• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Faceplate problems & Selecting a new a chuck

Having given up my 30 year old Rockwell lathe and using my new Jet 1642 lathe (1-1/4"x8) I have realized that some my inexpensive faceplates have an awful lot of run-out. Interesting that I didn't notice it on the old guy. Where can I buy reasonably priced faceplates 2"-4". All of the catalogs have several and some are $50 and up. If I must pay that much I will but prefer not to.

Also my barracuda chuck is adequate but want to add one new chuck so I do not have to change over so often. There are so many to choose from that I cant decide. Are the more expensive ones better?
Thanks in advance,
Rob

Don Pencil makes some nice face plates, have not had any personal experience, I think you should be able to find him by google serch with his name and turnibg
good luck

I have a Nova G3 chuck and and Oneway Stronghold chuck - they are both quite useable, but I cant say enough good things about my Oneway chuck. Having said that, the Nova was $100 and the Stronghold is $250-$300.

If you ask me, something that you use quite often and you rely on to hold your work firmly and not throw it at your head, the extra cash for the oneway is WELL worth it.

Do your old faceplates "bottom out" on the spindle shoulder or on the end of the spindle? If the latter, try adding a stout plastic washer (e.g. plexiglas or HDPE) against the shoulder. The wider footprint by itself reduces wobble, and the intermediate washer helps to reduce sticking.

Check out Grizzly's clone of Vicmarc - now about $105, with extra jaw sets at about $22 each.

Website
www.docwks.com
Robert,
On the chuck question, I know everyone has his favorite...mine are the Oneway, but are you sure you want to switch to another type of chuck. I find it a bit of a pain when I have chucks that have different style keys. Just a thought.
Bill

I like my Super Nova 2 and since they were on sale almost everywhere I got a second for $134. Once you get used to cutting the dovetail tenon all is good. Also it does not loosen as easily as the Barracuda will (have one of those too)

Dovetail tenon? I believe Nova recommends a straight tenon, dovetail for a recess.......

Rich

Face plates

reasonably priced face plates can be gotten from Easy Wood Tool.
Excellent machineing and finish.
Peter

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Having given up my 30 year old Rockwell lathe and using my new Jet 1642 lathe (1-1/4"x8) I have realized that some my inexpensive faceplates have an awful lot of run-out. Interesting that I didn't notice it on the old guy. Where can I buy reasonably priced faceplates 2"-4". All of the catalogs have several and some are $50 and up. If I must pay that much I will but prefer not to.

Also my barracuda chuck is adequate but want to add one new chuck so I do not have to change over so often. There are so many to choose from that I cant decide. Are the more expensive ones better?
Thanks in advance,
Rob

re:

Hello........

Are you talking about screw center faceplates, or screws around a circular pattern on the faceplate? When you say "runout", are you talking about the screw, or screws not revolving concentric to the spindle threads? This may, or may not be problematic, because the block of wood you are turning will revolve true to the spindle, regardless if the screw, or screws aren't perfectly concentric. It could be a problem locating and matching the real center to the screws on the set-up, though........ If it were me, I'd probably ditch them too, and get some faceplates that run true.

I've heard good things about the aluminum faceplates, but mine are all steel screw center, and cast iron (?) Oneway standard faceplates. I seldom use the latter, except for my biggest and heaviest blocks of wood. For most turning, the screw center faceplates are quick, convenient, and accurately mounted to perfect center very easily........just a 1/4" pilot hole, which is very easy to locate perfectly on your wood block. Initial mount to the top of the bowl, turn outside and tenon......then switch to chucks to turn out the interior........

I have had Nova and Vicmarc chucks in the past, but they are now sold since I've converted to three Oneway Stronghold chucks. Nothing wrong with the Nova and Vicmarc chucks, but the Stronghold chucks have become my preference.......and after several years of neglect, I sold the Nova and the two Vicmarcs I had......

I use a tenon which is partially cut away on the final profile, and those serrated jaws used on the Stronghold chucks grip really strong.........I like that! :D

Faceplates and chucks will last a lifetime, so I'd forget about the initial cost and get the best......this is something I don't regret, and I'm sure you won't either.......;)

Generally, as a rule, you get what you pay for......but, I've also heard some good comments about the cheap "knock offs".........

What exactly is "the best" in faceplates and chucks is a widely disputed conclusion amongst woodturners.......but, I can say that the Oneway faceplates, Craft Supplies USA steel screw center faceplates, Nova chuck, Vicmarc chuck, and Oneway Stronghold chucks are all very highly regarded by me.

Any of the major woodturning suppliers are likely to have quality faceplates and chucks.......It's the tool wholesalers where you will likely find questionable quality, but not a given in all cases.......:D

Good luck.......

ooc

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Just as a side note about faceplates, I have a bunch of them, but they have mostly been converted to various dedicated purposes such as home made vacuum chucks. For vacuum chucks, I fasten the faceplate to either MDF or MDO and then use heavy walled PVC sewer couplings for the cylindrical part. I true them up on the lathe and then use various materials for the rim to bowl seal. My current favorite is shower pan liner.

My chucks are all Oneway Talons and one Oneway Stronghold. You can get any kind of jaws that you want from Oneway including dovetails, but I almost exclusively use the standard Oneway jaws. I have used Vicmarc chucks, but can't quite get used to the backwards rotation to grip a tenon.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Bill Vicmarc is the correct direction, Oneway has it backwards :) I just did demo's at a club that uses Oneway and it drove me crazy. Of course I went to Vicmarc from a Tommy Bar chuck so none of them work like that.

chucks

Both the Vicmarc and the Oneway tighten in the same direction. It is the Nova that is backwards. I got rid of my novas but love my oneway and vicmarcs. I love the tommy bar chucks when I am chucking something that is delicate, because I can get a better feel for when it is tight enough without busting the piece. I really like the vicmarc shark jaws because they move the piece away from the chuck.

Vernon

Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
Howard Borer from Boring Oregon makes great faceplates.
If yours are hitting solid then just turn the face true and maybe yours are just fine. Slow speed with a boring bar tip or scraper. Sharpen as often as needed.
I have both a oneway and vicmark chuck. I use the oneway most of the time.
I have maybe 40 faceplates as I used to be a production faceplate turner. Maybe 30 of those are Howards. Many of my pieces are still done with faceplates as they hold much stronger than any chuck.

Back