• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Where's the Pro's

I've been wondering for a long time Where's the pro's.The Journal has been taken over by the 2 minute turning 3 weeks carving sand blasting drilling and any thing else that's NOT done on the lathe.But when you come to the forums none of them are here to question or see pictures of the how to do it.All the other forums are actually usable and have this kind of info.The How to Forum on this site is deplorable.I really don't see why anyone would wont to join AAW here.The only reason most of the guy's I talk to are members of the AAW is because the local Clubs say you HAVE to belong for insurance.How about getting some usable info ON TURNING,carving,drilling and blasting on this site.
Everything I say is my opinion and not meant toward any single person.
Harry Robinette

Last edited:
Harry, I am with you I feel as if this is the largest woodturning group there is, but compared to other fourms it is one of the most inactive.

I hope it will change and more people not just the PRO's will post and show more pics. I look foward to surfing the web every morning, with my coffee and spend less than 5 min. here compared to running out of time on others before the day starts.......

This is a never-ending issue. It certainly can be frustrating for folks new to the hobby to find that those who are in charge have progressed so far they have forgotten what a new turner wants and needs. They're hanging out with an altogether different bunch.

I see a bunch of pictures of beautiful wood turned naturally up top now, so there are still more conventional types here. Ask your questions, weigh and try the answers and let the potters and piercers do their thing.

On a more positive note, you can do a lot less sanding on something if you carve, burn or pierce, so try some.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well we actually have about 5 forums here and that might be part of the problem. There is a newbie forum, then there is the gallery, then the main AAW forum, a Classified, etc. So it could simply be that the answers are spaced out or even asked on the wrong section.
I do agree things have slowed down here but not nearly as slow as 2 other forum's I visit. Of course none of them have the volume of WoodCentral. Wow is a great site for photos but the discussion side gets pretty slow. I think the AAW Forum is still in there and has some great discussions.
As far as the turned 2 minutes and the rest carving have you looked at the Gallery. Most of the turnings are purely turned. some do have some carving. Some of course have a lot of carving. Now seriously tell me, how many articles would you read on just turning a bowl or ball bat. There needs to be variety.
Do you know how to get a good discussion going? Ask a question. If all you do is write in and complain you won't learn anything. Asking a question is how to get this site moving. There are a lot of incredibly sharp people willing to help. We will answer questions on sharpening and using scrapers or how to sharpen your carving chisels because there is a very wide range of interest and skills available to the people who frequent this site.

John is right.

Well we actually have about 5 forums here and that might be part of the problem. There is a newbie forum, then there is the gallery, then the main AAW forum, a Classified, etc. So it could simply be that the answers are spaced out or even asked on the wrong section.
I do agree things have slowed down here but not nearly as slow as 2 other forum's I visit. Of course none of them have the volume of WoodCentral. Wow is a great site for photos but the discussion side gets pretty slow. I think the AAW Forum is still in there and has some great discussions.
As far as the turned 2 minutes and the rest carving have you looked at the Gallery. Most of the turnings are purely turned. some do have some carving. Some of course have a lot of carving. Now seriously tell me, how many articles would you read on just turning a bowl or ball bat. There needs to be variety.
Do you know how to get a good discussion going? Ask a question. If all you do is write in and complain you won't learn anything. Asking a question is how to get this site moving. There are a lot of incredibly sharp people willing to help. We will answer questions on sharpening and using scrapers or how to sharpen your carving chisels because there is a very wide range of interest and skills available to the people who frequent this site.

I personally benefited from the advice given on this site by pro and hobbyist alike. Often the answer to someone else's question answered one of the questions I didn't know I had. But someone needs to ask to start a discussion.

How Tos

Another suggestion is Youtube. I do a search for Bobham5 and he has a wealth of demos out there. Also, on PBS (although spotty in my area) has a show called Woodturning Workshop. He has had a sandblasting demo. Hope your day gets better!

