• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lost Turning At AAW Symposium

The attached picture is of a turning that was taken to the Symposium in June and was not returned to it's owner. After contacting Tib Shaw at AAW, no one seems to know anything about this piece. Sad but true. As a last resort I am posting a picture here to see if someone might know of it's where abouts. Thanks

Attachments

• elmwithlacing s.jpg
    elmwithlacing s.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 354
Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
mr bill:

Was this piece supposed to be in the Instant Gallery? I looked at (what I thought) was every piece there (....plus or minus :) ), and I don't recall seeing this piece! I certainly would have noticed it - I am interested in doing fluting and would have immediately gravitated to it; the well-done "string" work at the rim and its bright green color would have also attracted the eye.

Sorry I can't help, but I don't recall seeing it, and AFAIK, none of my photos have its image either..... Jeff Snell might be contacted to see if it is in any of his images taken at the IG. He probably took more than most, and has produced an excellent photo-review of the Instant Gallery....

Good Luck!

Rob

Tib Shaw

AAW Gallery Curator
Staff member
Website
www.galleryofwoodart.org
After talking to the maker in late July and getting a description of where the attendee who brought it to the symposium dropped it off, the unfortunate likelihood is that it went to the Empty Bowls/25 for 25 sale.

If you by any chance know who bought this piece through Empty Bowls/25 for 25 it would be a true act of kindness to reunite it with its maker. Some deals really are too good to be true! The AAW would, of course, refund their $25 ticket purchase price.

By chance...Did anyone who attended take any pictures of the Empty Bowl event, Thanks for your help, suggestions, and comments.

Mr Bill,
I was in the initial line when the exhibit opened and to the best of my memory I do not remember seeing that piece. You may have put it in later as I saw a couple of people almost put a piece meant for the IG in there but realized their error before completion. There were literally hundreds of pieces inside so it is possible that I could have missed it. Hopefully someone took some pictures, that was a nice piece.
Bill

Thank you so much for those of you who have spent time looking through pictures. This piece was brought to the AAW Symposium by Mr Leo Frilot from Louisiana. He stated that he gave it to "someone" at the Symposium. Let's assume, that it may have been in the Empty Bowls area...Does anyone know any of the workers/volunteers that may have worked in the Empty Bowls area. If so please direct them here to look at the picture, and comment if they did or did not remember seeing this piece....This would establish that the piece "did" get to the Symposium...

I am really sorry to take up the forum space to help establish what may have happened to this piece. I just don't have anyother resouce. Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.

I vaguely remember a piece somewhere in that large room, with lacing running through it, perhaps it was in the silent auction area and got purchased that way.

Doubtfull

There is a lot of pre enter paper work that had to be filled out for entry to the silent auction. If this piece was in that area, someone has the paperwork filled out and knows who had the winning bid.

Thank you so much for all of your posts and personal emails. Unfortunantly nothing has turned up and I'm afraid that with each passing week the "trail" is growing colder. The lost piece was voted by the Lafayette, Louisiana AAW chapter to represent their woodturning organization. The piece was made by Mr Gary Rock of Westlake, La who is the president of the Lafayette chapter. He choose to send the piece to AAW by one of the members of the Lafayette chapter that would be driving to St Paul. His response to Gary when he returned was that when he went to "pick it up" it wasn't there.....I'm not sure who he gave it to, when he got there, but he indicated "he didn't have to fill out anything" From the emails I have received....There was an extensive paper trail of all turnings. None the less, it didn't come back to Mr Rock. My request is.... for all that come to the forum to please mention it at your club meeting and newsletters (there are a few that don't come to the forum) and pass the word along.

Thanks again for your help...

Club Representation

Maybe it went to the Club Representation area where the items from the clubs that were mailed went to. I know the piece that our club sent for the 8" BY 8" cube has not been returned yet.

Tib Shaw

AAW Gallery Curator
Staff member
Website
www.galleryofwoodart.org
Maybe it went to the Club Representation area where the items from the clubs that were mailed went to. I know the piece that our club sent for the 8" BY 8" cube has not been returned yet.

Hi Tim-
That's odd. I shipped the PBC Woodturners piece for the Turning 25 exhibit (8" x 8") on 6/30/2011. According to UPS's tracking service, it was delivered to Brian Rosencrantz on 07/08/2011.
Regards,
Tib

Since the piece in question is the first work pictured in "Turning 25, a celebration" the piece obviously arrived at the proper spot at the Convention to represent the Acadiana Woodturners. Any chance the piece sold? The check for our club's piece was just recently issued; the letter postmarked 8-12-2011.

George

As I understand it, the picture in the Turning 25 book was submitted by the maker. He took the picture of the turning, before, the turning was sent to AAW....

Back