• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Deep Hollowing systems

I've been following the discussions of deep hollowing systems and would love to get one, but have a problem. I have a VB36 bowl lathe. It does not have any bed to attach a mounting plate to. I do have a tail stock that is a round steel beam that swings up to hold a live center and is adjustable. Any ideas? Thanks

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You can use a free standing secondary tool rest. I did it for years on my mini lathe. My stand was built from 2x4's and 2x6's. The captured tool rest was built from Maple. I still use the tool rest although it is attached to the bed of my Powermatic.
I think for the VB you would want a heavier stand but don't see why it wouldn't work. I saw a video somewhere of a gentleman who hollows really large vessels. He was practically using an I beam for the boring bar which was about 8 feet long. It sat on a free standing secondary tool rest made of steel.
I have made a free standing tool rest using pipe and part of a truck wheel. I think it would work fine for a captured tool rest if I just added the parts.

Sudol System will work

I have an original Frank Sudol Deep Hollowing System that has a free standing tool support and a 6' long X 1.5" diameter hollowing bar. Brian McEvoy at: www.onegoodturn.ca offers a system that looks just like the Sudol.

I can hollow to about 22" with my system.

Don Geiger

Back