• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Elbo hollowing system or Monster?

Hi all,

Do we have folks on this forum that have used the Elbo system for hollowing, and maybe the Monster, and can compare the two?

If not, maybe there are some who can give information.......the positives and the negatives of the respective system you have.......I would like to get a good hollowing rig, and I am drawn to the articulating types, but I am also open to information on a captured system like the Jameson.....[I watched Lyle do a demo at our symposium] but would like to know how they compare to one another as far as one being superior, if that might be the case or not.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Hi all,

Do we have folks on this forum that have used the Elbo system for hollowing, and maybe the Monster, and can compare the two?

If not, maybe there are some who can give information.......the positives and the negatives of the respective system you have.......I would like to get a good hollowing rig, and I am drawn to the articulating types, but I am also open to information on a captured system like the Jameson.....[I watched Lyle do a demo at our symposium] but would like to know how they compare to one another as far as one being superior, if that might be the case or not.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Roger,

I looked at the ELBO at an AAW Symposium. It's designed to mount on the tailstock quill, and my impression was that it's best suited to small lathe work.

The Monster is a different articulation working on a shaft points in a scissors kind of mode. I had built my own Sudol [Jamieson] captured system clone, but did not like the fingerwork. I therefore went with what I think is the far superior system, that being the Kobra, designed and made by Al Crandall and Jerry Arnold in Indiana. At about $900 for the full rig, it's the most expensive out there, but well worth it. If you'd like contact information, PM me.

Kobra Demo Videos at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwcx-T6UnZ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B8HG5tLM04&feature=related

Last edited:
Hollowing System

I can't offer any comparative data but I have the Jamieson system and am very pleased with it. It's the complete system with the laser and the heavy duty boring bar. I've had it for about 4 years and use it a lot. I'd like to get the carbide cutter for it but I can't get past the $60 + price. I use it for hollow forms that are generally between 6" and 12" deep. If you're planning to make a lot of deep hollow forms, a heavier system would probably eliminate more vibration and be easier to use.
Tim Carter

i use the elbo tool system, it is good for 6 to 8 inches hollowing, can go to 10 inches, but nowhere to put your hands that deep, it does require an opening of 1 1/4 or larger hole to hollow from

i have not used the monster

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
I have space issues, so the Jameson type of unit isn't for me.
I have the monster and, while I haven't used the elbo, I'm absolutely delighted with my system.

i use the elbo tool system, it is good for 6 to 8 inches hollowing, can go to 10 inches, but nowhere to put your hands that deep, it does require an opening of 1 1/4 or larger hole to hollow from

i have not used the monster

Thanks for the info Charlie...........I am taking all information into consideration, hoping to get the best bang for the buck. I appreciate your response. Thanks also to the other posters who have given information...........I appreciate it.

Hopefully, others with this unit will chime in, so I can get a lot of perspectives on this comparison, or at least a review of the owners.

Last edited:
Elbo, Monster & Kobra

In my opinion there is no comparison between the Elbo Tool and the Monster or the Kobra. The Monster and Kobra ar much more robust than the Elbo.

I have two of the Kobra systems and they are absolutely wonderful!

If you are considering a captured rest system: the one offered by Bill Rubenstein, at Stubby Lathes, is a really nice system and is more robust than the Jamieson. Bill's system has a really unique laser system. I've tried to get him to sell it to me separately, but the last three times I checked with him, he would only sell it with the hollowing system. I have four hollowing systems and just don't need another.

Don Geiger

Add another vote for the Monster systems. I prefer their form factor over any of the others, and the quality can't be beat.

I do know that the Elbow had some problems when they first came out. I have the Monster. The biggest difference between the Monster and the Kobra is the size of the knuckle joints in the arms. The Kobra is a lot more Robust (double meaning intended). The joints add some flex to the systems. For roughing cuts, I don't like going more than 6 inches deep with the Monster. It starts to chatter a bit if you go deeper. For finish cuts, it is okay to maybe 8 inches, but not much beyond that. The Kobra looks like you could go deeper with it.

robo hippy

I just finished a special bar( 1 1/2 dia. ) for a man which is capable of hollowing 25 in. deep with the Kobra.

i am happy with the elbo tool, it is not designed to go deeper than 6 to 8 inches, it is robust, believe me i can tear something up, i have not used any other systems ..... my hf size wize are designed to fit on end table or sofa table behind a sofa or table......i believe Stan Townsend was the first to offer the articulated arm and the first to say one could do hollow forms from a less robust lathe :D the only place one can really try out multipe hf system is at the national symposium vendor area..... not sure about any of the schools, it has not been taught at local artisan center/but i have not seen any classes for hf....safety/use of 6 different systems

Last edited:
Back