No one is getting it I've been a member and have check out this forum for 12years now.This is the main forum and it is DEAD the pro's or want to be's have taken over the AAW and the main body of the people are the in the basement,garage and corner of the room turners.I'm saying there shouldn't need to be a bunch of questions ask.The point is where are the people that have taken the American Association of Woodturners to the American Association of Wood Manipulator"s .They have taken over everything except the lathe which is what we're all about I thought.
I would like to see a forum that actually had these people discussing the methods ,tools and reason for what there doing.
If not then tell the people about the forums that the people do care about wood turning and let this thing die.You have it split up and I've been on all of them and it's the same thing.
We as turners have a good no great organization here if the HAVE"S would try to help the HAVE NOT'S.The beginners forum is ridicules SOMETHING NEEDS DONE WITH THIS...

Website
www.velvitoil.com
I too have attended this forum for quite a long time. First of all you do not need to be a professional to produce beautiful turnings and help others do the same. I have never seen a request for help go unanswered.
If you want to know about any embellishment techniques you can always contact the person who has done the work.
It is wonderful that we have such a diversity of turning philosophy represented here.

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
You have seven total posts, two of them complaining about how little activity there is, and being fairly rude and derogatory about the people you think should be posting. You want others to write things for you to read?

How about YOU make a helpful, thoughtful post? Surely you have something to share, or at least a question to ask. :)

John

Hi Harry,
I'm not exactly sure what your looking for. When I started turning there was no internet, well no internet forum on turning. I found the information the old fashioned way, I went to the library and read every book I could get my hands on, and I tell you there were not many.
You say you've been on this forum for 12 years but your join date is Sept. 2010 Hugh ???????
There are not a lot of pro's using this forum, John Jordan and Malcomb Tibbits more than any. And they always have good advise, and will answer any questions about anything to do with turning. Hey, I'll answer your questions if I can. All I see you doing is complaining about what isn't, may be you can make it happen, what ever it is your looking for.
Keep coming back.
Jim

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
No one is getting it I've been a member and have check out this forum for 12years now. the main body of the people are the in the basement,garage and corner of the room turners.

Harry, 12 years of woodturning is a lot of experience.
You need to get out of your basement and share what you have learned.

Join a local club, do demonstrations, enter the AAW contests.

you have formed ideas about your woodturning path. Show what you are doing, influence others in a positive sense.

happy turning
-Al

Website
www.etsy.com
I'm with the "pro's" on this one...since asking a simple question in this thread, i have recieved multiple answers and two PM's. This forum is great and has never let me down. If you have a question, ask it and it will be answered.

Harry...

From the readings I would take it that you have been turning longer than myself, which is about 6 years. My learning comes from the local club. We have 4 pros in a year for a demo on Sat. with hands on classes the next three days. There is only one person that I did not sign up for in the last 6 years.
I did miss another class that I had signed up for but was not able to stand on an injured knee.
My point is, get out there and meet the people, join a club, if ya got a question, ASK IT, someone will answer it. Then it is up to you to take the information and put it to use. I'm not a pro but I try to interact with them when I can, and I have not met one that will not try to help you. Unless you are a jerk toward them.:cool:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Pro is a relative term.
There are a lot of people here who make money at woodturning. Do they make there living at it, no, maybe not.

But there are more people here that can offer great advice that have a hell of a lot of years at woodturning. Here, I am a pup with 15 years.

But with a forum, you get out of it what you put into it. Since you have formed an opinion about other resources that are better, let us know where. Found a great video, let us know about it, a good article, post a link.

If all you want to do is bit*ch about it, then in my opinion, go away. No smiley face. And for the record, we haven't been here 12 years, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt on that one. Yes, I am kinda defensive here. I, like many others, am proud of the community we have built here and have always taken constructive criticism and used it.

Hmmm me thinks Harry might be a troll in training. LOL

Maybe, maybe not. But Barbara brings up a valid concern.

