• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

PM 3520b Owners

A special Hello to all PM 3520b owners.

My question is, when the PM 3520b is plugged in, the digital display shows "0".
Will leaving the lathe plugged in all the time have any adverse affects on the electronics ?
This is the first lathe I have ever had with a digital RPM readout. Looking through the manual, I could not find anything pertaining to this.
Thank you,
Jim

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
No worse than leaving your flat screen TV plugged in all the time. It will use a tiny bit of power (don't know how much), and there is the possibility of a surge from lighting, etc.

mine has been plugged in for the last 3 years except when I travel and have not had any problems.
do know of a couple of people who installed switches in the line to shut things down but haven't seen a need for it.

plus if i unpluged it i would probably spend five minutes trying to figure out why it wasn't working:D

IAN

I wired an outlet box to the PM3520 with a 220V for the lathe, and 110V outlets to plug sander and light into. It's right within easy reach and I always (almost :) ) unplug it and untension the belt when I leave it, it's become a habit.

Website
www.docwks.com
Mine stays plugged in most of the time. I use a twist lock connector on the power cord as I use it for my lathe and Band saw. Since I live in Florida if it is storming, we unplug everything as we have way too many lighting strikes. I have never lost wood working equipment, but I have lost $4000 plus in electronics over the years. I have tried and still use all kinds of surge suppression systems, none work against a strike. All of my home network PCs and servers are protected using APC equipment, but when we get storms, I just unplug period.

I have a disconnect switch on the lathe as it came from the factory. When I am done using it I push the off button. If it is going to rain or storm I always un-plug. I hope that I am doing it right.

Thanks,

Dave

Unplug it

Another unplugger here. Those electronic inverters are expensive and sensitive.

Website
www.digitalwinners.com
I leave mine plugged in most of the time (along with most of my major tools), and use the off button and lock the shop when I am not there. But all my 110 tools go through one of those plug strips...with surge protection. I wonder if such a thing is available for 220?

I live in FL just an hour and a half north of Tampa, lightening capitol of the world. I have a 2 pole disconnect switch at the lathe and a whole house surge suppressor wired on the lathe side of the switch. I always switch off when not turning and unplug if storms are expected. I should also note that I've taken 3 strikes on the property. Two of which took out trees over 2ft in diameter and did electrical damage in both the house and workshop.

Last edited:
I also have a two pole disconnect switch and I unplug after finishing a session. Like Scott, I have had lightening damage in the past, so why risk it.

question
if you just use a disconnect switch and there is some type of surge. It seems to me that it could back feed trough the ground wire and into the tool. Unless it is complete disconnected.

I would think that if the lathe itself was insulated from the ground (i.e. rubber feet/castors or wood lifts), that the ground wire would probably not transmit electricity through the lathe. However, metal legs against damp concrete might be another story.

I'm curious if a lot of people de-tension the belts on a regular basis? I hadn't thought of that until it was mentioned up above.

I do not relieve the belt tension when not in use.
However, I do leave the belt tension slightly low in normal use
so if a serious catch occurs (or if I forget to unlock the spindle)
the belt can slip a bit as opposed to doing any damage to the machine or me.

I always

unplug when leaving the lathe each night if I remember. That is getting to be a problem at my age. Do have a whole house surge protector on the electrical panel in the shop. Have been hit by lightening on the street light outside my home only once, which took out all of the electronic equipment - computers and all. Not a pleasant experience. I now have ups systems and surge protectors as well as the whole house surge protector installed. That first hit by lightening is a very expensive one - particularly the 3 phase controller in the lathe. I guarantee you will install all of these things and be much more cautious after the hit.;)

Website
www.alancarterstudio.com
I have a switch hard wired to mine that I turn off when I'm going to be gone, even if just a few hours. I also have a dedicated breaker that I never remember to turn off but will now put up a reminder next the lathe. It doesn't always take a storm to produce a power surge. We had one that happened out of nowhere and wiped out a coffee maker and a couple of surge protectors for electronics. A bit unsettling.

A special Hello to all PM 3520b owners.

My question is, when the PM 3520b is plugged in, the digital display shows "0".
Will leaving the lathe plugged in all the time have any adverse affects on the electronics ?
This is the first lathe I have ever had with a digital RPM readout. Looking through the manual, I could not find anything pertaining to this.
Thank you,
Jim
I have a 3520B 2003 The inverter gets slightly warm when i leave plugged in .
Yesterday the lathe runs fine but the RPM shows 0 at all speeds. does any one have a simple solution for this problem?

I live in FL just an hour and a half north of Tampa, lightening capitol of the world.
We chartered a sailboat out of Fort Myers 15 or 20 years ago. Had a direct hit at the top of the mast while at anchor in an afternoon passing thunderstorm. Day 2 of a week long charter. Blew out all the electronics on the boat.
Me to charter operator: How soon can we get another boat, or the boat fixed and back out?
Charter operator: As soon as you give us another security deposit ($1,000).
we spent the rest of the week camping.
Came back home and consulted a maritime lawyer. Upshot: we assumed “ownership” of the boat during the charter, and the security deposit was equal to the boat’s insurance deductible.

I have a sign next to my shop door reminding me to unplug the lathe and turn off the lights.

I have a 3520B 2003 The inverter gets slightly warm when i leave plugged in .
Yesterday the lathe runs fine but the RPM shows 0 at all speeds. does any one have a simple solution for this problem?
Looks like PM sells the digital readout, #37 in the manual page 32, as a complete unit, sensor and display. The sensor needs to be positioned fairly close and lined up with the rounded square corners of the locking collar #64. In dim light I can see the reflection of the Led in the sensor (mounted upside down), on the cast iron surface below the sensor. With the power on, E stop engaged, belt change cover open, slowly rotate the spindle by hand and the red Led should flash every time the rounded corner of the Locking collar passes the sensor. Before making adjustments, turn power off. You might as well remove the DRO Cover #39 with the sensor attached and verify that the Locking plunger #59 is is lined up with the locking collar #64 and the locking collar setscrews are tight to the spindle shaft. Verify that there is no visible damage to the sensor. If you can't adjust the position of the sensor to flash you don't have many options. Manual is available on line from PM. Do not make any adjustments with the power on.

Last edited:
I have a 3520C that comes with a disconnect switch on the back below the inverter case, but it's low enough that a rogue grandkid could reach it. To alleviate that risk, and make it more convenient for me, I bought another switch & case on Ebay and mounted it on a post behind the lathe. Easier for me and harder for a kid to reach. It doesn't switch the ground though, so if I'm concerned about lightning strikes I still disconnect the plug. I'm not certain that a switched ground matters or not, but unplugging removes any doubt.

Back