• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Gast Vacuum Pump Rebuild Kit on eBay

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
To Vacuum-Chuckers using a Gast Model 0523 Vacuum Pump:

I am a "spare parts on hand" kind of guy, and have been watching eBay for 8 or 9 months for rebuild kits for my two Gast 0523 Vacuum Pumps, just to see if I can get a rebuild kit or two inexpensively to put in inventory for when I eventually need to rebuild the pump(s). I recently found a seller ("aqwholesale") who was offering new OEM Gast K 478 rebuild kits (which contain 4 new vanes, 2 new O-rings, 2 new foam filter elements, and a new "head gasket", plus instructions). Before posting this, I wanted to confirm that the seller supplied the correct kits, and in new condition. They arrived fairly quickly via USPS today and are in great shape; mine have OEM packing seals on the kits dated July 2011.

This information is being provided to those turners who might want or need to acquire a Gast vacuum pump rebuild kit (K 478) for use with the 0523 series of pumps. (This is the vacuum pump model sold by Craft Supplies, Packard Woodworks, etc.). I have no previous or subsequent knowledge of the seller, and have no financial interest in promoting any sales for him - just a satisfied customer at present. If anyone needs one of these kits, there are apparently several still available HERE. As with anything on eBay - Caveat Emptor.

I hope this helps those of you that might have a need for such an item!

Remember - Once you go VAC, you never go back!

Rob Wallace

Last edited:
Website
Parts on hand, for the time being...

Bill asked:

Have you installed your kit yet or are you just stocking up with repair parts?

Sorry for the delayed reply Bill - Major curriculum report was due today.......working on it for another 5 hrs after dinner last night.....

I bought the repair kits (two) for both of my Gast 0523 pumps which are currently working just fine. I regularly do preventative maintenance on them by blowing-out the motor housings, clearing accumulated debris, checking the built-in pump filters, and checking/cleaning the in-line particle filters in my vacuum system; even the bleeder air inlet is filtered though a sintered metal filter. I wanted to have repair parts on hand should either pump decide it's done with the currently installed parts. (As a matter of normal shop function, I also maintain a small inventory of spare drive belts for all three of my lathes, extra center points for my live centers, extra adjustable locking handles for my banjos/tool rests and quills, a spare drive shaft for my Foredom tool, and even have a spare [new] Milwaukee close quarters drill in inventory for when my first one finally goes (...but no sign of that happening any time soon, even after 8 years of sanding!). I don't really like to ever be out of commission and relying on part orders and shipping to be back in business. I did that once before; had a lathe drive belt break during the completion of a promised woodturning job, and "sweatted" the delivery of the replacement part in time for getting the job done and delivered to the contractor on time. Never again. I now have a preventative maintenance schedule for my shop, and have spare parts for the "Achilles Heels" of different machines, etc.

I am still looking for a source for Gast-recommended pump cleaning solution, or a comparable recipe that I could mix in my lab for the solution that should be allowed to flow through the pump every so often. I think that would preserve the life of the vanes and o-rings even longer!

So far so good...... my pumps really suck!

Cheers!

Rob

Website
www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org
Gast Flushing Solvent

Rob - Here's what I have learned about Gast flushing solvent.

Gast AH255B flushing solvent is no longer available. According to the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), this solvent contains 90.0% to 95.5% 1,1,1-trichloroethane - an ozone depleting substance that is rapidly being phased out. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1-Trichloroethane.

Loctite Safety Solvent is a general purpose industrial cleaning solvent. It removes all traces of oil and grease and leaves no residue. Its formula base in 1,1,1-trichloroethane. I have not been able to locate any of this solvent.

Gast web site lists AH255D flushing solvent. A look at MSDS for this solvent (http://www.gastmfg.com/pdf/MSDS/AH255D.pdf) reveals a complete reformulation of the flushing solvent. 1,1,1-trichloroethane in AH255B has been replaced by a blend of heptane and acetone in AH255D.

My guess is that you can get AH255D flushing solvent from Gast. Check it out at http://www.gastmfg.com/index.html.

Let me know if you are successful in obtaining either AH255B or AH255D flushing solvent. - John

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
Website
John:

Many thanks for the information on the cleaning solvent. I can understand why this product is becoming scarce, given that the bulk of its composition is a volatile chlorinated organic compound. We continually get updates on use and storage of these compounds from our Environmental Health And Safety office.

I think I have some 1,1,1 TCE in my lab (probably less a than a liter), but am reluctant to use it given it's known environmental effects. I certainly have acetone, but don't believe I have any heptane (I do have nearly 4 liters of mixed hexanes used for partitioning lipids from aqueous mixtures or for concentrating extracts by evaporation). I suppose I should do more research about possible environmentally-compatible replacements. I'll talk with my friends in the Chemistry Department to see what their suggestions might be. I think the main parameters for solvent selection are their low likelihood of flashing/burning/exploding (!), volatility, and compatibility with rubber seals/O-rings used in the pump's head. It is not likely that most solvents would interact negatively with the metal or the carbon vanes of the pump, so the O-rings and filters are what need to be protected with wise selection of any solvent(s) used.

I don't believe preventative maintenance should contribute to release of chemicals known to cause environmental damage. I think of this each time I spray lacquer or other aerosols, hoping that what I'm doing is generally 'OK'.

Chuck - thanks for the info on the Loctite product - sounds like a close cousin to the Gast solvent!

Have a great day!

Rob

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The current Loctitite product is 22355 ODC Free Cleaner.

As far as I know, 1,1,1 Trichlorethane (aka methyl chloroform) has been off the market for a very long time -- more than ten years if memory serves me correctly although some old containers are probably still hanging around. Industrial users were required to get rid of the stuff years ago.

I hate to think about how my hands always had a strange tingling sensation after using the stuff in a lab for degreasing prototype circuit boards before conformal coating. I suppose that it also rendered all of the lard out of my hands, too. Now that I think about it, the manufacturing area had very strict handing rules while the labs seemed to be completely unregulated with respect to that sort of stuff -- no rules that I know of.

When I was a young whippersnapper computer operator, we used trichloroethane to clean tape drives. Just grab the lint-free cloth, pour it on, and wipe away. It dessicated your hands so much your fingers turned white. You had to clean the drives once or twice per shift.

Website
Thanks for the posts on the cleaning solvent! Good discussion.

I just got off the phone with a guy who called me to ask if there were any more rebuild kits....(!).....

... I just want everyone to know that I am not the seller!! - just a reporter of their availability at a decent price!

I did just check eBay, and it appears the seller does have more of the Gast K 478 vacuum pump rebuild kits available for the 0523 pump. Look at this eBay listing HERE if you are interested.

Rob Wallace

Back