• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lathe Footswitch Question

There are push/pull STDP e-stop switches available that you could place in your main power line ahead of where it enters your drive. Finding one sealed against sawdust that wouldn't present a fire hazard buried in the shavings will be another matter. You might do better with an e-kill switch mounted on your machine's frame that you could simply kick in an emergency. I have my table saw's main switch box set up that way; works great.

Putting something on the floor and covering it in wet shavings is a recipe for trouble, as Mark says. Not to mention it will force you to clean up between operations so you can locate it for the next. I bag about 90-95% direct as it's removed by the way I orient the tools, but even 5% puts a couple inches of well-trodden mush on the floor at the end of the day.

A minimum of a kill switch located where you don't have to reach into the disintegration zone is an excellent idea. If you're non-electronic as I am, it can be your regular switch.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I agree. A magnetic mount remote that you can put somewhere else on the lathe is better than a floor switch. I also recommend placing it in the same remote spot all the time, not some random spot. when you need a remote in an emergency you don't want to have to look for it. that would be even harder when it's on the floor.

footswitch

When I bought my older woodfast lathe it had a footswitch wired in it. I unhooked it for I didn't like to use it. I could check out how it was hooked up but not sure if I could explain it to you. Gary

You can get a remote on/off switch for that lathe from Oneway. This is a low voltage switch so the risk of shock is minimal or non-existent. You might be able to build a contraption to activate the on and off buttons.

The switch wiring is simple these are momentary switches. You could have a SPDT switch and a pair of momentary switches.

I had foot switch on my lathe and liked it....until the day I needed it FAST and my foot slipped off as I hit it on the edge and the lathe did not turn off. Fortunately no harm done. I have taken it off and also moved the on/off switch to the right side my lathe (I am right handed) so I do not have to reach across myself to turn it off.
Ron

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I would think you could hook up a foot switch the same way as a on/off remote on a Oneway. You would have to come up with the switches and such, but seems doable. Probably even in line with a remote on/off. As for needing a quick stop, the Oneway's big red STOP button wouldn't get over ridden

Back