• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

If you wanted to teach...

I have been turning for the past six years, and have developed some skill at it. In addition I have demonstrated turning for two clubs, and I'm currently teaching one student.

However I find that some of my skills are lacking, and I have some difficulty imparting some techniques to my student because of this.

If you wanted to teach and demonstrate woodturning, but found some of your skills needed improvement, what school in the southeast (I'm in Georgia and can't afford to travel very far) would you attend, whose and what weeklong class?

What other advice would you give me to learn to teach woodturning?

Teaching (be it woodturning or anything else)

Having been an educator in a former life maybe I can offer some input. Here is my outline for a successful lesson plan (or demo):

1. Introduction of Topic
2. Icebreaker (this can be a joke or a woodturning story or about anything, but you want something that basically relieves tension and shows you are human).
3. Review what you went over last lesson, session, etc.
4. Preview objectives for this lesson (I like to include at this point how they tie in with things they have already learned).
5. Present objective 1, objective 2, etc. Whenever possible group things so the audience has a crutch to help them remember like ABC for Anchor, Bevel, Cut. It is amazing the amount of retention you can get with these types of things.
6. Once you are done, review the objectives you just went over.
7. Give a hint into what you might be presenting next time.
8. Thank the audience for their attention/participation.

Seems like a lot of review, but you want to be able to present things multiple times so they stick.

I have been turning for the past six years, and have developed some skill at it. In addition I have demonstrated turning for two clubs, and I'm currently teaching one student.

However I find that some of my skills are lacking, and I have some difficulty imparting some techniques to my student because of this.

If you wanted to teach and demonstrate woodturning, but found some of your skills needed improvement, what school in the southeast (I'm in Georgia and can't afford to travel very far) would you attend, whose and what weeklong class?

What other advice would you give me to learn to teach woodturning?

Jim, are you in for a treat! Check the Calendar page of the December journal for the listing under Georgia. On April 30, the Chattahoochee Woodturners will present two rotations on "Planning and Presenting Woodturning Demonstrations" by Frank Penta, one of the better demonstrators/teachers. This presentation is in conjunction with the Southern States Symposium near Gainesville. Attend those sessions and also attend the other rotations to pick up tips from other instructors. Doing so should get you further along your path to becoming an excellent instructor/demonstrator. Good luck!

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You could attend the Tennessee Symposium in January. I guarantee you'll learn something. The Southern States Symposium in Gainesville in the spring is a good place to learn and the Georgia symposium in the fall in Unicoi St. Park.
As far as schools go there's John C Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC, Arrowmont in Gatlinburg, TN, and The Appalachian Center for Craft in Smithville, TN.
If you'll tell us the technique you think you should learn we might be better able to recommend an instructor.

I'm interested primarily in improving turning skills.

I could also improve in some teaching skills, but mainly I'm asking about covering basics in a hands-on approach.

I co-ordinated and attended a 3 day hands-on class with Stuart Batty a couple years ago, and it was good, but many of the lessons have not "stuck". I need another refresher.

Stuart's is a great turner, and his tutelage was eye-opening, but it's a stark reminder of how far I have to go...

My student's greatest desire is to turn bowls.... Which presents two problems.

One, I realize it's easier to learn proper tool technique of "riding the bevel" when turning in spindle orientation. So how does one balance desire against discipline? I have taught basic peeling and planing cuts, coves, and beads in spindle orientation, but time quickly passes, and we're barely started before time is up... I feel like I'm not imparting enough information and skill before we go on to the bowl turning.

Secondly, my tool technique when bowl turning is not yet good enough that I'm confident that I am passing along good technique... I can turn bowls, but teaching proper technique is another matter...

I'm more confident in my spindle turning ability...

When reading what I'm saying here, factor in that I am a) a perfectionist, and b) very conscientious, and c) last but not least, I'm a verbal learner. (If I can verbalize it, I have learned it.) . While I can certainly teach what I know, it helps if I thoroughly know my subject.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Jim Feel like spending a weekend in Sunny (yea that's doubtful) Baxter, Tn. I'll be glad t work with you on your bowl turning technique.
I have found that bowl turning is actually good for learning to ride the bevel. The main reason is that you make the same cut over and over while turning the outside or inside. I usually see my students struggle at first but by the time they get down to the bottom they are starting to understand.
I start with small bowls. These not only go faster they aren't as intimidating and certainly less dangerous if they blow one up.

