• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Small flexible neck light for inside bowls, vessels.....recommendations?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I saw this light at Woodcraft, but was disappointed to see the reviews. Seems like much use and the LED lights on this one will probably fail.

I'd prefer something that can be powered by 110v.

What else is available?

Also, looking for recommendations from satisfied users.

Something with a longer neck, maybe........?

Thank you very much.....

ooc

Link:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003199/26141/WoodRiver--LED-Dual-Power-Shop-Light.aspx

Attachments

• 149727_400.jpg
    149727_400.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 67
Odie, a friend of mine has that light you mention and in my opinion it's not worth the cost of the packaging. Not much light and a really short neck. We've done some things with the Ikea light that has come up in numerous threads on this issue and it's far far better than the one from Woodcraft. It will give adequate light to use as a thickness indicator on green turning especially if the area near the work piece is darker than the light. We turned a green wood lamp shade with the Ikea light and had no problems. It was much brighter than we expected so I got several to use around the shop. I have one mounted to a shop made magnetic base on my band saw and it's filling that need just fine.

Led

Odie type in the search box LED or IKEA on this forum me and several others have posted a lot about them and they are only $10 and they fit through the spindle of the larger lathes so you can light from the inside out .

And they are great. Johannes Michelson uses them on his hats.

http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=8051&highlight=ikea

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
The links on that thread are no longer good.
The JansJo light can be seen at:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10128734

It looks like they don't have many left and that there is no Ikea near you...
Not sure what to tell you.
I have several, but not sure how many I'll end up using, so not ready to let any go... :cool2:

Website
www.cwwoodcraft.com
I just bought 4 of those lamps from Ikea that Georg provided the link for, and they work great. It is an LED and provides a good bright light. Also the base is not attached when you get it and it has 2 studs with screws. I drilled a couple holes in the belt cover of my late and hard mounted it and it works great. I did the same thing on my band saw. For $9.99 you can't go wrong.

I made a trip down to DFW Ikea store and purchased 15 of them. Got to the club meeting with 10 and they were gone before the meeting started.
Good light and your imagination is your only limit to mounting it.

odie

TOTW Team
Thank you all for the posts and letting me know about the IKEA light. Eventually, I'll get something like that......looks just like what I need.

Hard to understand the reasoning why no internet sales, and only store pick-up......whatever.

I can make do with my current set up.....it's not too bad. I'm using fluorescent 4' twin bulbs just above the lathe, and two flexible neck lamps mounted on the headstock. For the most part, this is adequate, but there are those times where a little light to go inside the bowls with inward sloping walls would be a good thing to have sometimes.

Pretty sure there is something like this available on the industrial sites, but just haven't found it yet......

Still hoping someone might have input to this thread and show us all something that may be as good, or better than the IKEA.........:D

(Don't worry about it, George....you keep those that you have......I'll come up with something!.....and, it's not something that I have to have right this minute.......because, like I said, my current lighting is pretty good.)

ooc

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
You might also want to check Harbor Freight. I have a flex-shaft, magnetic-base, LED (battery) lamp I bought there a couple years ago. I put it on the tail-stock (or ways) and point it into the form

odie

TOTW Team
You might also want to check Harbor Freight. I have a flex-shaft, magnetic-base, LED (battery) lamp I bought there a couple years ago. I put it on the tail-stock (or ways) and point it into the form

OK, thanks n7bsn.......

I see it, Gordon 2 Piece Flexible Shaft LED Light for $8.99

That will be a possibility, if nothing else turns up, but I think I'd rather have 110v light.

ooc

If you want to DIY a seller on ebay has 18†lamp goosenecks for $5 (search - gooseneck flex arm). These are heavy duty and I coupled two together for a 36†neck. You can purchase any type fixture you want a Home Depot, etc for about $10. The one I got is only about as big around as a silver dollar and is a spotlight. My lathe is against the wall so I mounted mine on the wall, it reaches any position I need and a simple push gets it completely out of the way.

