• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Threading Jig

I caught the last 20 minutes of Tim Yoders Woodturning show on PBS this past weekend. He was using a threading jig on his Stubby. Does anyone know who the manufacturer of that jig is?
Thanks,
Brian

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Brian
If you check the credits I think you will see a reference to Soren Berger. I believe that Tim had a prototype of his threading jig

Ralph

Oh? Seemed like a pretty cool jig. I was thinking the Klein was only for the smaller lathes. I quickly checked out Soren's website and if it was his then I think he made a couple changes but it could just be the small pics on my mobile. It will be interesting to see what his price will be on the jig.
Brian

i was lucky to see Michael Mocho's rotation------Hand-Chased Threads Without Expensive Woods recently

he used thread chasers from Mark St. Leger
www.markstleger.com

and a special threading Elixir that he can supply at a nomial cost :D

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
If you are interested in a cost effective system, a woodturner and flute maker over on Woodnet posted something to think about

He took a 3/4x10 tpi all thread rod. Connected it to one of those Oneway Live center to chuck adapters. Put a hand crank on the other end, mounted it (using two nuts and some steel) to a drill press sliding vise. Mounted that on enough Birchply to center raise it to center line on his lathe.

He put a cutter in a collet chuck on the head-stock.

He mounts the box/object/whatever in the chuck on his jig and cuts the treads, Obviously it's limited to 10 tpi, but it's certainly cheaper then Sorens, Best's or Bonnie Klines products.

TTFN
Ralph

Here's another DIY apparatus, with a home-made X-Y vise: http://homepage3.nifty.com/manasan/english/diy/turning/turn-1.htm

Click "Threading" or scroll down to it. Then click as instructed.

I think a bloke in Australia made a similar device, but I don't have the link at hand.

Something like the one Ralph described is on my bucket list, but slightly simpler (no adapters):
1x8 all-thread to mount the chuck. And a hex nut to jam mount.
Two hex nuts separated by a truck engine valve spring to eliminate backlash. Hand crank at the far end.
The hex nuts clamped in the jaws of the X-Y vise.
The X-Y vise mounted high enough (*) to center the all-thread, and mounted with its axis at 30 degrees to the lathe spindle.
A 60-degree dovetail cutter in a Jacobs chuck on the lathe spindle. (Received it yesterday from Grizzly, ~$10).
Not yet decided which way the hex nuts should be clamped - (*) it matters. Probably best to clamp the faces to reduce stupidity factor.
Limited to 8 tpi. Variations could match other spindle threads. Any adapters would affect runout.
The travel limits of the X-Y vise will limit the size of the work. And my X-Y vise doesn't yet have measuring scales.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Jake I bought the Bestwoodtools rig before I started hand chasing. The reason was the wood. I don't buy much exotic wood and you really need very hard wood to chase threads by hand. Well that's not totally true, I'll speak on that in a minute.
I bought the threading machine because it will cut decent threads in softer woods. I have even cut threads in Box Elder which is really soft. It was a pain in that I had to cut about .005" per pass and rotate the wood very slowly. However it did work. I regularly cut threads in woods as soft as Walnut and Mahogony, Cherry cuts really clean and even the softer maples. None of those would work with hand chasing.
When I got into hand chasing I had purchased some Boxwood. It is a fabulous wood to thread. However I don't really have a good source to buy it. The other woods that work are also quite expensive. I learned to chase threads using PVC pipe. Nice and cheap. I've been working with epoxy and Inlace for a long time so I decided I would try chasing threads in epoxy. It works really well. This way I can use the inexpensive woods and still put threaded lids in them. I just cut a groove in the piece before I hollow. I fill this with epoxy. Then I just turn away the wood and chase the threads into the epoxy.
I believe I will have an article on how to make your own thread chasing tools in the next issue of More Woodturning. I may have the issue wrong but I think it is the next one.

Back