• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Off topic

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
We got an Amazon Kindle for my wife when they first came out.
My son now has that one, and my bride has the newest generation Kindle. You can share purchases across multiple devices.

The Kindle pretty much disappears during use... you're simply reading without the device getting in the way.

She loves being able to download sample chapters while sitting in a diner. If she likes a book, it's on her Kindle within two minutes, no computer necessary.

The Kindle travels with her all the time, it's just there, and it's her prefered method of reading.

Website
www.velvitoil.com
A friend of mine recently bought a Kendell. That got me interested so I did a little research and found that it and the Nook are rated the best. Then I started pricing books. If I had bought the books I read just last month I would have spent over$100. All of a sudden the library is looking very good.

just this year i came of age, i no longer have to pay library fines, two weeks is just not enough time to get them back :D

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I'm going to take the contrary tack

The Nook, for several reasons:
  • Kindle is a closed platform, you can only read books from Amazon, if Amazon folded, you would have no method of buying books (yes I know that's not likely to happen, in the lifetime of the device)
  • Amazon can (and has) deleted books from people's Kindles, by mistake yes, but still
  • Nook is an open platform,
  • Nook supports e-books bought from B&N, or any other seller that supports it's formats.
  • Nooks supports FREE ePub or PDF books obtained from many Public Librarys or any e-book where any copyright has expired (like the Classic's). You can obtain these via Project Gutenburg

TTFN
Ralph

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Those are some powerful arguments in favor of the nook... does anyone know whether it is possible to print from either device?

I am thinking that if I am reading the digital copy of a magazine and want to print plans if I will have to copy it to the PC first.

Website
www.bobchapman.co.uk
Just for info, PDF files can be loaded and read on a Kindle. I put them on from the computer using the USB cable that came with the kindle. You can also get free books online, try Googling 'free books for kindle'. Several sources are obtained - I've not investigated them all.

My wife and I have a Kindle each and we are very pleased with them.

Bob

I go by the buying bible - Consumer Reports says Kindle. That being said, I didn't buy mine, my wife got me one for my birthday - after reading CR. I couldn't be happier. Oh yeah, I also ended up getting a leather holder for it. Makes reading just like reading a book once you get used to it.
Downside? No page numbers :mad:

I have a hard time getting past the "Friends of the Library" sale 4 times a year. I pay $1 for paperback books and $2 for hard back books. Recycle!
Hugh:D:D:D

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Ed,

Page numbers are pretty much irrelevant on e-readers.

When you change font size (something you can't do on a paper book), the number of characters per 'page' changes. So the page number would change depending on your display setting. So 'I want to go to page 36' really doesn't mean much. It's kind of like a TV commercial saying "item shown actual size" <vbg>

The Kindle does supply a numeric position indicator so you can quickly go to (or return to) any point in the book, regardless of the display configuration. These, along with the ability to set any number of bookmarks, and the search functionality, makes navigating pretty simple.

Website
www.docwks.com
If money is not an option, don't forget the third option the iPad. I'm a die hard PC guy and web coordinator at a major hospital. So, when my wife bought me the iPad for my birthday and said thankyou with a raised eyebrow. I have to admit I really like and use it to download and read books. It's not the same as a Kindle or Nook, both of which are great units, but it does do a lot more than either. Now to muddy the water even further...I'm getting a Kindle for my wife for Christmas due to wanting just a reading device. One thing with the iPad, it like the netbooks, does not replace a laptop or PC. My last vacation I used the iPad for most everything and my laptop stayed in it's case...until I had to do some real work, update some graphics and code on one of our sites. Otherwise it's a really great portable device. MTCW
Bill

Ed,

When you change font size (something you can't do on a paper book), the number of characters per 'page' changes. So the page number would change depending on your display setting. So 'I want to go to page 36' really doesn't mean much. It's kind of like a TV commercial saying "item shown actual size"

The Nook keeps the page numbers regardless of the font size. If you change to a size that shows for example only 75% of the page when you page forward the next page will show the other 25% with the same page number.

I just spent a good 15 minutes going over all the details of the newer color Nook at Barnes and Noble. At $250 I think it is a pretty good buy. I'm not really in the market yet so I don't know what features it has vs. others but you can web browse and email with it. You can't edit documents but you can upload them for viewing. If you care about the feature, some if not all children books give the option to read or have it read aloud. Personally I don't think you can beat a parent doing the reading.

Ed,

When you change font size (something you can't do on a paper book), the number of characters per 'page' changes. So the page number would change depending on your display setting. So 'I want to go to page 36' really doesn't mean much. It's kind of like a TV commercial saying "item shown actual size" <vbg>

The Kindle does supply a numeric position indicator so you can quickly go to (or return to) any point in the book, regardless of the display configuration. These, along with the ability to set any number of bookmarks, and the search functionality, makes navigating pretty simple.