I don't know if this is the case with Harry, but 1.3 million user names and passwords have been compromised. These passwords have been torrented across the web

Info Here

The problem is many people use the same account info for every website they visit. So people with nothing better to do troll websites using other people's identities and post messages.

So, if you use the same login info for every site you visit, (ie, forums, banks, Visa, etc) it might be a good idea to change your password.

Last edited:
I have always been puzzled by the lack of activity here. Since the AAW is the biggest woodturning organization around, why isn't it busier? Maybe the magazine explains it. It is more about the 'Art' than about the actual turning skills. While I do aspire to be more artistic, most turners are on the hobby level. Perhaps that is why Woodcentral and Sawmill Creek are way more active. They do have the artistic side, but are geared more to the average turner.

robo hippy

Every time I see a post like this I wonder if other folks get a different Journal than I do.
I suppose we focus on things selectively. Like what we like and dislike other parts.
I suppose that if every word in every article could appeal to anyone who picks up the Journal, it would be one of the best selling magazines in the country.
That's not gonna happen ( sorry Betty ).
Of the 3 woodturning magazines I read, not one of them is a totally satisfying/inspiring experience.
I tend to believe it is my likes and dislikes that drive that opinion, not the quality of the magazines

The same holds true for Web forums.
Some are very clubby and chatty, some more matter of fact.
I browse several daily and every once in a while get some good info.
That is not to say the rest of the info is no good, just not what I am looking for at the time.
I do know that if I ask a question in any one of the forums, I will get answers.

I did notice tonight that in some of the sub forums here ( How to, and newbie ) that the posts were cut off sooner in time than my settings.
I was seeing only the last 30 days of How to for instance, even though I was set to see all threads. I had to change the setting to a different time frame, save, and then change it back to all threads to see the old stuff.
To my knowledge I had not changed my settings, I just noticed that they were different.
I would hate to think that someone coming here to visit would not see the older posts by default. Don't know if anyone else noticed this.

anyway, back to the playoffs, Go Green Bay!

Mark.

Last edited:
I have been a member of this forum for about 3years or more. I usually lurk quietly and absorb what I can. If you use the "search" you can most often find info and help on any subject. I have often seen questions asked that could have been resolved by first searching, in fact it is quicker than waiting for replies. Some of the best replies I have read have been pulled from the archives to save re typing all over again.. I also visit other forums and each seems to have it's own "flavor" so to speak. I enjoy them all. I think that it is a little unrealistic to think that you can get all of your needs met in one forum. I find that turners, no matter where you find them, on the internet or in the real world, are the most friendly and sharing group I have ever met. I have been involved with other arts in the past where this was not always true. Example: try to get the complete recipe for a signature glaze from a potter. They protect them.
I thank all of you that make this forum work.

Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
Harry, I guess I am a bit confused. I dont actually log in here very often but each time I look around there is to me anyway lots going on. Plenty of questions and advise to those that ask. I do answer a question now and again. I only actually joined this forum this last summer.But as a full time professional turner I want to ask a few questions of you.
How many times do you want me to answer the same question?
That answer is why there are books and videos and lots of great turners to learn from. So, how many times? Till no one asks anymore. But no matter how many times it gets asked the folks pro or not who have an answer will answer.
Will the subject of art vs craft stop coming up? No. But on some sites like WOW it takes a new bent on the subject to get people thinking enough to even think about responding. That horse has been beat so much its hard to even find the stain anymore. Do you have a new bent on that or any other subject you want to start a chat ? You do have to ask.
Do you think any turning question you have is a new question?
A little search will most likely tell you its been asked many times.
I also subscribe to three woodturning magazines. I find all three run the game from downright newbie to extreme make you think it came from an alien mind out there stuff.
One last question. Your personal answer to it will make or break your ability to actually learn. Do you want to bit#h or get involved?

