• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Problem with my Conover Lathe

I have recently started turning. My father, who passsed away in 1999, left me his lathe which he had for about ten years. It seems to be leaking grease from the head stock. I don't hear any unsual noises and the lathe seemes to run well. It does get warm to the touch with steady use. The lathe was made by the Conover Woodcraft division of Byrom International Corporation in Chardon, Ohio. I have not been able to find the current address or phone number for this company nor have I been able to find them on the web. Do any of you know if the company still exists and if so how can I get in touch with them? I tried to take the lathe apart but was unable to do so.

Thanks for your consideration;

Marc, the Conover Company is no longer. Post on the different woodturning web sites and I'm sure somone will have an instruction manual that you can arrange to get a copy of.

Easy Problem To Fix

Hi, I used to own a Conover and sold it to a good friend to buy my Poolewood. It is a great lathe and maintenance is very easy.

The problem you are having is probably due to the bearing seals being worn out. When I bought mine it had been used 10 years and I replaced the seals and bearings. I disassembled the headstock and took the bearings to a local automotive supply store and they were able to order what I needed with no problem. I think the front and rear bearings and seals are different, so take both.

I used to have a PDF file of the Conover manual, but cannot find it, however, I don't think you need it for this problem.

If my friend ever wants to sell the Conover I want it back. It is a cool a machine.

David

Back