Check out Moffat.com for various flex arms and bases. Find a bright but small led flashlight (another words, a good one) and tie strap it to the end of the gooseneck. You can have clamp or magnetic bases. The batteries last a long time with led's unless you forget to turn it off. You can get this rig almost into the bowl while you are turning for great visability.

odie

TOTW Team
(OK, thanks captjim)

Here's a 20w halogen flex neck lamp with magnetic base I located at MSC Industrial supply. Head diameter is 3", so would be adaptable for wood lathe purposes. Manufacturer is Electrix.

http://www1.mscdirect.com

There are two versions of this light. One is part No. MSC #: 06549505, and is the 20w halogen version for $125.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1758962&PMT4NO=0

The other is part No. MSC #: 73100554, and is LED, but much more expensive at $212
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=23465267&PMT4NO=0

We have one of these where I work on one of our CNC machines. Funny how I really never noticed it before! This is a very well built and quality lamp......built for industrial use. I'm not sure if the one we have at work is the LED, or halogen.

I have a question for anyone who would care to input.......

Other than less energy consumption for the LED, and higher heat output of the 20w halogen lamp, what other pro/con considerations might there be between the two of these lamps?

Any other comments are welcome.

ooc

Attachments

• Electrix MSC 06549505.jpg
    Electrix MSC 06549505.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 20
I think the led will hold up to allot more abuse. I have a bad habit of knocking stuff over and 1 good jolt will take out a halogen bulb.

small lights

I use a batty powered long neck single led light that I get from Harbor Freight
I know it sounds crazy but it works great for me I can even tape it to my Kelton
hollowers and work with it inside hollow forms.I don't have a way to mount it but for that I use 2 moffett lights with 100 w cfl daylight bulbs.alot of white light and little heat.
Hope this helps

odie

TOTW Team
Thank you to Griesbach, Timothy Rowe, George Guadiane, bsaks, and glenkey for letting me know about the IKEA Jansjo work lamp.

I just wrapped up a couple of auctions on ebay and purchased two of these IKEA Jansjo work lamps for use on my lathe. Total cost was $33.50 for the two, which includes USPS shipping to my address. I guess overall it's not such a bad price for two........

I thought about that Electrix lamp from MSC, but I just didn't want to shell out the money for one of those......nice units, though.

I plan on hot gluing some industrial magnets to the bottom of the lamp bases. That way, they will be very versatile as to where they can be placed on the lathe.

Again, thanks for the heads up on this........

ooc

Attachments

• Ikea Jansjo Work  Lamp.jpg
    Ikea Jansjo Work Lamp.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 15
Another idea for a magnetic base...

Odie, the base on the Ikea lamp is metal with a chunk of concrete inside which gives it stability. Unfortunately, the width and weight of the stock base would make it tough to mount on the tail stock or a vertical surface even with the industrial magnets.

The good folks at HF have provided us with a great alternative to gluing magnets. They have what they describe as "Magnetic Decor Hooks". They are about 3" wide and 3/4" thick and chrome plated with a ring magnet (65 lb. pull) inside. The "hook" part is pop-riveted in the center and can easily be drilled out or ground off so the lamp could be mounted.

The item number for the hooks is #65528 and the cost is $2.99 for a package of 2. The only drawback is, like the lamps, they are only available for in-store purchase.

odie

TOTW Team
Odie, the base on the Ikea lamp is metal with a chunk of concrete inside which gives it stability. Unfortunately, the width and weight of the stock base would make it tough to mount on the tail stock or a vertical surface even with the industrial magnets.

The good folks at HF have provided us with a great alternative to gluing magnets. They have what they describe as "Magnetic Decor Hooks". They are about 3" wide and 3/4" thick and chrome plated with a ring magnet (65 lb. pull) inside. The "hook" part is pop-riveted in the center and can easily be drilled out or ground off so the lamp could be mounted.

The item number for the hooks is #65528 and the cost is $2.99 for a package of 2. The only drawback is, like the lamps, they are only available for in-store purchase.

