• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cabachons

For something different use buttons. You can find all sort at Joann Fabrics in many different themes. I'm always on the look out and find them in antique stores and country western shops have some fine but expensive options.

Thanks Stuart, Thats an interesting thought. My wife has jars of old buttons. I'll go thru them and see what I can find. Do you use the ones where the holes don't go thru and are sewed on by a shank on the back. I guess just grind off the back flat or if room on stopper could make an indention. Derryl

The holes in the buttons give loads of opportunities. You can insert small pen shaped turnings into the holes to add contrast and texture. You could wrap thread through the holes as though the button were sewed onto the wood. You could use alternate materials like copper wire for the threading. Consider what impact buttons have had in your life, holding up your pants, closing up a collar to protect you from the cold, polishing brass buttons on a uniform... Figure what the impact is and then figure how that impact can be depicted. For example a black button on a white wood like holly with the holes filled with the color of your wedding. When you think in these terms the shape of the bottle stopper becomes more meaningful as well.

This sounds like a lot of effort for a bottle stopper but when you put a piece of you into something as simple as a bottle stopper you will be making "stuff" at a whole new level.

Back