.

Bob Loyd

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying taking the journal with you when you travel and that you like the journal in general. There is a lot of great reading in the back issues! (Look for some new project and technique books soon, articles compiled from the back issues.)

The journal pages are PDF when they are sent to the printer. For the online journals on the AAW website, there's a quick format of the printer's files that takes place and those are PDF, too.

In order to have a downloadable, e-reader format, the printer's files need to be converted in a more complex manner (still PDF, though) and there are options to consider. That's what we are currently researching. We are excited that our printer has the capability of doing what we need. Jean LeGwin, chair of the Publications Committee, is planning a trip to the printer, which will take us one step further toward an e-reader format for the journal.

We will, of course, continue to have the paper version, but it won't be too long before you'll have both options.

For those with the IPad, all you need to do is get the free app Photon Browser. Then log into the AAW members section in the Photon Browser in "flash" mode. You can view all the back issues without any problems then. I've been using the past 2 weeks since I am working away from home.
Disclaimer: I have no personal interest in Photon Browser. Just found it works for viewing Flash websites on the IPad.

Website
Www.MartinPens.com
The Photon Flash Browser I'm seeing is $4.99. Did it recently go from free to 4.99?
Thanks for the tips. I look forward to the e-reader version as an additional option.
I still like having the journal on tables around the house.

Martin

Must have. I got it about 3 weeks or so ago for free. Sorry. I like the hard copy too. But I spend a lot of nights in hotel rooms so it's nice to travel light and still have a large selection of reading material.
Brian

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
I just went to check something in the new journal online (Kevin hasn't brought ours yet)

There was a link for IPad

Launches American woodturner from a web site issuu.com. Have to be online just like with the pc access.

Won't help anyone it pilots on an airline.

Al

I guess I'm a little slow with a new iPad, but does this "Issuu" download to the iPad? I went to the App store and there didn't seem to be a link to either the American Woodturner, or Issuu. Is there somewhere I can get instructions to get from point A to Point B?

Website
Www.MartinPens.com
Use your browser to go to the AAW site and to the online section of the journal. There will be a link there which you will click on and that will open Issusu (sp?) and the iPad version of the journal. It's not an App.

Back