• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW March 2011 Contest

Recent postings on the Forums have discussed the subject of bleaching wood at some length. Here is a link to them:

http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/search.php?searchid=691161

With that in mind, the newest contest will be a predominantly turned piece that has some or all of it bleached. The focal point of the piece should be the bleached portion. Carving and piercing is allowed, but should be kept to a minimum.

The contest ends at midnight, CST, on March 20, 2011. All entries must be titled AAW March 2011 Contest. Up to two entries per person are permitted, and up to two photos of an entry can be submitted. Please post the largest photo you can within Gallery guidelines. The winning entry will be included in the April issue of the Journal as well as earning the admiration of everyone participating!

Remember to use these chemicals with caution, along with rubber gloves and eye protection!

Our judge for this contest will be announced shortly. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Jake,
I just updated it again, and it worked ok for now. I know that sometimes links have an expiration period, and I don't know if that is what is happening here. :eek:

Great news! Binh Pho has agreed to be the judge for this contest!

We are very pleased to have him be our judge. Let's get going on our submissions!

Thanks, Binh.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Boy Those are wonderful inspiring pieces. I picked my winner. I'll be interested to see if I guessed correctly. Congratulations to all who entered. Binh has a tough job.

Results for the March 2011 Contest!

Here are Binh Pho's comments:

I have made my choices:

First: Robert Manning Pearl Moon - This piece is really striking, has a perfect form and color of the moon, love the title… I was wondering if the moon has inspired him to do this piece or after finished the piece, it reminded him of the moon.

Second: John Beaver Wave Bowl. The curve of the wave works perfectly with the bowl bottom curve and the bleached exterior has brought out the contrast of the wave nicely.

Third: Jason Silva Collaborative II (This piece has almost totally pierced which is somewhat against the instruction (Carving and piercing is allowed, but should be kept to a minimum.)but I’m still able to see the nice form of the vessel. (My apologies to Jason, but the photo that was posted here was one of two Jason submitted. The correct photo is posted here now. His title Collaborative II.)

Binh Pho

Congratulations to our winner Robert Manning, and to all who participated. I will ask Binh to provide a comment about the rest of the pieces as well, and will post them here when they are available. Thanks go to Binh for doing the judging! Stay tuned for the new contest.

Attachments

• PearlMoonRobertManning1038.jpg
    PearlMoonRobertManning1038.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 41
  • wave bowl contest.jpg
    wave bowl contest.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Collaborative_II.jpg
    Collaborative_II.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Kudos to Robert Manning, and the runners up. The creative energy displayed in all the entries speaks well of the enormous talent and vision spread throughout the turning community.

And thank you to Binh Pho for taking the time to judge this contest.

Last edited:
Website
www.californiawoodartist.com
After reviewing the pieces that were submitted, I tried to put myself in Binh's shoes as far as judging this contest. I'm in agreement with John Lucas that it would be a tough job with all these fine entries.

As far as inspiration goes, I am inspired by life. Sometimes the name comes even before a sketch is made. Often the concept comes into my mind's eye in a blink of vision that is then recorded in a drawing. Having photographed our moon, I am definitely inspired by it and this may only be revealed after those many layers of life are peeled away to discover that pure moment hidden in a fog of complexity.

Many thanks to Binh and all the other fine artists.

Photo courtesy NASA Images.

Attachments

• NasaMoon.jpg
    NasaMoon.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 7
Website
www.etsy.com
As happy as i am to be picked as a third place winner, i have to ask...i submitted two pieces. The name of the third place piece is Collaborative II, which i did with Cliff Guard. The pictured piece is a suspended form i made later. If the third place piece is indeed the collaborative piece, i would like to give Cliff Guard the credit he deserves since he turned the finial, base and the form that Bihn Pho comented on. Which one is it?

The contest was a blast i'm humbled to be surrounded by so many talented turners.

Robert Manning-A well deserved recognition though I would have picked Clara over Pearl Moon. After seeing images of your work and your comments I believe you are inspired by life without being hoakey about it.

Sorry to be so late in congratulating the winners, as I just got back from CollaboratioNZ 2011 in New Zealand. I, too, would love to hear Bin's comments on all of the pieces, as I feel this is important for helping us evolve our work.

Congrats to all for work well done!

Smiles,
Rick

Back