• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Using Shellawax.

Website
ubeaut.com.au
Hello all. I have had a couple of requests from members on how to use Shellawax on a bowl.

I hope the attached pictorial helps those with problems.

Attachments

• Shellawax.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 331
Just my thoughts...
I'm not real crazy about moving things on the lathe and cloth of any type.
Accidents happen and they do so very fast... I know it's all folded up, however, some people manage to get their fingers in the cloth and the benign lathe becomes a force from hell.

Last year or so there was a video making the rounds of a man who was pulled into the lathe, very horrific.
I personally know a guy who had his "skinned" fingers sewn in his abdomen for a year while new tissue and skin grew. Pained me to see him.

So, I use paper towels and try to ensure my fingers aren't trapped. Do the old pinch grip... Still have had paper towels pulled from my fingers...

If this saves someone terrible pain, then I've done my job of preaching safety. I try to live by the words "Safety First"...

Just my thoughts...
I'm not real crazy about moving things on the lathe and cloth of any type.
Accidents happen and they do so very fast... I know it's all folded up, however, some people manage to get their fingers in the cloth and the benign lathe becomes a force from hell.

Last year or so there was a video making the rounds of a man who was pulled into the lathe, very horrific.
I personally know a guy who had his "skinned" fingers sewn in his abdomen for a year while new tissue and skin grew. Pained me to see him.

So, I use paper towels and try to ensure my fingers aren't trapped. Do the old pinch grip... Still have had paper towels pulled from my fingers...

If this saves someone terrible pain, then I've done my job of preaching safety. I try to live by the words "Safety First"...

Thank you John, even being a newby to turning, I still think safety should be first all the time.
I use wype-all paper towels that are very heavy, but will tear if needed.

I've had good sucess with the blue paper towels often sold as "mechanics" towels. They don't leave any blue on the wood, are very tough, but will tear if something goes wrong.

Website
ubeaut.com.au
Sorry for taking so long to respond.

I shudder when I see some peoples method of work.

Paper towels can be used effectively but be wary that you get "soft" paper not the really hard stuff.

Back