Sandy........Hey, thanks for the steer!

You know, I happen to have one of those magnetic hooks that I use for hanging a clipboard on. It's exactly the same thing, but the hook is a little different.....a very strong round magnet in it. I think you're right, it will do the job. I got this one where I've bought some of the other industrial magnets I've used......(think it was a little more expensive, though.) They are on hand at Lowes.

As luck would have it, there is a local Harbor Freight right here in Missoula!......so, I will be able to check it out......but, there isn't an IKEA close enough to get to without filling the gas tank and packing a lunch! Ha!

Thanks

ooc

For an alternative mounting, consider a switchable magnetic base, usually used for mounting a dial indicator; several different forms. Chances are, you won't be using the dial indicator at the same time as the lamp. Grizzly #H3328, $7.95 by itself; and I think HF has similar products.

odie

TOTW Team
For an alternative mounting, consider a switchable magnetic base, usually used for mounting a dial indicator; several different forms. Chances are, you won't be using the dial indicator at the same time as the lamp. Grizzly #H3328, $7.95 by itself; and I think HF has similar products.

Thanks Joe........

This is also a good idea, and I've got a couple of those switchable magnets, too! I've had mine for many years, and they were the base for a couple of shop lamps. Wasn't aware that the magnet was available separately, so will try to see those too, once the Ikea lamps arrive.

You can see the switchable magnet on top of my headstock in the photo.....

Headed off to work now, sigh......

ooc

odie

TOTW Team

Attachments

• image_1450.jpg
    image_1450.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 30

odie

TOTW Team
The two IKEA Jansjo work lamps arrived today, and I got one of the switchable magnetic bases from HF. Put the two together and it is a great solution to my needs.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. This particular need has never been satisfactorily addressed on my lathe......until now.

Took the 2nd lamp and stashed it for spare.

I hope the necks on these lamps can withstand some twisting around without losing their stiffness.......anyone care to comment about that?

I've been using a laser pointer for pinpointing a particular spot on the wood as it turned. I made a special jig for that task, but ditched the whole thing! It turns out that the laser pointer can easily be attached to the neck of the IKEA lamp and it works better than the homemade contraption I made up......so, I'm killing two birds with one stone!

It sure is nice when you find solutions to nagging problems......and, this IKEA lamp is a good example of that! :D

Thanks again.......

ooc

Ikea lights

I have a Ikea LED light although its a single its very bright with a good flexible neck time will see if it will remain so.
But for the moment its an excellent light, heavy base no magnet as yet.

odie

TOTW Team
After using the Ikea flex neck lamp for awhile, I've found it is just what was needed. Small bulb housing can be positioned very close to the interior of a bowl. Overall, I'm very satisfied with how well this lamp adapts to this turning application.

One small problem........Today, I noticed the space inside the bulb housing is filling up with fine wood dust. This is probably from sanding. Only thing is, it's a complete mystery how the dust is getting in there. Looks like it's not open to the outside.

The lamp lens really isn't intended to be opened up, but managed to get it off by prying with a miniature screwdriver. The dust was then dumped out, but I did slightly bugger the lens.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience, and if there is any alternate method of dumping the dust.....or preventing it from getting in there.

thanks

ooc

Last edited:
Website
www.docwks.com
Using a piece of Angle aluminum I attached an Ikea light to my demo lathe, see picture. If you need a really good magnet, don't forget those old Hard Drives laying around, open one up and take out the magnets. No one will ever be able to copy your info and you think those magnets from HF are nice wait till you try these. I trash a lot of HD for people because they don't want someone to get their info, the magnets I keep, the rest gets smashed or recycled.

Attachments

• Light mount.JPG
    Light mount.JPG
    372.3 KB · Views: 53
I bought a set of two at harbor frieght for maybe 7 bucks. The longer of the two is proably 16-18" in length, 1/16 thick flexible shaft and works pretty well for attaching to the top of a tool or just peaking into a hollow form as your working on it.

Back