• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

tool rest storage system

Just returned home form my winter quarters and counted up the number of tool rests I have. 8 and counting.

Interested in seeing designs for storage racks. I have a few ideas, but wanted to see what others use.

Ed

Odie,

A while back (may a year or so ago) you started a post that asked about shop storage systems - primarily for gouges as i recall, but there was a flood of great images of peoples shops and storage systems.

I cannot find the post in my searches. At the time I was just a beginner, and found the images very helpful (as I do many of your Odie's Crazy Ideas). Do you have a link to that post?

e

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Odie,

A while back (may a year or so ago) you started a post that asked about shop storage systems - primarily for gouges as i recall, but there was a flood of great images of peoples shops and storage systems.

I cannot find the post in my searches. At the time I was just a beginner, and found the images very helpful (as I do many of your Odie's Crazy Ideas). Do you have a link to that post?

e

Yes, I remember that, ebrannon........

It was very helpful to see what everyone else's shop solutions were.

I'll do a search right now.

Here's a pic of my solution for tool storage......works well for me.

ooc

Attachments

• Lathe tool caddy (2).JPG
    Lathe tool caddy (2).JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 202
  • lathe stand oct 09 (2).JPG
    lathe stand oct 09 (2).JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 189
Under-lathe tool rest storage

No picture, but I built a trapezoid shaped box under my PM3520 sitting on top of the horizontal shelf supports. Both front and back roughly follow the incline of the base, with sloping in sides as you go up. In the middle of front and back is a fold-down door allowing access to the interior shelves. On the headstock end of both sides I've drilled 1 1/8" holes into the sloping sides to take tool rests. On the tailstock end of the front I built in some temporary gouge storage for use during turning, much closer access than my wall rack.

Ebrannon my solution can be found here:

http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/tip47.htm

Richard

Great solution. I like the use of plastic sleeves and wall mounted.

My shop is always covered in chips and shavings despite having a good dust collection system. When I see these shops spotless, I wonder what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion Richard.

e

Here's how I store my tool rests

Here's how I store my tool rests

I hang a 2x4 up on a rafter after I've drilled 1" holes in it.

I've attached a couple of pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• Tool Rest Rack 1.jpg
    Tool Rest Rack 1.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Tool Rest Rack 2.jpg
    Tool Rest Rack 2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Tool Rest Rack 3.jpg
    Tool Rest Rack 3.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 94
What I do with all those centers

Here's how I store my various centers

Attachments

• Centers Rack 1.jpg
    Centers Rack 1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 90

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You guys are embarrassing me. I do have a nice holder for my tools and centers but all of my faceplates, vacuum chucks and tool rests are in one drawer of the tool cabinet. It's kind of a mess. I plan to build a small cabinet to go under the bed extension to hold my Vacuum pump and in that cabinet I will put a drawer to hold the banjo's. At least that was the plan. I like what I'm seeing in some of your ideas so that may change.

Back