• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

jet mini banjo modular tool-rest question

I've recently acquired an older jet 1014 mini lathe [1]. While there are several good things I'd be willing to say about this lathe, the banjo and tool rest would not be on this list. Neither the plastic handle, nor the thinness of the rest inspires real confidence. I do mostly bowl turning and am interested in various bowl rests. I'm thinking about a modular system so that as I upgrade to a better lathe / banjo I only need to buy a different sized shaft.

Anyone found themselves in a similar situation and have any recommendations? Any suggestions on high-quality, low cost modular systems in particular would be appreciated. Any feedback on the utility of these modular systems would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

--e

[1] The 1014 mini is the older, blue version not the newer white one... I don't know if they've upgraded anything other than the color so the criticism above may not apply to the newer model.

Website
www.la-truciolara.com
Very good question.
I had the same problem and still have. Tool rest and bajoes, delivered with lathes, are not that satisfactory. I have been looking for ages a supplyer of these items that I could put on several lathes.
finaly I decided to make them, as I like them, with the shape and sizes suited to my requirements.
at the start it seem complex, after a while you get used to making them exactly the way you want them.

Website
woodturners.underthecouch.com
I'll agree with John on this. I had a newer 1014, and broke the tool rest within 6 months. Apparently this was a common occurance for this rest, as I came across many who had done the same. I got a 4" and the 9" offset rest and a post. When I moved up to a bigger lathe, I just needed a new post. Good quality materials.

Thanks for the feedback folks... I had looked into into the bestwoodtools option before, but the price set me back a bit.

The cost for the post, a 6" shaft and the adjustable bowl shafts would set me more than the lathe cost :( I don't mind buying it right once (i.e. i'd buy again my vicmarc chuck), but I'm just having a difficult time not thinking this should be a whole lot less.

Any other modular options out there?

Claude, I'd appreciate any details on how you've been building your own.

--e

One of our last demonstrators at a club meeting was using one of these mini-lathes. One of his comments was that the Jet mini was a pretty good lathe, but that the second or third time he broke the tool rest, instead of repairing the old one, he had someone (probably a machine shop) make him up a steel one, and that one has served him very well. In fact he might have had it made from plain old angle iron. I can't remember the exact details, but you get the idea.

So, I'm not sure that one needs to spend a great deal of money to have a good tool rest.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I made my own tool rest for My Nova Comet. I now have a jet mini that I plan to use for traveling. I'm definitely going to make my own for this one because I've seen too many of the factory rests break. I also need a 10" tool rest for doing my mirror handles. Can't afford the bestwoodtool rests for this one.

5/8" post and small bowl rest were $28 at Woodcraft today. and they have a 12" straight.

JimQ

Back