• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Question on Hollowing systems

I have read many opinions on different hollowing systems, I ready to drop the coins, I am looking at the Monster articulating system and the Jamison system. If it makes any difference it will be used on a 3520B. I can't buy both has anyone used both and could give a bit of guidance.

Hey Dave,
I have a PM3520B, and the Lyle Jamieson Hollowing System works fine on it.
An articulated system would, no doubt, also work well, but I have not used one.
If you are near southwest Georgia, come try it.
Gil

Last edited:
I have both the captured monster unit and the articulating arm unit. I find myself using the articulating arm unit most of the time. Really a slick piece and easy to use. When I do deeper HF's Randy made me a 1" bar for the captured unit but just don't do many big ones over 11" or longer.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
I have both the captured monster unit and the articulating arm unit. I find myself using the articulating arm unit most of the time. Really a slick piece and easy to use. When I do deeper HF's Randy made me a 1" bar for the captured unit but just don't do many big ones over 11" or longer.

I only have the articulated system... You can use it in a much more confined space. I go to mine on an almost daily basis. Randy Privett is supposed to be coming out with a more heavy duty design (which I will have to get for MY 3520), that would be my strong recommendation.
I use my Rolly Munro hollowers, almost exclusively with the Monster, smooth finish, fast cutting, once I got the hang of the combination... And with the laser, getting thin is EASY (so long as you pay attention).

Another happy Monster owner here. I started with the captive system, and upgraded to the articulating arm system when I upgraded to my 3520B. I prefer the articulating arm, and have pretty much used it exclusively since I got it, but I'd also like to add a 1" bar for deeper pieces as Bernie did.

I have both of Randy's systems and I find myself using the articulated more than the other. That may be due to the size of work I've been doing. I have just filled the shop with large wood to work on this winter. Randy's system are a joy to use and you will not go wrong with them.
Bill

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Dave
I'm not remembering right now if your lathe can turn "backwards", that is go in reverse with full power and control.
If so, make certain the system you are buying allows you to do reverse hollowing.
I (and many better turners then me) find it lots easier to hollow in reverse.

Ralph

Many thanks to all, I was leaning toward Randy's monster and with your feed back, I now know what way to go.

Hey Dave,

Ellis Walentine, owner of Wood Central, is working on a review of a number of hollowing tools for an article in Woodworker West magazine. If you get it in your area, you might want to take a look at it; probably next month.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I like the Lyle Jamieson handles with Trent Bosch bars.

The Jamieson handle takes any 3/4 inch bar. I have bars by stewart, Bosch and some real nice ones made by CA Savoy.

I use home made back rests made from wood. plastic(nylon) on the the top of the lower member give friction free movement.

If I need to use a small lathe for a demo I use a 2x6 for the base of the back rest and screw my wooden base onto the 2x6 at the right height.
I've done demos with this system on 1024, 1224 and 1220 machines

Happy Turning,
Al

Website
web.hypersurf.com
Hollowing System Compendium

When I went looking into getting a captured hollowing system I was surprised at the number of systems out there. By "captured hollowing system" I mean a system that prevents the "handle end" of the tool from swinging up or down.

I ended up choosing the MiniMonster for the following reasons
- ease of set up
- ease of use
- more complete system, nothing more to buy, it comes with a laser
- doesn't reduce the working depth because of the tail support
- doesn't require much space behind the lathe
- ease of storage
- great price
- great customer service

Have a look at this info

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/Turning/HollowingSystems/HollowingSystems1.html

If you have any questions feel free to ask away.

I have a 3520B and the Monster. Absolutely love it. Easy to get used to, the laser works great, and it's built like a brick......

Don L.

I also have the articulated hollowing system from Monster - I agree with all the comments and you can talk directly to Randy the owner if you have any questions - support is what im impressed with and I am glad I have this system as it is my favorite tool for hollowing.

Back