• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

dogleg

robust sells a toolrest dogleg

anybody ever use one?? what circumstances is it helpful?

will it fit any lathe with 1" post?

Charlie,

I have one by another manufacturer. They are helpful particularly for reaching into deep forms where you need to get your tool support close to the wood, where your tool presentation is not perpendicular to the wood surface. A shear cut on an interior curve is one such example.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Never thought about a Dog Leg for the tool rest. Well at least not one that's short and stout and actually works. I had one on my Nova but it extended out so far the tools had a tendency to chatter. My Dad's Shopsmith has one and boy is that junk. I absolutely cannot get a clean cut due to the vibration from this cantilever tool rest design.
The Robust one looks substantial. I will build one as soon as I have time and let you know how mine works.

I'm assuming, since I didn't Google up the word "dogleg" on the site, that you mean something like this 1" post sturdy extension. http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/GoodOnesGone/OffsetRest.jpg Made by Delta, may still be available in places. Used to be at Packard, no show now. It reaches well where it has to, though my original reason for purchase, reaching around behind a turning on the 12" Delta with a too-short banjo, no longer exists.

I own that "Dogleg"

Hi Charlie - I own the Robust tool rest dog-leg. I got it to use with a sphere tool I have.

I also use it to get a little more depth out of a tool rest too.

It's very substantial or Robust and I haven't noticed any flexing at all.

It comes with a 1" diameter tool post.

I'm assuming, since I didn't Google up the word "dogleg" on the site, that you mean something like this 1" post sturdy extension. http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/GoodOnesGone/OffsetRest.jpg Made by Delta, may still be available in places. Used to be at Packard, no show now. It reaches well where it has to, though my original reason for purchase, reaching around behind a turning on the 12" Delta with a too-short banjo, no longer exists.

The Robust Dog Leg can be found by clicking on "About Robust Tools" at the top of the home page and then clicking on "Accessories" on the left of the page that comes up. The Dog Leg is described at the bottom of the accessories page. From the picture, it seems to be much shorter than the Delta dogleg.

The Robust Dog Leg can be found by clicking on "About Robust Tools" at the top of the home page and then clicking on "Accessories" on the left of the page that comes up. The Dog Leg is described at the bottom of the accessories page. From the picture, it seems to be much shorter than the Delta dogleg.

Thanks. Looks less like an extension than compensation for the toolpost being centered on the banjo. I sure like the offset post on mine. Glad to see most are going with a similar design.

Dog leg

I use the Robust dog leg when turning natural edged bowls (which I do a lot of) and can't get the tool rest close enough to the wood because the banjo can't be moved any closer or the wing tips will hit. The dog leg poistions the tool rest closer to the wood which reduces the fulcrum point.

Someone mentioned mentioned another dog leg that is longer. I don't think longer is good. I would be concerned about introducing too much vibration.

Don

Have one of those box rests, don't use it because it's just not comfortable with the Termite or the cylindrical pointy gouge. Won't let you tilt the tool for optimum presentation. Appears most suited to flat stuff like scrapers.

If you can score the Delta I referenced above, you've got a treasure. It's as sturdy as your banjo to the very end of its cantilever. Allows use of your choice of toolrests, even if you have to cantilever them out as well. Disadvantage is, as you can see, the post assumes you've got a high banjo neck. The other weakness is that you may not have the strength in the way the banjo is held to the ways.

Mine is probably close to 14" but it is custom made and quite strong. I have used it for finishing the last inch of the top inside of large lamp shades I haver turned. What prevents mine from chattering is that the support underneath the tool support edge is a stout blade shape, and the 1 1/4 post helps too.

Back