• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I just renewed my AAW membership for 2011. Anyone else?

You bet. I'm in for 2011 for sure.

Cheers, Tom

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I renewed a month or more ago. I support woodturning all the way and the AAW is the biggest organization trying to educate woodturners. Besides that I love the magazine.

2 years

Yes I renewed for 2 years. I have symposiums to demo at and you gotta be a member in good standing for the ins coverages:D

renewed

Got it Done! Hope for a quiet year at HQ. Merry Christmas to one and all!! Philip

Our woodturning Guild (The El Camino Woodturners Guild) paid for my membership along with 55 other memberships, all in one packaged deal. We’re all pro AAW members and support it’s mission.

Curtis Thompson

Yup!

I just renewed - 2010 was my first year as an AAW member and I have to admit it was memorable!

I'm looking forward to the St. Paul symposium and hope to meet a lot of folks that I have talked with online over the years!

Merry Christmas everyone and the very Best of New Years!

I renewed last week............I did it with some reservations because of the mess this summer with the Board of Directors whom I thought handled the entire ML affair with incompetence and I am still bothered by the whole thing.

That is the first time I have voiced my opinion about the issue, but I realize the organization must move forward. Now everyone just seems to pass it over as "the past" but nothing so far of substance has come from the dissatisfaction that has been voiced in the past by members, just a "lets move on" attitude.

At minimum there should have been some apologies by BOD members!

ABSOLUTELY renewed this year. The magazine and access to the archives alone is worth the price of admission.

Website
www.docwks.com
Re-up

Had too, club requirement and I'm the treasurer and if I didn't I would have to give up my high paying, glamours position! Can't have that! I'm looking forward to 6 copies of the magazine and continued help for the local clubs. Happy Holidays!

I won't be renewing mostly because of this year's little soap opera. My secondary reason hits closer to home.

At our lumber yard, we stock the basic oak, cherry, maple, and pine lumber. We also sell exotic woods, whole burl and turning blocks in our showroom. This year, I had one too many AAW members come through the door asking and sometimes demanding their discount. Yes, Demanding! I had one guy come in, and before even saying "Hi, How ya doin'?", he barked at me, "I'm a member of the AAW! What's my discount?". I realize that these guys are only a small percentage of an overwhelmingly great group of people, but it is getting old. It is one thing if a customer is a frequent visitor to the yard. Usually we will discount simply because he is a "regular". But, if it is your first trip to our facility, please be careful what you ask for, the smiling man at the counter may ring you up as a "price code 3"....(this code adds 30% to the base price because the customer is being a jerk)

I won't be renewing mostly because of this year's little soap opera. My secondary reason hits closer to home.

Harvey, the "soap opera" as you refered to it is not all that uncommon within organizations that are experiencing major growing pains. Hopefully, we as an organization, can work through it.

I can relate to your frustration with customers that for some reason or other feel entitled to special treatment. Since retiring several years ago I work part time at a local hardware store and am amazed at how some folks just view the business as an adversary rather than a supplier of their needs/wants. Fortunately these are in the minority, and as you stated, are merely an irritation, to an otherwise good day.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!

At our lumber yard, we stock the basic oak, cherry, maple, and pine lumber. We also sell exotic woods, whole burl and turning blocks in our showroom. This year, I had one too many AAW members come through the door asking and sometimes demanding their discount. Yes, Demanding! I had one guy come in, and before even saying "Hi, How ya doin'?", he barked at me, "I'm a member of the AAW! What's my discount?". I realize that these guys are only a small percentage of an overwhelmingly great group of people, but it is getting old. It is one thing if a customer is a frequent visitor to the yard. Usually we will discount simply because he is a "regular". But, if it is your first trip to our facility, please be careful what you ask for, the smiling man at the counter may ring you up as a "price code 3"....(this code adds 30% to the base price because the customer is being a jerk)

I hear you, Harvey........

Those customers of yours that "demand", are example of a particular breed of AAW members.....

After contemplating until the last minute, I did renew.......but, as you do, I've got some major concerns about the course of AAW. Elitism seems to permeate this organization.......or, liberalism, if you wish to label it as such. The focus of this group seems to be individual gain within the group, control, and promotion of a style of art that is far from the traditional roots of woodturning. The latter has it's place, certainly, but as the focus?......don't think the "rank and file" AAW member is concerned with this much.......most just want to learn the technical aspects of turning, and don't concern themselves with aspirations of climbing social ladders.