I teach turning a couple hundred hours a year.
What I recomend is that you head to your shop and turn the project or skill (I recomend a project designed to use the skill) and as you do the project explain to a virtual class the key points step by step. The other aspect to this excercise is that it should be done with the same set of tools, accessories and lathe, you will troubleshoot before your in the middle of a class.
Once you know how to proficiently use cutting and scraping tools your looking more at how to do the projects with the tools and accessories. The final thing you need to work out is time, I allow anywhere from double to 6x what it takes me to do the same project. Beginner classes are more in the 6x range. Have a clear idea of how you want them to do the project and what they should be able to do once your done with them. I have only hit one or two people in my six years of teaching that I would suggest a different hobby for, some of the others have a better set of skill and design tools than I do, and I'm just happy to have gotten them started.

Website
www.katherinekowalski.com
Improving your turning skill is one of the very best things you can do to improve your teaching ability. I can highly recommend several turners, but one of the absolute best is Jimmy Clewes. I took his three-day course about three weeks ago, and I was superbly impressed with his stellar turning skill, teaching style, his kindness & generosity in sharing information, and the atmosphere of his studio.

He tailors the course to the students' individual needs, and he could certainly help you in solving both of your current difficulties -- both turning & teaching technique. I cannot recommend him highly enough. His rates are extremely reasonable, and I wouldn't be surprised if you could find an inexpensive airline ticket to Las Vegas.

His web site: http://jimmyclewes.com/

I'm very happy to talk more about my experience -- please e-mail if you need more details. katherine@daystarhandworks.com

honing your skill

The quickest way to hone you skills is to Practice, Practice, Practice,

Before I started teaching I was practicing 6 to 8 hours a day every day for 18 months. Taking someones class without Practice every day is not going to help. There is no quick fix to honing your skills.

I have taken every hands on with every basic turner that our club has brought in for the past 3 years.

Just practice until you can do it without looking, so you can do it by feel and hearing.

Website
www.katherinekowalski.com
I'd add one bit of advice to the above...

They say that "Practice makes perfect." But that isn't necessarily true... Only PERFECT practice makes perfect. (Otherwise, one simply practices worthless technique, which creates more bad habits than solves problems.)

Practice is hugely important, but it is necessary to learn excellent technique first. Learning + practice pays huge dividends.

Katherine

correction

Yeah thats what I meant perfect Practice. :cool2: Luckily I had a world class turner for a mentor. I bugged him in his shop every day for 3 months until my Powermatic came in, then I only bugged him on Wednesday, at shop class. Can't beat a master woodturner that just wants to share his knowledge.

Thanks for the correction Katherine.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Teaching One Student

is a whole different kettle of fish than doing a project demo to a group of turners. Teaching one student is about creating a turning experience which will leave the student with hand and eye skills and an instinctive ownership of basic tools and their range of capabilities and not much about a particular project.

Spindle work should start first, and bead and cove sticks should be a warm up for every session. You are the teacher, and you set the agenda. The student should earn the skills to do a bowl later. A weed pot, mallet, or spurtle are great projects for a student to walk away with the first time. Have them do them again later and then compare results. Have them save all their bead and cove sticks. There is no free lunch. They must pay their dues as you did.

I teach regularly and find that my ability to guide the tool, while the student does the principal holding, and follows the ABC's (anchor, bevel, cut) leads to a rapid initially successful experience. This means you initially control the tool in a way that is awkward for you the teacher, but leads to a successful cut each and every time. Then the teacher withdraws and slowly turns control over to the student. This leads to an "ah ha!" effect, and student ownership of the basic process. I actually hand turn the lathe for a minute or two so the student can see the peelings of a green spindle blank.

You can't beat the teachers guide available on the AAW site in the Youth Turning area. The projects are great too. You should "own" the project before the student starts.

Good for you for taking this on. As a teacher you will learn as much or more than the student, and will be a much better turner as a result of your teaching efforts. I think you will learn more about teaching by volunteering for the youth turning program at the AAW symposium than by seeing professional turners do demos. The mentors of the youth turning program are first class teachers and you will leave with great insights on how to teach your students, youth or adult.

See: http://www.woodturner.org/community/youth/
and: Teaching Woodturning Basics

Just another take on this.

Jerry

Last edited:
Website
ubeaut.com.au
is a whole different kettle of fish than doing a project demo to a group of turners. Teaching one student is about creating a turning experience which will leave the student with hand and eye skills and an instinctive ownership of basic tools and their range of capabilities and not much about a particular project.

Spindle work should start first, and bead and cove sticks should be a warm up for every session. You are the teacher, and you set the agenda. The student should earn the skills to do a bowl later. A weed pot, mallet, or spurtle are great projects for a student to walk away with the first time. Have them do them again later and then compare results. Have them save all their bead and cove sticks. There is no free lunch. They must pay their dues as you did.

