• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Storage of Finished Work

Hi all,
I believe everyone that turns wood is faced with the problem of storing and protecting your finished work. I have most of my work sitting on some shelving in two different rooms. Recently this has become a problem with my current living situation, and it needs to be changed, ASAP.

What methods do you use to store your finished work ?
I would like to have a 12' x 14' room lined with adjustable shelves, kind of like a library.
Thank you, Jim

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hi all,
I believe everyone that turns wood is faced with the problem of storing and protecting your finished work. I have most of my work sitting on some shelving in two different rooms. Recently this has become a problem with my current living situation, and it needs to be changed, ASAP.

What methods do you use to store your finished work ?
I would like to have a 12' x 14' room lined with adjustable shelves, kind of like a library.
Thank you, Jim

Hello James......

A temperature controlled environment is best. My bowls on hand are in the home, where the temperature is usually between 50-75 degrees F. They are stored bagged in plastic grocery bags and stacked on shelves in a large walk in closet. There are at least a hundred finished turnings stored this way. When bowls are shipped, they are placed in shipping boxes with lots of packing, and never touch one another during shipment, like they do on the shelves.

My method isn't good for display, and I have a feeling you might be wanting some of your work on display......yes?......or, are you strictly talking of storage?"

ooc

Last edited:
Storage

Thanks Odie, I'm looking at a minimum storage time, looks like I'm going to be moving in about a month or two.
I didn't know if the plastic bags would affect the finish.
Thanks Jim

storage

James,
I had the same problem, my wife has them everywhere and now she says I must store some of them( probably one hundred or so) so she suggested I use the many plastic ,lidded bens that she used when we moved. They are about two by 3 by 20 inches high with lids so they are sealed when packed and ready for shows and selling events.
They will stack nicely and hold quite a few bowls and are very sturdy.
I must have 10 or so stacked in the upstairs storage area. I keep some on shelves downstairs for viewing.
If you turn, you are going to have this problem and I turn like I am addicted so keep on stacking. Gary

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Thanks Odie, I'm looking at a minimum storage time, looks like I'm going to be moving in about a month or two.
I didn't know if the plastic bags would affect the finish.
Thanks Jim

Jim.......I pretty much use Danish Oil exclusively, and I've seen no adverse effects from the plastic bag storage. Couldn't say that other types of finishes will not be problematic, but have heard nothing to suggest it is. Can we assume that, if we've not heard of a problem with plastic bags contacting all types of finishes, that there is none? Hopefully, if somebody has had a negative experience, that they will post to this thread.....I would be interested in hearing other input on this subject.

As stated, it is a temperature controlled environment, and dust free. I've had some bowls that have been stored for 5-6 years that have come out still having a new and crisp look to them. The walk-in closet is used for this purpose exclusively, so the access door is seldom opened......very little air movement there.....or light.

Gary's suggestion of plastic sealable storage containers is a good one. I would think this might be a superior way of storage when storing in a more open room, or larger closet.

ooc

Last edited:
Website
groups.yahoo.com
you guys all bring up good points, I haven't even really thought about where to stored all my turnings. I just finished building two sets of shelves like this and planning on putting more turnings on them in the future. I also have a china closet filled with carvings & turnings and need to start moving some of them out of there. In my studio I've been more worried about wood storage and not finished products so I guess it's back to the drawing board for that part. I guess it's also something to think about as I'm building my shelves in my office too.

Attachments

• IMG_2567.jpg
    IMG_2567.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2565.jpg
    IMG_2565.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 90
Storing bowls in plastic

I don't know about plastic bags but I had apparently not let the finish cure and stured a bowl in bubble wrap. It was a Christmas present and ended up with little round circles on it whereever a bubble touched it. I was devastated that Christmas, but have seen the bowl since and it seems to have gone away. BEWARE THE EVIL BUBBLEWRAP!

A soft oil finish, like Mahoney's Walnut oil will take a week or two to cure out. The bubble wrap will leave little bubble dimples in the finish. They are very easily wiped off with the synthetic steel wool pads. I use the grey ones for a matt finish. Most penetrating oils will bleed out a bit and need this type of maintenance.

