• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Beginner & Segmented bowls

I’m new to this form, and woodturning ( don’t even have a lathe but thinking about the Oneway 1224) Saw a demonstration on segmented bowl construction and turning at a Coulee Region Woodturners meeting last month. It was an outstanding demo IMO and they seem to have a great group of members. I am planning on attending their next monthly meeting and joining at that time, but in the mean time would like to ask for suggestions about books or videos that would let me know what to expect in the way of tools needed, and procedures for constructing and turning segmented bowls. I purchased “Woodturning with Ray Allen†by Dale Nish this weekend which I am reading now. What grand craftsmanship, and I particularly love his southwestern Indian designs. Now it’s a great book but I’m one of those that likes to learn from more than one source since it helps me to understand the processes quicker.

If I get into turning I believe that segmented bowls is the place I want to go and with bowls that would be no more than approx. 8 inches in diameter. Do I have the talent for it? I don’t have a clue. :confused: I realize that I will need to learn basic lathe techniques before trying to turn segmented bowls. I could at least begin to construct segmented rings in my shop to practice the precision required in cutting and fitting segment blocks.

I’m beginning to think that I should attend classes somewhere on basic lathe work with well trained instructors so that I can get up to speed as quick as possible and also find out if I can learn to use the cutting tools properly without being to ham fisted. :eek:

Thanks for your time.

Patrick in Galesville, WI

Website
www.picturetrail.com
Patrick;
Good luck when you get your lathe and start learning about turning. There is quite a learning curve but it is very enjoyable. When you start into segmented turning it does get very interesting. My first segmented bowl was from the instructions laid out here at this link and it was quite straight forward and easy and turned out better than I expected..
http://woodturningonline.com/index.php

EDIT
Hmmm . . don't know why that link is not a live one when I click on it. If it doesn't come up for you just copy and paste it into your address bar and it will show for sure.

Starting with a very simple one like that gives a nice little foundation to go on to more advanced ones.
Creep, then walk and then run.
W.Y.

Last edited:
One thing to consider is that Segmented Woodturning involves a lot more woodworking skills than just normal turning. Also, do you have the other necessary woodworking tools, such as jointer, table saw, cut off saw, planer and disk or thickness sanders? Further, It's estimated that up to 80% of your time will be spent in cutting, sizing and gluing up segments and the rest in turning and finishing.

I've read quite a few segmented woodturning books and can highly recommend: The Art of Segmented Woodturning, by Malcolm Tibbits 2005. Tibbits is the Master of segmented woodturning.

Bruce McElhaney said:
One thing to consider is that Segmented Woodturning involves a lot more woodworking skills than just normal turning. Also, do you have the other necessary woodworking tools, such as jointer, table saw, cut off saw, planer and disk or thickness sanders? Further, It's estimated that up to 80% of your time will be spent in cutting, sizing and gluing up segments and the rest in turning and finishing.

I've read quite a few segmented woodturning books and can highly recommend: The Art of Segmented Woodturning, by Malcolm Tibbits 2005. Tibbits is the Master of segmented woodturning.

Bruce - I have the following power tools in the shop

Table saw
cut off saw
bandsaw
PerformaX drum sander
Drill press
scroll saw
sawdust collector system
ceiling mounted air cleaner
routers
small disk sander

and would expect to add any useful tools as needed.

Just got off the phone ordering Malcolm Tibbetts' "The Art of Segmented Woodturning"

William and George - thanks for the URLs. Those will keep me busy for some time. Looks like lots of good reading at both. Like the looks of the cut off sleds and will probably build one for segment cutting.

JimQ - Down loaded the beginners segmented bowl from the woodturnersonline. That looks like a good project for a starter.

Thanks again to everyone for their input. From all I'm hearing woodturning is a real got-cha! :)

Last edited:
Website
www.phoenixwood.ca
don't forget open segments

Bill Smith has another must have book for open segments - with additional techniques - "Segmented Wood Turning"

The Oneway is a great lathe and has an indexing wheel for making open segmented work. Plus you can build your own indexing card when the index wheel no longer has enough stops or you want an odd number combination. Bill's book even has templates for you to copy and paste.

You might want to get a veneer press screw to build a press to clamp your stack of rings.

Looks like you have all the tools to get a good start.

Bruce is right about the construction time,

Attachments

• 13f1701d1.jpg
    13f1701d1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 691
Dedicated web ring

Patrick,
There is a dedicated web ring group which just specializes in segmented work. http://q.webring.com/hub?ring=segmentedwoodtur

This site will give you lots of info (overload). There are also some nice software programs available from some of the sites that help to design your work on the PC which can provide pictorials, cutting angles, segment edge length, etc, etc. Some of the programs have free trial downloads.

I find the programs nearly as much fun as the turning and a heck of a lot cleaner. You can get several designs done via the PC quite fast. These programs really take a lot of the trouble out of the design process.

John Taylor

This is a good web page.

Patrick

This is a good web page to look at for seqmented bowls and he has a good software package too.

www.turnedwood.com

You may want to take a look I use his software and love his bowls.

Ray Ebersole

Back