• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Deep Hollowing Rig For A VB36

I am looking for someway to adapt a deep hollowing rig to my VB36 bowl lathe. I have contacted Kobra, Monster,Jamieson, and Hegner - the manufacturer and noone has come up with any suggestions. The problem is that the VB36 bowl lathe does not have a bed and all the systems I've seen mount on the bed. I know we have some engineering wizes out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
There isn't any reason you can't build a free standing secondary tool rest for a system like Lyle Jameison's. I did that for several years with my mini lathe and used the same wooden free standing rest for my big lathe before I finally modified it to fit on the bed of the Powermatic.
To do the size work you could handle on the VB I'd make it beefier. In fact if you are near middle Tennessee I'll let you have a homemade free standing metal rest made from a truck rim. It would be very easy to add a captured secondary rest to it.
The free standing rest has the advantage of being moveable if the boring bar hits the end of the rest while trying to hollow unusual shapes. I often have to stop the lathe and readjust the tool rest mounted to the bed and sometimes it won't go quite far enough to give me the movement I need. With the free standing rest you just stop the lathe and move the rest wherever you need.

I'd build my own out of plywood. essentially, you need a big stable box behind you to keep the tool level. Bolt it to the VB. It's not going anywhere.

Keep your cutters small and the forces aren't all that bad. You get into trouble trying to cut too much wood, too far over the tool rest, too fast...

Back