My bowls go into tubs, with layers of bubble wrap between most of them. When taking them out for a show, I wipe them all down. In between shows, I have them stacked up in my garage/office on a table. Makes a nice climbing tower for my cats so they can get up on the rolled up garage door. I put a 4 foot wide man door in, which was better insulated, and has a window.

robo hippy

shelves

[Jeff, your shelving and home really looks nice. Did you build them? I built some just like that for my office and put shelving in the hall leading to the office. They are all filled up with bowls and carvings that I have done over many years. I am a retired art teacher, shold have been an industrial arts person as much wood as I work with.OTE=jschnell1203;73616]you guys all bring up good points, I haven't even really thought about where to stored all my turnings. I just finished building two sets of shelves like this and planning on putting more turnings on them in the future. I also have a china closet filled with carvings & turnings and need to start moving some of them out of there. In my studio I've been more worried about wood storage and not finished products so I guess it's back to the drawing board for that part. I guess it's also something to think about as I'm building my shelves in my office too.[/QUOTE]

Storage

Thanks to all for the response. I think that I will use the plastic bags and some card board boxes for now, I'll keep them in a climate controlled enviro. Most of this is older work, 5 years and more.

Bubble wrap is strange stuff, I made a Dulcimer about 4 years ago, and while doing the finish sanding on the finish, I laid it on a piece of bubble wrap to protect the walnut back. I had to stop and didn't get back to it for a couple days. When I started to put the finish on the back, all these dots appeared and I just kept on finishing it. A friend wanted to know how I got the effect in the finish. It was a good laugh for me. By the way, I left it that way.:D

Website
groups.yahoo.com
yes I built the shelves myself, the set with the fireplace are about 58" wide and built them out of mdf, primed, painted twice, top & bottom are separate, weigh about 250 lbs each. The shelves are mostly melamine. The other set are all melamine and around 46" wide, weigh about 200 lbs, built as one piece. I had a lot of fun building these with my wife which was really good so that when we ran into problems she understood and help make the next design change.

storage

I use plastic tubs.(50-60 gal) for bowls, and flatter ones for craft stuff.
I store them in the basement, all "jammed" together with biggest in the bottom in a box and build up. I must have 8-9 boxes of "inventory" .The newer ones are stored in my daughter's "ex" bedroom, and when I go to craft shows/sales I look to them first as they are the newest. The finish isn't markedly affected by storing them this way/ Careless transport can cause some scratches./ But I figure, these are to be used, so "get used to it"!!!!. Artsy ones are separated and more care given between bowls. Gretch

whilst my wife is fond of what I do, shes not a collector. So most get moved on at Christmas and there's only less than 1/2 a dozen around the house.

Deft would be a finish that I would worry about with plastic contact. I know it loves to melt into some vinyls. A layer of tissue paper would eliminate the contact.

finish melting

Deft would be a finish that I would worry about with plastic contact. I know it loves to melt into some vinyls. A layer of tissue paper would eliminate the contact.

Is that with hi heat??????? Haven't seen a problem with the containers housed in spare bedroom. Others with Gen finish danish oil are in the basement which rarely gets above 78 in the height of simmer heat. Gretch

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm kind of in the same position. I'm not ready to do shows or some other selling venue but I'm getting too many pieces to store. I certainly don't have the space in my house. I'm looking at building some cabinets in the upstairs bedroom. Think of these as shelves with doors. The idea is can stack and pile them carefully but don't have to worry about how it looks.
The bigger "Art Pieces" are the problem. They have been wrapped in tissue paper and then bagged in plastic with either bubble wrap around that or packing material. Then they are placed in boxes, labeled and stacked. Those are in my bedroom. Ugly and sometimes in the way but I don't know what else to do with them until I have all the pieces finished and start looking for a place to have a show and then hopefully sell them.
Or, I could just fill up the house from top to bottom and let my son worry about it when I die. He'll either have one hell of a sale or one hell of a fire. I'll have to remember to buy a wood stove to put in there just in case of the latter.

Back