• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

NSK Air tool Question

Somewhere I read that one of ourt members is using the NSK Aqua for piercing. It apparently sprays a fine mist of water on the piece being turned.
My question, is the tool better with the water or just used dry?

I've been waiting for over a week for a replacemet tubine from powercrafter and I need to finish a piece of work for a gallery. I,m just frustrated enough to just get a new, but different, tool.
icon11.gif

The Irish are not known for their patience.

Since the NSK is designed to be a dental tool, the water spray is for dental use and would require a water hookup. I use an NSK tool and certainly wouldn't want to spray water on a piece that I was piercing. Raising the grain would create quite a mess.

Since the NSK is designed to be a dental tool, the water spray is for dental use and would require a water hookup. I use an NSK tool and certainly wouldn't want to spray water on a piece that I was piercing. Raising the grain would create quite a mess.

Thanks for the reply Wally. The reason I asked the question is because I read one of the posts stating the NSK was water cooled. It didn't make sense that one would spray water onto a wooden bowl, hence the question.

It took me a while on the NSK site but I found a reference to turn off the water option and lead me to conclude that water was not a souce for cooling the bearings.

Thanks again for your response.

Jim,

NSK has two different models. One shoots the water out (used for dental work) and the other is an air only unit with sealed bearings. I own the latter and it is the ONLY think I would use for piercing....now. Kinda expensive at $400-500 if you need to buy a regulator (it doesn't come with one and you MUST have one) and a few carbide bits.

Scott

Website
www.docwks.com
Most of them don't need to go over 40 PSI. A regulator with a low end fine adjustment is the most handy. I have a kinda cheap one that works, but it can be a challange when a fine adjustment is needed. Once it's set thought I just use the on/off valve. The powercrafter needs to be oiled if you want it to last. I've had mine over 4 years without any problems, thank god, but I keep it up and I don't try to hog wood with it. I have other toys for hogging.
Bill

Absolutely DO NOT exceed 40 psi. I have mine set at 35 psi (recommended) and its works super. I learned the hard way what too much pressure will do to a $139 turbine. I didn't know it but I was supplying mine with 65+psi and it blew all the oil out of the SEALED turbine. Oooops! Now I have a PSI gauge and everthing is working peachy. Having a water filter is also a must. You don't want humidity filled air flowing through this precision tool.

Back