• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Piercing tool

I see that ebay has dental hand pieces for about $100.Adding a filter and regulator would add about another $50 or so. This sure beats the price of the NSK unit. I realize that you often get what you pay for, however that is one heck of a price spread. Almost 3 for one. Can any one tell me the down side? :confused:Thanks

There are many high speed piercing tools being sold, however....you do get what you pay for. I have purchased at least 4 different systems, one off of Ebay for about $100.....I don't use it. I prefer the NSK Presto unit and the price of this is not ourtrageous when I consider I paid close to $2,000 for my first high speed system (which uses oil as a lubricant). I suggest you look around and see if you can demo a Presto and some other systems for sale owned by club members or your local wood store before you purchase one. What I like about the Presto is the power, lack of vibration, no oil to spray on the wood surface, readily accessible parts and fast bur change out. I did write a brief article in the publication by Fred Holder called, More Wood Turning, December 2010 issue, on beginning piercing. Hope this helps.
Peggy Bookey

Bill,
I have the dental type tool and yes you have to put in a drop of oil now and then and the head of the tool is offset and I find changing tips easy. It has done everything I've asked of it and the cost is cheaper. That said the Presto is on my list to buy but every one knows I'm a tool junkie. (I have 5 of the dental tools)
Bill

Website
www.docwks.com
I have the powercrafter, which you have to oil, and the mastercarver micromotor. I like them both although I use them for different things. Have fun with your desicion.

I have the Powercrafter. Can anyone tell me if the NSK has more torque? The Powercrafter works well but it easily bogs down if pushed very hard.
Malcolm, I have the NSK and have stopped it a couple of times by pushing to hard. Don't like the idea of having to deal with oiling, so I like the NSK.

Website
www.docwks.com
I'm making an assumption here that you are speaking of the micromotor tool and not the air driven NSK or Powercrafter. The answer if you are using the micromotor is yes except for the 1/4 stuff from foredom. I have Gorbet flex shaft and all my bits except the 1/4" work in my micromotor. The micromotor tools, for the most part, use 3/32" and 1/8" diameter cutters. The air turbine tools use 1/16" cutters.

Piercing tool suggestions

Hi Fellow Woodturners:

I was honored to be asked by Bihn Pho to assist him with a week long class at Arrowmont a couple of years ago. Bihn recommended the NSK Presto over others brought by students. He liked the pencil style of the NSK over the angled head dental drills. He said the angled head dentil drills work well for working inside someone's mouth, but the pencil style is more comfortable when working on the surfaces of the wood and you have more control when you can grasp the tool nearer to the end that holds the bit. He also liked the quick bit changing of the NSK. Also, since the NSK is oil free, there is no chance to get any on the wood. The NSK is also also quieter. One student brought a Powercrafter to the class and it was so loud it was bothering everyone in the room.

Check the price of the NSK Presto at: www.jaymescompany.com. 888-638-8998. They were offering it at a better price than I've ever seen elsewhere.

Don Geiger

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I'm making an assumption here that you are speaking of the micromotor tool and not the air driven NSK or Powercrafter. The answer if you are using the micromotor is yes except for the 1/4 stuff from foredom. I have Gorbet flex shaft and all my bits except the 1/4" work in my micromotor. The micromotor tools, for the most part, use 3/32" and 1/8" diameter cutters. The air turbine tools use 1/16" cutters.

Thanks DOCworks......

Yes, I was speaking of Foredom shaft driven motorized carver......but, I only mentioned Foredom because everyone understands what that is. My unit is like the Foredom, but is an off-brand called the Wecheer......basically the same thing.

OK, got it......1/16" dia bits for the NSK.

ooc

I also have the NSK, it is easy to bog down if you get in a hurry but works great. I get my bits from my dentist, when they are no longer useable for his work they give them to me (cleaned!!) and they have lots of life for what we do with them.

Back