• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

jet mini lathe

I got a new belt followed the instructions in manual, Said to pull out shaft and it does not pull. Tried leverage between the chrome hand wheel nothing any help would be appreciated.

Ed

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I got a new belt followed the instructions in manual, Said to pull out shaft and it does not pull. Tried leverage between the chrome hand wheel nothing any help would be appreciated.

Ed

Yikes, I hope that you did not pry too hard. If so, you may have damaged the spindle bearings as well as possibly damaging the threads on the handwheel. There are two setscrews on the handwheel that must be removed first. I suppose that you noticed them. Next, unscrew the handwheel -- it has a LH thread. The reason that it is threaded is so that the preload on the bearings can be precisely set to take out axial play without overloading the bearings. After you do that, the spindle is easy to remove. When reassembling things, set the preload so that it just barely takes out all of the axial play, but does not load up the bearings. Once the handwheel is reinstalled and the setscrews tightened down and before engaging the belt, take it for a test spin. The spindle should spin freely and cost to a stop and at the same time not have any axial play. If the spindle is stiff when you try to spin it, the handwheel has been overtightened. Loosen the setscrews and readjust the tension. If you leave it set too tight, you will soon be disassembling things again to replace the worn-out bearings.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Earlier Jet mini lathes only had 1 setscrew in the handwheel. After you replace the belt following Bill's advice I would drill and tap a hole for another set screw. A very common problem with the Jet Mini's is the handwheel coming loose. This introduces slop in the spindle and creates vibration. 2 set screws has solved this problem on all of them I've worked on.

@ glen

I think Glen Key has way to much time on his hands to know where all the info is:D

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Earlier Jet mini lathes only had 1 setscrew in the handwheel. After you replace the belt following Bill's advice I would drill and tap a hole for another set screw. A very common problem with the Jet Mini's is the handwheel coming loose. This introduces slop in the spindle and creates vibration. 2 set screws has solved this problem on all of them I've worked on.

Another solution is to use two short setscrews in the same hole. The top screw jams the bottom one to keep it from loosening. If you do this make absolutely certain that you remember that you did it. Otherwise, you might remove the first setscrew and then not notice that there is a second one beneath it. Don't ask me how I know that this could lead to a problem. My Delta Invicta jointer uses this technique for jamming setscrews.

mini lathe

I did slihtly try to pry it with a big flat screw driver no luck. Called Jet and they said to drive it with a rubber hammer towards the tailstock which will happen tonight.

Ed

mini lathe

I did slightly try to pry it with a big flat screw driver no luck. Called Jet and they said to drive it with a rubber hammer towards the tailstock which will happen tonight.

Ed

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
If you don't have a rubber hammer use a block of wood and hammer. Remove the handwheel of course.
If the drive pulley does not want to move there may be a burr on the shaft from the setscrew that holds it in place. You can remove that burr with a drill. Choose a drill that just barely fits in the hole and then gently drill into the shaft. Don't actually drill into the shaft, all your trying to do is remove the burr.
Once the pulley is loose you should be able to knock the spindle out pretty easily.

Back