• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Intro and help needed

Hello all.
I'm new to the forum, but not to turning or the AAW. My father had a small business when I was young doing one-of-a-kinda and production turning and traveling the east coast craft show circuit. i started turning when I was about 11y/o (now 30something). We were both active in the NJ chapter at the time (early 90s).
I recently acquired his Delta DL40 and am getting things set up in my own home. Mostly looking to do smaller items, specifically custom saltwater lures.

Here's where the help part comes in.
When the lathe was at dad's house, it was working great. I moved it to my house a few weeks ago, and it seems the electronics didn't fair the move too well. I have no power in the control box when I turn the switch on. I checked the user replaceable fuse and that seems ok.
From the little info I can find on the DL40, there's really no repairing the electronics and they are expensive, if even available.
So what I'm wondering is if it is possible or feasible to retrofit the motor with a variable speed A/C motor with a simple speed control. If so, what am looking for and where?
If anyone has an experience or advice, I'd really appreciate it. The DL40 is a beast and the rest of the lathe is in perfect condition. It's the lathe that I learned on as a kid and am comfortable with. I'd really like to keep it alive for both practical and sentimental reasons.

Do a Delta DL40 search of the AAW forum site

It brings up two threads about the lathe from 2010.

Both talk about replacing the circuit board. It sounds like it is not hard or too expensive.

To search this forum click on the "Search \/" word and symbol in the heading above the list of threads, or the list of sub forums to get the box to put "Delta DL40" into. I used the "show posts" setting to get the two entries–threads to show.

Happy hunting and fixing.
Ann

I think I would look at possible corrosion on the on/off switch and any contacts. My old General used to get dust in the on/off switch and I could not turn it on. Took me awhile to find it the first time.
Hugh

Delta DL-40

I have the same lathe and I agree, it's a beast! When I bought my lathe, the whole controller unit was missing. I took the original DC motor to a local shop and they wired up a Baldor BC140 controller, with a heat sink, to it. It cost me about $250 but it works perfectly. I had to make a custom mount for the unit but that was very easy. hope this is of some help.
Tim Carter

I think I'm gonna try to go that route Tim. See if there's a local motor shop that can wire up a controller.
I tested the fuse and it's good. From what I've read, if anything in the controller on these lathes goes bad (except the 1 user-replaceable fuse) the whole controller system is done.

Just a thought,
you may have checked these already, if not it want hurt
Make sure that the supply plug and wires are good ( I have seen times that the electronics will ligt up but not work due to broken wire would carry the voltage but not enough amps.)
The ever important ground ( just this past week we had a control board that tested to be bad when replaced no change, found the equipment had lost it's ground)
all wiring connections. ( just because of the move been in one spot for a long time the the jolt of moving)
good luck with it that is a nice lathe

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
As Tim mentioned, you can get a replacement controller for the DC motor -- it does not need to be Delta and probably would be best if it isn't.

Changing over to an AC motor and variable frequency drive is not quite simple nor cheap. The motor would need to be a three phase motor and the variable frequency drive is much more expensive than the simple speed control for a DC motor.

Back