• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

remounting stripped WoodWork Screw

Okay, it is easy to see who is new around here.

Yesterday I was turning some of the very green wood I got from the next door neighbor who had a tree cut down. The log was cut with the chainsaw to fit on my lathe but it is too thick for my band saw to make it round. As I was turning it round (insert head slap here, because I just figured what I did wrong) it came off the Woodworm Screw, stripping out the hole so I cannot remount it.

How much danger will I be in if I mount a ½†lag screw in my chuck and use that as a replacement for the Woodwork screw,(this time bringing up the tailstock to help hold it.)?

I am not so much worried about turning the wood as I am about the wood turning me.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Why not mount it between centers. Turn the outside and leave a tenon or rebate on the bottom to fit your chuck. that's how I start every bowls. I have 4 of the screws that came with my chucks and except for the occasional platter I never use use them.

Re-mount it on a Face plate

You could re-mount it using a face plate.

I usually just mount them between centers and turn a tennon like John suggested.

If you do decide to use the spur drive to turn between centers, I suggest you make a counterbore about 3/8 deep to seat it in. That will keep it from flinging easily if you screw up and hook it with your tool.

Safe alternatives for starting include faceplates, as suggested, or, for smaller pieces, pin jaws on your scroll chuck. I have a dedicated pin chuck which gives me a way to turn green and dry with no danger of dismount. Never could get the woodworm to work the way I wanted it to.

I'm with John and MM on this. I'd just put it between centers, and if it's particularly big or out of balance, I'd bore a hole the same size as my spur center (1") about 3/8" to 1/2" deep as a recess for the spur center to sit in.

The screws that came with my chucks are sitting in a drawer virtually untouched. I tried using them when I first got them, but had problems with the holes stripping out like you did. (And it looks like you also learned that the tailstock helps when using a screw mount.)

My experience has been that drive centers make great drill bits on wet logs. I've tried the 4 prong, 2 prong, steb...
So, I now believe in face plates and use masonry screws. The 3 inch long blue ones.
Then I make a 2 step tenon. I turn a 4 inch diameter tenon, then reduce 1/2 inch of it to 3 inches. This allows the chuck to sit against it and provide a strong contact.
Doing a one step seemed to help contribute to tenon failure. Not fun having 20 lbs of wood heading your way...

Website
www.docwks.com
I'm sure you already know this, but using a screw chuck on end grain is not a good idea. It's like putting a spiral knife down through a bunch of straws. You are cutting the straws as you are going so the structual hold is from the conntection between the sides of the straws. Mounting it between centers is the best way or face plate with at least 4 screws. I usually put a tenon on and mount with a chuck and live center until it time to hollow out the vessel.

Back