• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Assistant needed

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
This is extremely short notice, but here it is. My friend Dan Bailey is unable to make this class as scheduled, so I need an assistant NEXT WEEK for an advanced class at Appalachian Center for Craft in Smithville, TN. This is probably as experienced a class as I have ever had, I know all but one of the students, and they are good turners. We won't need an assistant so much, but I think its a good chance for someone to get to a class that might not have the chance otherwise. There will be some duties, but you would be a participant in the class as well. You must be able to use a chainsaw, and be a good tool sharpener, although we should not need to use those skills very much given the student level.

What you get is room and board, and to be part of a good class in a really nice place. Clay Foster and Jennifer Shirley will be down to visit on Tuesday, and we could probably talk John Lucas into a visit as well.

Here's a link to the Craft Center: http://www.tntech.edu/craftcenter/woodworkshops/

Since I have no way to know who might be interested, in anyone is, I'll give it a couple of days a make a choice if there's one to be made. You can email, or call me at six one five 397 five seven eight three.

I'm going to post this a couple of other places.

John

Last edited:
John, I'm applying to be your assistant. Let's chat.

Tom Hamilton
832/298-7225

Ahh . . .

Ahh - - if only to live the life of John Jordon :D

Another TJ Hamilton

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Bill I have an old sand wedge that could be converted to a turning tool. Golf may be why I got into wood turning. I spent so much time in the woods while playing golf that I got really interested in trees. :)

Golfing

I used to play golf. But the *$#$#^@ 3 foot tall windmill on the 9th hole used to knock my ball into the bumper boats pool.:D

Anyway are not some of the golfing clubs called "fairway wood"? I'll have to swipe my friend's clubs and mount one on the lathe. The one marked "PING".

-Dave

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Ping is the sound the golf ball makes after it hits a tree when it comes off one of those clubs. Did the clubs improve my game? Well I hit further into the woods. :)

Back