• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grinders

I'm looking at affordable low speed or variable speed grinder and most don't get very good reviews. I see woodCraft has one for 109 bucks, anybody use one of these?

That one is a great buy. It has he right kind of wheels you want as well so you dont have the expense of replacing them right away.

I know lots of turners with this grinder and they love it.

Go for it

Robert

I fully agree. Mine has been great although I got it on sale at a somewhat better price

grinder

I have had my Woodcraft grinder for over a year now and for the price maybe the best on the market. The wheels are not Norton quality but should be satisfactory for a year of so. Prepare for sand piles under the wheel, especially if you are grinding and shaping.

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
That is a good buy for reasons already pointed out. The wheels will likely wobble, I've seen several threads about this-even Baldors have the problem. Don't dress the wheel! The grinder is not defective if the wheels wobble (most do when installed). Loosen the nut, move the wheel a bit, tighten it and check, loosen, tap it with the side of your hand etc. until the wheel runs true side to side. THEN you can dress the wheel, I prefer a diamond dresser.

John

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Darryl:

Woodcraft recently re-introduced their 8" slow-speed grinder after having removed it from their catalog, supposedly in response to receiving and selling a bad batch of Taiwanese grinders that had a lot of problems. Word is that they insisted on better QC with their more recent grinders, and the latest batch is much better. I've been using a Woodcraft 8" 1725 rpm grinder as my primary sharpening tool for over 10 years without problems.

If you do not need the grinder urgently, Woodcraft invariably has a "Free Shipping" special during the Holiday shopping time of year, and often you can often combine this with a time-limited percent discount sale, resulting in paying considerably less than $ 109 + shipping for the tool.

Had I not just already purchased an 8", 1725 rpm Heavy Duty Delta grinder (discontinued), I would be adding a second Woodcraft grinder to my turning station.

As already mentioned, this is one of the better bargains you can get on an essential woodturning tool.

Good luck!

Rob Wallace

Not to knock the product, but I have trouble with variable speed on a grinder. Yes, high speed wheels will, in the wrong (or inexperienced) hands burn the metal. But the same thing will happen at 1725 as will a 3450.

Making a bench grinder variable speed seems to be a solution looking for a problem. I've known several who've bought them, but later confess that they set'em on the low speed and never touch it again. That rheostat or pot seems to just be something to go wrong down the road.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who can show that there's stuff you can do at, say, 2500 rpm that you can't do just as well at 1725 or 3450.

:confused:

I confess to being one of those with a variable speed grinder that is permanently set at 1725. (It's a Delta) I got this one because it was on sale at the local hardware and because it already had a white wheel. To say it's not in the same class as a Norton wheel, is like saying none of our most recent Presidents is in the same class as Lincoln or Jefferson. It gets the job done, but I'm half way hoping it'll wear out real fast, as I suspect it will, so I can replace it. I had thought I would save $30, but not so. Other than that and the worthless tool rests found on all inexpensive grinders, the Delta works fine.
Dean

Website
Not to knock the product, but I have trouble with variable speed on a grinder.

Hi Mark!

Just to clarify, I think THIS is the Woodcraft grinder we are talking about - it is not variable speed. (Fixed at 1725 rpm). There are thousands of these in use by many woodturners and woodworkers.

Perhaps you are talking about the currently available Delta 8" variable speed grinder, the DELTA GR450 ShopMaster 8-Inch Grinder? If so, I have heard from at least three owners of this tool that it vibrates excessively, regardless of how one tries to balance the wheels, and has particularly serious vibration at certain speeds (harmonic nodes?). It weighs 48 pounds, and I have seen at least one of these units "dance". I would not buy one of these.

The discontinued grinder I mentioned is NOT the currently available Delta variable speed 8" grinder, but the discontinued DELTA 23-725 8-Inch Industrial Grinder that is significantly heavier (over 90 pounds), has fixed speed (1725 rpm), and runs incredibly smoothly. (No idea why Delta discontinued this quality machine.....:mad: ). If anyone finds a used 23-725 grinder, this is an excellent tool that is worth having.

I agree that having variable speed is not particularly worth anything with respect to grinders used for turning tools, etc.