I agree Alan. This electronical gadget is very new to me (2 weeks) and I'm still learning. But, I keep hitting the "page forward" button accidently and all of a sudden I'm several pages into the future (not that I'm falling asleep now :) So knowing what page I'm on does help. I don't change font size once I'm settled into reading.

Thanks for your input. - Ed

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Another thought to remember... Google's "new" eBooks work on any device, except Kindle

Something interesting about Google's eBooks, as I understand it, if you buy it for your computer, you can also read it on your Nook, iPad, iPod Touch, etc.

I selected a Kindle with free 3g AND WifI and I'm really pleased. The Kindle handles more electronic formats. (Kindle,PDF, MOBI, Microsoft formats and several others)

B&N has been up for sale although Borders has made an initial offer today. There is little chance that Amazon will fold anytime soon. Guttenberg.org publishes the majority of their books with a Kindle format.

Most of the reviews that I've read from consumer agencies indicate that the Kindle is their e-reader of choice. Of course, it's your money and your choice. I think that you'll like either device.

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
phone option

Thanks for all the feedback.

I recently realized that I am up for a new phone contract - I may get a Samsung smartphone - 4.3 inch screen - will get it free - so no big deal if it doesn't work out. It's an Android 2.1 model, so I can load both Kindle and Nook apps on it.

At the very least it will be a good way to try the software out.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us

B&N has been up for sale although Borders has made an initial offer today. There is little chance that Amazon will fold anytime soon. Guttenberg.org publishes the majority of their books with a Kindle format.

Just to be clear (from Guttenberg's web-site)
...iPad, Kindle, Sony Reader, iPhone, Android or other portable device....
..All our ebooks can be freely downloaded: Choose between ePub, Kindle, HTML and simple text formats.

Guttenberg publishes Public Domain books for just about any format (including Nook, etc).

BTW, Librivox.org does audio books of Public Domain books, great source for audio classic books

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
John, we have two e-readers in the family. My wife opted for a Kobo after looking at a bunch of the others, and I recently bought a Sony E Reader. The Sony was more expensive than some of the other choices, but it has a touch screen, a dictionary, and a couple of other features that I really liked - one of them being a metal case, which is important for someone like me who is rough of stuff even when I am being gentle. ;) My father has a Kindle, and he really likes it, but as has already been mentioned, Kindles are limited to Amazon's offerings.

One huge difference I have discovered between e-readers and devices like the iPad is that the e-readers don't tire my eyes out like a back lit screen does.

After looking at all of them I got my wife a Color Nook for Christmas. She will be happy with it. Best Buy was sold out here and I had to stand in line to get it at B&N.
Bill

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
We just had this same discussion (present of the year?) over on an RV forum, the guy that started the discussion bought a Nook, mostly because he could use the Nooks to "checkout" books from his library.

Website
www.docwks.com
Just as a follow up note on the different e-reader formats. Calibre is a free program that will convert epub format to kindle and others. There are several free conversion programs but this is the most recommended. I agree with Bill G.'s comment about the ereaders are easier on the eyes if all your doing is reading. I like mine to take to the shop, but my iPad can sit up on the mini fridge and surf the web while I'm turning and or play music or both. Not that I forget which size drill bit I need for my sketch pencil...
Bill

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Have my new Samsung Captivate...

Phone rooted - check
ATT Bloatware removed - check
App sideloading enabled - check
Swirl, Busybox, Titanium backup etc loaded... - check

Kindle and Nook apps loaded - check

Have to say this phone makes a great eReader - love the nightreading option as the Super AMOLED screen uses no juice to create black and it is easier on my eyes.. Sweet

Downloaded Bram Stoker's Dracula to give it a test run.

Love this thing!

Wow, it would give me a headache to try and read anything on a screen that small for any length of time. Does a full book page get squeezed in or do you change screens a couple time to complete a page?

John,

You asked if any of them print. To my knowledge none of them have his function. The iPad says they do but you have to have, as usual with Apple, one of a limited number of printers.

I have had my Kindle for two years and would not change for anything, however you spoke about reading magazines for that use I would probably get a color Nook it has better graphics and a better browser, while worse for straight text.

The iPad would be best but I can not see the Apple Premium. I will look for one on the used market in a year or so, It might be perfect in the shop since it does not have a fan and will not attract dust, but still will be able to show videos when I am trying to learn something new at the lathe. I use my touch for that now but the screen is a bit too small.

I do like the way some Magazines such as Popular Woodworking are moving to be more interactive.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
John,

You asked if any of them print. To my knowledge none of them have his function. The iPad says they do but you have to have, as usual with Apple, one of a limited number of printers.

EH?
Mac's will print to any USB or IP based printer. I currently use HP, Canon, Lexmark and Epson.

The iPad would be best but I can not see the Apple Premium. I will look for one on the used market in a year or so, It might be perfect in the shop since it does not have a fan and will not attract dust, ...

Em?
Any LCD screen generates a small charge, this screen will attract fines. After several weeks use (in a shop) you will find a nice layer inside

Me, I wouldn't take any like device into my shop (long term), and I'm a HUGE Geek

Back