• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

PM 3520 bed extension alignment

anybody else having a problem sliding their tail stock smoothly over the bed extension on the PM 3520 or did i get something that was mismatched from the factory? I have been dealing with this for 3 years with countless adjustments.

Walt,

First I do not have the bed extension on my 35-20. I have a question which you probably may or my not of thought about. Did you loosely snug the mounting bolts, slide the tailstock over so that the locking plate draws up on both the bed and the extension at the same time then tighten the hanger bolts completely?

anybody else having a problem sliding their tail stock smoothly over the bed extension on the PM 3520 or did i get something that was mismatched from the factory? I have been dealing with this for 3 years with countless adjustments.

Walt, I have the 18" extension on my 3520, and haven't had any problems with it since the initial adjustment. However, that initial adjustment was not particularly easy. There was a bit of space in the mounting holes to allow for adjustment up/down a couple millimeters. I got it right by putting a straight level across the transition, and just kept working at it until it was right. I used thread locker on the bolts, but I also snugged them quite tight! I would think that once you adjust it, it should stay, unless the bolts are not tight enough. Just my $0.02.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I haven't had any problems with my bed extension. When you install it, put it on and leave the nuts loose. Slide the headstock out so it's partly on the bed and the extension (You could use the tailstock I just installed mine on the headstock end so when I don't need it it's under the motor and kind of out of the way). Lock the headstock down. Now tighten the bolts. that should leave it perfectly aligned.

I have had mine catch when sliding it over the joint. It is usually because I didn't get it lined up right. i have a hydraulic table that helps support the extension while I bolt it up. I then place the tailstock directly over the joint and clamp it down. Check to make sure the tailstock clamp is spanning both the ways when you tighten the tailstock clamp. This will help them get pulled into the same plane.

Back