• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Magnetic pick-up tool with telescoping handle.......

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
If you're like me, there is a continual layer of wood shavings on the floor of your shop. Sometimes it gets a little discouraging to see it right back this way, only hours after cleaning up! :D

(Clean up is with a big garden rake, a large garbage can, broom, and a snow shovel, btw! )

It was earlier this year that I dropped a little specially fabricated pin I use for tool support on a pin rest. It probably took not less than an hour to find the little bugger! I made an order for supplies a couple months ago, and saw they had a sale on this little magnetic tool. My frustration was still fresh on my mind, so I purchased one........

Well.......a few weeks ago, I dropped that same exact pin into the shavings behind the lathe.....Again! Grrrrrr! :mad:

It did take a couple of minutes to find it, but not longer than that! This little magnetic pick up tool is a welcome addition to any shop that sometimes resembles the sand dunes of the Sahara Desert mingling with your equipment and floor! Ha!

It was well worth the small price, and I just don't know why I never thought to get one of these before......because I can remember not being able to find little dropped metal things in the shop........for decades! Heh,heh,heh!

Oh well.......better late than never!

ooc

Attachments

• pick-up-tool_l.jpg
    pick-up-tool_l.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 97
Website
www.turnings.basketryetc.com
Yup, great minds think alike.:rolleyes:

I use a bolt chuck (as opposed to a screw chuck) for some flat production work I do and am constantly dropping a washer or nut into the shavings.

Jimâ„¢'s Corollary to Murphy's Law states that any unique and irreplaceable object dropped onto the floor will inevitably roll, bounce or move by other means of self-locomotion, under or behind the most inaccessible object located within shouting distance, generally coming to rest behind said object's legs, wheels or other low-hanging, unreachable protrusion.

My magnet pole gets regular usage as a result.:D

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
Magnetic pick-up tool

I keep about 3 of those. Found them at HF, about 3 bucks apiece. great for extending the life of your back. Max

If you don't care to buy one of them, put a cow magnet in a plastic bag, tie to a string and drag it around. The bag allows you to quick release that mess of nails or screws you made back into their container.

cows

I would bet a lot of turners have that telescoping magnet. Great for burrowing
into the pile were the allen wrench, grub screw etc disappeared.
I tried the cow magnet trick, but it attracted more cows then I wanted
and cleaning up after them was more trouble then it was worth:)
c

I 've 3 back saver and number of bigger magnets that will pick up about 5 lbs with a thread all for a handle, thanks for the plastic bag trick

mbinga

I have always had at least one of these little darlings on my bench, even back before retirement, in the machine shop. Anything dropped into the bowels of a large turning center will always be out of reach, the only problem there was dealing with the chip's, don't have that problem on a wood lathe.

Magnetic pickup

Also makes a good project to make a wood handle for the pickup tool. Looks lots better then the painted handle. I like the things a lot, also. Have them scattered all over the shop, probably have three or four.

...Jimâ„¢'s Corollary to Murphy's Law states that any unique and irreplaceable object dropped onto the floor will inevitably roll, bounce or move by other means of self-locomotion, under or behind the most inaccessible object located within shouting distance, generally coming to rest behind said object's legs, wheels or other low-hanging, unreachable protrusion...

I like the way you think, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. :p

I purchased one of those magnetic pick up tools yesterday because of this thread...........I should have done it a long time ago..........I hate dropping washers or screws or something and then trying to find it in all those shavings..............most of the time I hear it clanging in the impellar of the dust collector :eek:

not so good! thanks for posting this tip!

Back