• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jean Francois Escoulen dvd

Website
www.loseby.co.uk
Over the last weekend, I helped out on the KTMP stand of Woodworks at Daventry - a show in the midlands of the UK put on by the Tudor Rose Woodturners. On the table were two trembleurs which has been made by Jean Francois Escoulen when he was filming recently. I've made trembleurs but these left mine on the starting block as regards skill and content.

The reason that the trembleurs were on the table was because JFE's dvd in which he makes these and shows you how to copy turn, was on sale for the first time. Last night I had a chance to watch the dvd and it is brilliant. Trembleurs are fascinating if not useful and an excellent skill enhancing project. You do need various centre steadies but the dvd does explain how to make these for just a few cents. Jean's English is not perfect but he does get his message across and if you want to watch a TRUE MASTER at work, you accept them for what they are.

I can almost guarantee that if you watch the dvd you will want to have a go at a trembleur. I know that Karl is a friend of mine and my opinion is likely to be biased but I think the dvd is excellent.

I do know that more dvds are in the pipeline and one to really look out for is Terry Scott's after he films in July.

Kindest regards

Paul

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The first time that I visited a woodturners club meeting about seven years ago (Woodturners of North Texas) after becoming interested in turning, JFE was conducting the monthly program. His demonstration on turning as well as the many other interesting things that I saw (someone had turned a western style hat) is the reason that I immediately became hooked on turning.

Jean Francois Escoulen

I was lucky to see JFE at Turning 2007 or 09 at Cincinnati. He did a trembler with his string steady which I still use all the time .Anyone getting a chance to see him in person do it. His DVD I have not seen but have been told by a few that it's a great video.
Anyone doing long thin work should look up his web site I believe his string steady is there it makes long and thin work allot less nerve racking.

Trembleurs

My oh my, what some of you folks come up with. The trembleurs are something to wish for. One day, I say.

The string steadies are totally new to me. I will make myself a couple of those.
Thanks so much folks for sharing.

Website
www.la-truciolara.com
Trembleurs are a personal challenge. If you do one perfectly 1,2 meters long, you know you master not only the gouges but your self control too. :)
For the string steadies, I use plywood. As you need quite a few for a long trembleur I applied on the bottom of the string steady for small magnets. That allows you to put them on the lathe while you need them.
As you cannot get the trembleur out of the lathe without sliding it in a glass or plastic tube, the fact that you can remove the string steadies one at a time while you progress with the tube prevents you from making wrong movements which might end up breaking the trembleur.

Jean-Francois in Las Vegas

We will have the pleasure to have Jean-Francois give a one day demo on June 2nd followed by a three day workshop, making a trembleur will be on the menu and of course some multiaxis turning.

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
trembleur

[will someone please tell me or show a picture of a trembleur. My curiosity is killing me. Max in cowtown Tx. Ft. Worth, that is. Thanks, MaxSIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Jean-Francois Workshop in Auguines, France

I was quite lucky to take this class last week and here are a few pictures of the result. We are looking forward for his demo and workshop in Las Vegas next month.
Oops I misspelled: It should be Aiguines

Attachments

• Photo Apr 26, 8 28 21 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 26, 8 28 21 AM.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Photo Apr 25, 6 56 21 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 25, 6 56 21 AM.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Back