• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

OT One Mystery Solved

MM,

Seen this a lot with cardinals here, have even had several doing this behavior on house windows, very unnerving when you're trying to sleep!!! I'm assuming that they are this territorial only during breeding season, but I don't know for sure.

I'm convinced that cardinals are just strange........

Rich

MM, this is not uncommon with Cardinals and house windows here. Must admit attacking the car windows is a new one though.

I take advantage of ornithological territoriality in my birdhouses, as the Audubon site suggests. Two houses facing each other produces one bluebird and one swallow family. Singles are exclusively swallows.

Even the wicked queen took it out on Snow White, not the mirror, for cryin' out loud.

In the second picture one is male, one is female.
Maybe the reflection in the glass is so blurred/distorted that the confusion is triggering their testosterone/estrogen?
Clean your windows. :D

Cardinals

Mine leave my windows alone. In Cincinnati, by daughters sister-in-law house (sliding door) had a yearly attack by a red (dumb males!!!) cardinal . Mine must be more gentlemanly!!!:DGretch

As I finish Thursday's leftover chili, the pair is attacking the wife's sedan. It's where the wagon was parked when I shot the photos, but since they have attacked it right in front of the garage, I don't think its any kind of a location thing.

Back