I have renewed, mainly because I value the information contained in the AW magazine's articles, and as a general resource for purchases......and, most importantly, because of this forum. Both of these things have been a great help to me. Because of the varied forum opinions and discussion concerning woodturning, I have made improvements in my technical knowledge, and have improved my methods of turning. This, has been something of incalculable value for my own personal pursuit of satisfaction in life......

ooc

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Odie For the life of me I simply can't understand the elitism. You could walk up and start a conversation with anyone of the people you might call elite and if you didn't know who they were you would sit and chat just like with your neighbor. I know, I've done just that. I've been at the national symposium looking at tools and start a conversation with the person next to me about said tools, just like I would with you. Only later do I find out I was talking to of quite renown.
I know there are groups of higher ups that hang out together. That's not being elite it's just they have a very common interest, perhaps selling at the same venues or galleries etc.
I'm not trying to jump on you I just simply don't see it. I've worked run video cameras for some of the top demonstrators and at first I was a little awe struck and afraid to say anything or to move the camera for fear of disturbing them. I was definitely wrong. They are all as nice as can be and very willing to work with you to make a better demo.
I'm certainly not saying there aren't those people out there. I've met one or two but they are darn few.
As far as asking for a discount. If you don't ask you won't get one. You can certainly be polite about it of course. I do use my birthday discount at Woodcraft although they refuse to believe I'm 39. :)

odie

TOTW Team
Odie For the life of me I simply can't understand the elitism. You could walk up and start a conversation with anyone of the people you might call elite and if you didn't know who they were you would sit and chat just like with your neighbor. I know, I've done just that. I've been at the national symposium looking at tools and start a conversation with the person next to me about said tools, just like I would with you. Only later do I find out I was talking to of quite renown.
I know there are groups of higher ups that hang out together. That's not being elite it's just they have a very common interest, perhaps selling at the same venues or galleries etc.
I'm not trying to jump on you I just simply don't see it. I've worked run video cameras for some of the top demonstrators and at first I was a little awe struck and afraid to say anything or to move the camera for fear of disturbing them. I was definitely wrong. They are all as nice as can be and very willing to work with you to make a better demo.
I'm certainly not saying there aren't those people out there. I've met one or two but they are darn few.
As far as asking for a discount. If you don't ask you won't get one. You can certainly be polite about it of course. I do use my birthday discount at Woodcraft although they refuse to believe I'm 39. :)

Hi John.......

The elitism I see at certain levels of the AAW is very similar to the same we see in the NEA. It showed itself this past year. Once this "philosophy" takes hold as a controling interest in the proceedings, it won't allow for what it considers competing interests to be heard, or succeed, except on a superficial level.....and, will do whatever it takes to support and protect itself as a status group within the whole. It's a never ending spiraling sort of thing that gets out of control to the point where the original goal of the entirety become lost, and serves only to forward the interests of the few.

Even though the NEA is used as an example, the AAW has yet to degrade to that level. It would probably get there in a hurry, if it were supported by public funding.

ooc

Even though the NEA is used as an example, the AAW has yet to degrade to that level. It would probably get there in a hurry, if it were supported by public funding.

ooc

Odie, please forgive my ignorance, I Googled "NEA", on the first page three hits may, in some way fit your description. Could you or would you qualify which organization you are referring to?

odie

TOTW Team
Odie, please forgive my ignorance, I Googled "NEA", on the first page three hits may, in some way fit your description. Could you or would you qualify which organization you are referring to?

National Endowment for the Arts

AAW renewal

I renewed mine on Dec. 31 and there has been no charge to my card yet but I expect it early this week. I joined in November, retroactive for the year and did have some small qualms about the value of membership. At $35 there are some resources worth the price, the magazine has some pretty pictures and horribly written articles but I really don't expect the New Yorker or Sculpture International quality of writing. The how-to articles are excellent and worth the 35 bucks. What way the AAW ends up remains to be seen but I feel certain there will be organazitions for the artzy folks and the how -to traditional ones.

Good luck and good turning.

Wayne spence

AAW Renewal

Renewed my membership a year ago and am good thru 2012. Looking forward to the 25th anniversary in St. Paul. That is my wifes birth city and we are going to do a little touring and visiting some friends while there.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
...the magazine has some pretty pictures and horribly written articles but I really don't expect the New Yorker or Sculpture International quality of writing.
Wayne spence

I checked out your profile and noticed:
Friends
Wayne Spence has not made any friends yet

And by your post above, it doesn't look like you'll be changing that situation any time soon!

(In keeping with the subject matter, I renewed my membership this week for the 9th time.)

Back