• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A question for John Lucas.

John, on a few past occasions you posted photos of set up tools you cut from plywood to set the distance of the "v" arm from the face of the grinding wheel for different angles, when using the Wolverine Jig.

Would it be possible to either point me to the thread that contains the photo or re-post another photo?

I've been unable to come up with either using the search function.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Here is a photo of the setup. The video above may help explain it. What I do is simply lay a rough triangle of wood in the V jig. I have the Jig set up properly for my bowl gouge. Then I take this triangle of plywood placed in the jig and trace the wheel. I cut out that curve and the cut out some waste in the middle so only the top and bottom touch the wheel. This gives me 3 points of reference. I place it back in the jig and touch the grinding wheel lightly while it's running. This cleans up the part of the jig that touches the wheel and makes it fit more accurately.
To use it I simply loosen the V jig and place the wood in there. I move the jig forward until the wood touches the wheel and lock it down. I also made some that go from the wheel to the flat tool rest so that I can get accurate repeat set ups of the flat platform as well.
I have to give credit for this to Mike Darlow. In one of his books he has a jig that looks similar but has 2 metal rods sticking out of the triangular piece of wood. These 2 rods touch the grinding wheel. It's probably a hair more accurate than mine but mine takes all of 1 minute to make.

Attachments

• Grinder-bowl-gouge-jig.jpg
    Grinder-bowl-gouge-jig.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 69
I just happen to have watched Mike Darlows 2 dvd videos on sharpening. You can rent them from Smartflix if you don't have a club and or don't want to buy the videos. He has slightly modified his jigs so they compensate for the wear on the grinding wheel. You even get a full scale set of templates with the dvds. His jigs are more for the flat rest but at the end he goes into a few of the other sets like the Oneway, Kelton, Woodcut, etc. I was having a problem with trying to replicate the Michelsen grind and I think I got the tip I needed from watching his videos. I highly recommend watching the videos. Be for warned, make sure you aren't too tired when you start watching. His first video is like sitting through a class room lecture.

Thanks to all.........

for your responses. John, your video is just what the doctor ordered, thank you.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Brian Mike's books are the same. They are just chocked full of information. so much so it's really hard to read. It reminds me of a friend who was trying to describe a professor. He said you ask him what time it is and he'll tell you how to build a watch. Mike is kind of that way. Incredibly knowledgeable and very detailed. So much so you have to pick his books up a re-read them occasionally because you missed about half the information.
I'm planning to do 3 more short videos this weekend but it will probably take me well into next week to get them downloaded. right now I can only do that on my work computer and the end of the year rush just keeps me too busy. I'm going to do a short one showing how to correct grinding problems on the bowl gouge. Another one on setting the flat platform and sharpening the John Jordan, David Ellsworth style HSS bits. Then I will do one on cutting coves. That's assuming the storms coming through don't interrupt my plans.

Back