• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl from a board - stack lamanation

I am interested in getting into stack lamanition and am looking for more information. I have Malcom Tibbits's DVD and it has a short blurb and also joined his site Segmeted Woodturning. The DVDs are great! Mainly I am interested glue up samples.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I am interested in getting into stack lamanition and am looking for more information. I have Malcom Tibbits's DVD and it has a short blurb and also joined his site Segmeted Woodturning. The DVDs are great! Mainly I am interested glue up samples.

Check the archive of past issues of American Woodturner. The Winter 2005 issue had a layered bowl article by Jim McPhail starting on page 14. There are numerous examples shown that should give you some design ideas to get your creative juices flowing.

Last edited:
Glad you joined us over on the segmented site. I love Bowls from a board. I make many every year. They are "fuel efficient" and one can use leftovers many times & come up with a super looking bowl. They can be made with a bandsaw, scrollsaw, or on a lathe with a ringmaster. Anybody can make these. The easiest way to get started is to take a scrap board, about 8x8 and give it a go. Lots of info all over the internet & in books. Have fun! See ya over at the site

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Everyone has mentioned the sites that I have found. I am currently working on a tools to use in a captured bar system to make the parting cuts easier. I should clarify that. I cut some of my bowl from a board on the lathe using a parting tool. Hand held that is a hassle. I built a metal lathe parting tool holder to fit in the handle of my Jamieson style captured bar system. I sure takes the stress out of parting off rings.
I haven't been able to do any other testing on the device due to personal chores that need doing. I hope to finish those up by the end of February and then I can get back to playing with this device.
Since your new to BFB turning there are two techniques. The bandsaw method where you cut the board in half and then cutout half rings and glue them back together. Then there is the parting tool method similar to using the Ring tool, where you simply cut the rings out and stack them up.
In the bandsaw method you always have that extra glue joint where you glued there half rings back together. The ring cutting method eliminates this glue joint but the parting tool wastes more wood than the bandsaw. I'm sure there's more to explore and I will probably discover it as I play with it some more.

...Since your new to BFB turning there are two techniques. The bandsaw method where you cut the board in half and then cutout half rings and glue them back together. Then there is the parting tool method similar to using the Ring tool, where you simply cut the rings out and stack them up.
In the bandsaw method you always have that extra glue joint where you glued there half rings back together. The ring cutting method eliminates this glue joint but the parting tool wastes more wood than the bandsaw. ...

Bob Hamilton's method (linked to above) may be the best of both worlds. He uses a sliding dovetail to join two contrasting boards together (walnut and maple for example). He then disassembles the sliding dovetail joint and uses the bandsaw to cut semi-circles from each board. The semi-circles are joined (sing the sliding dovetail) to form each ring. This eliminates the glue joint (or highlights it) John mentions above. It also allow you to use the bandsaw to cut the rings rather than a parting tool.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Stop By the Tampa Woodworking Show-- Sunday 20 March and watch Steve Marlow.
Steve will be demonstrating a stacked ring bowl in the AAW Center Stage area
You can ask him questions right on the spot

Sunday show open 10-4
10:15 11:15 Bowl from a Board Steve Marlow
Learn how to take scrap boards and leftovers from your last project, and turn them into beautiful, functional turnings with no real measuring or calculating. An incredibly efficient turning method. Easy and fun.

Happy turning,
Al

Last edited:
Back