• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How can I keep the red color in Juniper?

I picked up a couple of pieces of what I think was a Juniper tree from son in law's home in Minneapolis. The tree was in his back yard and has juniper type berries. When I cut into it the heart wood is crimson and the sap wood is white. How can I keep this color from fading to brown like it did on the open ends of the log? What make the red turn brown anyway? Is it an oxidation process or the effect of UV light causing some kind of chemical reaction in the pigment.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Marc Himes

As far as I understand, it's light that causes any color in wood stains to fade. Since you want to see the color it must be exposed to light. Quite a conundrum.

I have yet to see juniper that didn't change from purplish red to a reddish brown.

I'd dearly love to know the answer.

Thanks for the reply Art. I will try a UV protective finish, but I expect it will eventually turn brown. It is a nice brown, but the red would be preferable to me. Thanks again.

Marc Himes

Back