• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stupid question?

1)I have seen very wide tool rests with two tool posts, supported by two banjos.
2)I am sure there are others, people will add.......

Two Banjos for

two reasons on my OW 2436. I use them for hollowing where one holds an outrigger which was hand made out of ss round stock with a 1" post. Very easy to swing the banjo around as well as the outrigger for reaching differing compound angles in the hollow form. Works great!

Second, I use 2 banjos to hold tables on the sides of turnings where I want to use an inline die grinder for fluting and marking out flute locations. That also works great and gives a good base for a sliding jig made for the grinder.

There are probably many more ideas out there. :)

second banjo

I have a double post tool rest for doing long str8 cuts

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've been thinking about it. I occasionally do long spindles. 2 banjo's and a very long tool rest supported at both ends would really speed things up.

Ad hoc long rests made with plywood L's and a hardwood top work very well if you don't want to buy and maintain an extra.

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
The Stubby lathe has two tool rest bases, one which has the locking handle on the end opposite the toolrest. The lathe also has a small auxiliary bed that bolts to the lathe in various place at right angles to the bed or headstock, and the second toolrest base is used with that, typically. It is more useful than one might imagine, particularly if one does large or sculptural type pieces. Its also handy for mounting a captured bar type rest.

John

Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
Ian, thanks for posting the link to what you do. I had no idea wood flag poles were even made anymore. Your setup is very impressive. The largest piece I have seen posted from your area of the world is Kiwi Alby Hall turning a dining room table. But this beats any I have seen as far as lenght.

Ian, thanks for posting the link to what you do. I had no idea wood flag poles were even made anymore. Your setup is very impressive. The largest piece I have seen posted from your area of the world is Kiwi Alby Hall turning a dining room table. But this beats any I have seen as far as lenght.

So Kelly,

Here is the solution to the flagpole problems for Linda's Gallery. We should be able to rig up somethig to turn the flagpoles that won't fall over in the wind. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Cow Ian!

The first thing I thought of when reading Ian's post of using 12 banjos was: Ian has an old Oliver! That is the only thing that would handle a flagpole of that size. My next question to Ian is - What do you use for steady rests with a pole that long, the vibration must be relatively large? Great posts.:)

Great Rest Too!

Now that would steady just about anything turning. Those do not look like skateboard wheels either. Was I correct in my assumption that you have an Oliver Lathe? How many turners do you have turning at one time? This would be an excellent demonstration - considering that you could easily get the equipment to the location. Wish you lived closer so I could come watch.:)

I had a good friend who was a professional turner with Oliver Lathes and recently had a stroke. Had to close his shop down and what a sad sight that was to watch. He turned some very long posts - (not flagpoles) and had automated drives for routers to flute and all sorts of things. It is now all gone. I do have a few pieces of choice wood from there and visit with he and his wife quite frequently. His shop was my first exposure to Oliver Lathes.:(

Website
ubeaut.com.au
Now that would steady just about anything turning. Those do not look like skateboard wheels either. Was I correct in my assumption that you have an Oliver Lathe? How many turners do you have turning at one time? This would be an excellent demonstration - considering that you could easily get the equipment to the location. Wish you lived closer so I could come watch.:)

I had a good friend who was a professional turner with Oliver Lathes and recently had a stroke. Had to close his shop down and what a sad sight that was to watch. He turned some very long posts - (not flagpoles) and had automated drives for routers to flute and all sorts of things. It is now all gone. I do have a few pieces of choice wood from there and visit with he and his wife quite frequently. His shop was my first exposure to Oliver Lathes.:(
Gooday Bill. The lathe is not an Oliver or Wadkin (I wish, drool) but was custom built to my design.

There are only 2 of us (I employ a woman) that do the turning but very rarely do we both work on the same piece together at the same time.

Back