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Kelly, I so enjoy reading your posts. You are the 'Dennis Miller' of the woodturning community. And I mean that in the most positive way possible. You always make me chuckle :D

I have always been puzzled by the lack of activity here. Since the AAW is the biggest woodturning organization around, why isn't it busier? Maybe the magazine explains it. It is more about the 'Art' than about the actual turning skills. While I do aspire to be more artistic, most turners are on the hobby level. Perhaps that is why Woodcentral and Sawmill Creek are way more active. They do have the artistic side, but are geared more to the average turner.

robo hippy

Let's not forget Woodnet.net's woodturning section - lot of helpful and active people there too

You Missed Harry's mea culpa 4 hours earlier

Harry, I guess I am a bit confused. I dont actually log in here very often but each time I look around there is to me anyway lots going on. Plenty of questions and advise to those that ask. I do answer a question now and again. I only actually joined this forum this last summer.But as a full time professional turner I want to ask a few questions of you.
How many times do you want me to answer the same question?
That answer is why there are books and videos and lots of great turners to learn from. So, how many times? Till no one asks anymore. But no matter how many times it gets asked the folks pro or not who have an answer will answer.
Will the subject of art vs craft stop coming up? No. But on some sites like WOW it takes a new bent on the subject to get people thinking enough to even think about responding. That horse has been beat so much its hard to even find the stain anymore. Do you have a new bent on that or any other subject you want to start a chat ? You do have to ask.
Do you think any turning question you have is a new question?
A little search will most likely tell you its been asked many times.
I also subscribe to three woodturning magazines. I find all three run the game from downright newbie to extreme make you think it came from an alien mind out there stuff.
One last question. Your personal answer to it will make or break your ability to actually learn. Do you want to bit#h or get involved?

Kelli -

Harry has already apologized for his approach to the forum. No need to continue to beat him.
As he said:
"To all the people of the forum,I am truly sorry that my post have caused this amount of trouble.I did not mean for this to happen.I'm am use to seeing pictures and how-to do's just posted I didn't realize you have to ask questions
about the stuff that you don't know is happening.On SMC everyone post what their doing an show pictures some in progress and everything so I'm sorry thats what I'm use to and I thought thats how forums work,I will do my best to stay in the parameters of this form.But if you don't know what new things people are doing because it's not being shown ,how do you ask the questions.
I do hope you will accept my apology,I am truly sorry.

Harry"

You are correct!

Barbara - you are correct about the timing. I must have read Harry's new posting prior to seeing Kelly's comment in the other thread. I actually checked the times at that time and obviously didn't get as far as the PM! May be we need to change to a 24 hour clock! :)

Kelly - I retract my comments! Now I'll go back under my lathe with my stack of magazines:)

Jerry

Okay, so I know this thread has been dead for a couple days, but....

Content aside, I have to agree that the activity here is relatively low. That said, I used to check in on certain forums daily. Forums are great, and they can provide a lot of excellent information, but they can be addicting. My unrequested advice: don't let your search for information take away too much from your time in the shop. I have learned that there is no substitute for "taking a stab" at an idea, hands on.

Other than that, I think asking questions is a great idea. I know there are a lot of people who would love to help if they can.

Website
Jerry, A little slow to check in. We cool. I get hauled on the carpet now and again over on WOW. Last time Papa Herm(the boss) called me from canada and I had to promise to mind my manners. But I am known to call it as I see it. Sterling Sanders said it best of me. Up front.

Me Too!

Kelly - In Syracuse, we do our penance every winter - we are at 111" of snow with 2 months of winter to go.

How does that work on the big island??

Keep calling them as you see 'em!

Jerry

Website
Jerry, the summits of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa are covered in snow. What some folks do is drive the truck up the mountain and fill the bed with snow. Then come back down and have a snow ball fight before it melts. Or build a snow man. Its been close to 15 years since I last went up to sled. Not much air to breathe. So freezing cold and snow on the mountains and hot and sunny at the beach. On the north end where I live its breezy and about 65 degrees F. this morning with trade wind showers. Plenty of chop out on the water between us and Maui. But time to go out and turn some bowls.

Back