I teach regularly and find that my ability to guide the tool, while the student does the principal holding, and follows the ABC's (anchor, bevel, cut) leads to a rapid initially successful experience. This means you initially control the tool in a way that is awkward for you the teacher, but leads to a successful cut each and every time. Then the teacher withdraws and slowly turns control over to the student. This leads to an "ah ha!" effect, and student ownership of the basic process. I actually hand turn the lathe for a minute or two so the student can see the peelings of a green spindle blank.
I could not agree more.

I have been teaching for over 20 years and the amount of students that have been turning bowls (because that is what they wanted to do) and have no idea as to why a chisel or gouge cuts the way it does or that you can alter an angle to get a better result astounds me.

The same goes for people that use the "wrong" chisel when there are better options also has the same effect'

The best feeling for a teacher is "when the light comes on" and they can repeat the same cut perfectly every time.

Yep. But first we do a couple hours on edge theory and sharpening. That gives them analogs to mate with the angles they discover as they learn.

The large macho types seem uneasy about full reach-arounds, so you end up standing on one side or the other even when it would have been better to hug.

Still like the Shaker peg as project Alpha.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Stand aside

...uneasy about full reach-arounds, so you end up standing on one side or the other even when it would have been better to hug.

Still like the Shaker peg as project Alpha.

Great point on needing to learn to stand aside, with minimum body contact. I often teach middle school boys and girls. I carefully ask permission each time to guide them, and often laugh that it might seem awkward to us. Invariably they respond, "No, that is ok." For me learning to turn (guide) standing well to one side and complete a difficult cut (nice sharp V at the end of a bead) has given me a much better understanding of turning, and that the wood doesn't care how you hold it, just how the edge, bevel, and direction of movements interact with the wood.

Shaker peg. Nice idea. Something they can "hang their hat on!"

Last edited:
Before I started teaching I was practicing 6 to 8 hours a day every day for 18 months.

Holey Coooowwww! :eek:

I have to work to support myself sometime... :p

I'll be about 70 by the time I can retire... so practicing this much is not an option. Unless someone wants to be a patron of the Artiste? :D

Knowing good technique is important, owning the project is good too. Be prepared for the student who wants to make a slightly different project, make sure it is in the same skill set. I do the project on my lathe at the same time as students, I show them I make mistakes too. Catches happen to all of us, show them one, explain why it happens and how the technique you demonstrate works.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm with you Jim. Working a full time job means I seldom get to turn 6 or 8 hours at one stretch except for weekends. I'm starting to think retirement is a moving target. The closer I get the less money I have and they move the retirement age. At this rate I'll still be working when my son retires and he's only 21 now.
I often use the technique of guiding the tool while the person holds the tool. This works great for some and other just don't get it. It's frustrating to help them hold the tools and show them how the bevel is rubbing and how to move the handle to guide the cut. Then as soon as I start walking across the room to another student you can hear that they have reverted to what they were doing before. This happens mostly to older "experienced" turners.
The best student I've had was a lady who was nurse. At the beginning of the class (I was standing at the demo lathe) she asked "what's a lathe". I though oh boy this is going to be a long class. Well she had no preconceptions of how a tool should work. You told her and she did exactly what you told her (the perfect woman- just kidding ladies I want to live to see tomorrow) Seriously by the end of the class she was turning better than anyone else.

Website
ubeaut.com.au
I have generally found that women are the best students.

They listen.

They don't force the tool and let it cut.

They have a better feel and "eye" for what is going on.

They generally smell better.:D

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Oh John, you almost got yourself in trouble...

I agree with you to a point, though.

Often, when I have women in my classes, they ARE easier to teach. But that's because they are complete beginners. And when they apologetically admit at the beginning of the class that they have never picked up a turning tool in their life, I respond, "I LOVE YOU." And I mean it. I really love teaching greenhorn beginners. That declaration breaks any apprehension they might have, and everyone laughs. But then I explain it's because they don't have to unlearn some bad habits they formed on their own, before they learn better and safer turning techniques. :D

You Almost got into trouble, John

The best student I've had was a lady who was nurse. At the beginning of the class (I was standing at the demo lathe) she asked "what's a lathe". I though oh boy this is going to be a long class. Well she had no preconceptions of how a tool should work. You told her and she did exactly what you told her (the perfect woman- just kidding ladies I want to live to see tomorrow) Seriously by the end of the class she was turning better than anyone else.[/QUOTE]

You got out of that one-good thing you thought twice!!!! BTW, Richard Raffan came up behind me at a hands on demo in Traverse City 4-5 years ago, and said. "Boy are you tense" (who wouldn't be holding a skew for the first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I am with tense with lots of things(I think it's "focusing")-including car driving. I occasionally try to relax when rarely spindle turning. It is amazing the difference!!!! If I could only do it in all walks of life!!!!:D
Gretch

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Ditto Donna. I think unlearning is much harder than learning. Boy wish I could unlearn all the stupid things I've done in life.

Back