Rob Wallace

Hi Rob, LTNT ;)

I think the grinder the OP is considering is the 6" Delta GR275 VS at Woodcraft online for $105.

They slap a white wheel on it, call it a "turner's best friend", and blow'em out the door. If your experience with VS units carries through, it's same junk for less money.

I have a "little" 6" slow-speed General that cost me all of $100 8 years ago. I put good 80 and 120 grit wheels on it and it runs smooth and true. Mounted a Wolverine set on the cart. Don't need any more than that for turning tools.

Baldor Grinder

Fifteen years ago I bought a 7" Baldor Grinder. It is a high quality piece of machinery that I do not wish to replace. The trouble is I'm having a difficult time finding the Norton wheels in 7". Any suggestions? Thanks.

Thanks for all the feed back.

The grinder I'm referring to is 8" fixed low speed. It is the only low dollar grinder I've been able to find on the web that has some decent reviews.

Let me say that I am clueless as to turning anything. I have 0 experience. I plan to order a Delta 46-460 today. I bought a used set of Delta HSS tools off ebay and couldn't tell you what any of them do:confused: I don't have a grinder of any type now, so I've got to get something and the Woodcraft one seems to be decent for the price.

I'm getting all this on credit and my wife don't know yet, so sharp tools may be a problem later. We'll see.

I'm going make another thread lated about what all I'll need to turn and finish some pens. I guess that will be a good starting point? I'd like to have it all together when the chips start flying.

Perhaps you are talking about the currently available Delta 8" variable speed grinder, the DELTA GR450 ShopMaster 8-Inch Grinder? If so, I have heard from at least three owners of this tool that it vibrates excessively, regardless of how one tries to balance the wheels, and has particularly serious vibration at certain speeds (harmonic nodes?). It weighs 48 pounds, and I have seen at least one of these units "dance". I would not buy one of these.

I agree that having variable speed is not particularly worth anything with respect to grinders used for turning tools, etc.

Rob Wallace

Let's think. Square of the velocity which is doubled, and a four inch arm to add another third. Sounds like it would be subject to a bunch more movement for the same weight differential. I wondered why the folks at Oneway recommended, and Keven defended a 3450 grinder. Then I noticed they sell a balancing kit.

Speed does not burn tools. Friction burns tools. Don't press and be greedy and the metal will grind away, albeit a bit slower, on a slow grinder. Your "oops" won't do as much damage to the edge, either.

Will never again buy a soft bond wheel, no matter the marketing euphemism.

Thanks for all the feed back.

The grinder I'm referring to is 8" fixed low speed. It is the only low dollar grinder I've been able to find on the web that has some decent reviews.

Let me say that I am clueless as to turning anything. I have 0 experience. I plan to order a Delta 46-460 today. I bought a used set of Delta HSS tools off ebay and couldn't tell you what any of them do:confused: I don't have a grinder of any type now, so I've got to get something and the Woodcraft one seems to be decent for the price.

I'm getting all this on credit and my wife don't know yet, so sharp tools may be a problem later. We'll see.

I'm going make another thread lated about what all I'll need to turn and finish some pens. I guess that will be a good starting point? I'd like to have it all together when the chips start flying.

Darryl,

Before you go overboard, I suggest that you look up the nearest Local AAW chapter, go to a few meetings, and maybe connect with a friendly guy for some mentoring. You'll save a bunch of time, get going easier, and have a way better idea if this stuff's really "for you" [and versa-visa].

Taking this route before you start really buying tools will also do wonders for your relations with the Comptroller on the whole deal. :D

Thanks Mark.

It's not as bad has it sounds. I've been contemplating some type of wood working for quit a while and have decided that a small lathe will fit the bill for what I want to accomplish. I have a gold dredge that I will sell in the spring to cover my expenses now. The boss is aware of that part and supportive.

I am 48 and have some health issues that has left me on disability. I need something productive to do. I need to get back in the learning and accomplishing mode at a pace that I physically can do. I feel this route will allow me to do so at an affordable price vs flat work and all the equipment needed there. Also; the small stock and finished product should be easier on the body.

I have become acquainted with a fellow about an 1 1/2 hrs drive from me that has offered some hands on experience. He also has the same lathe I intend to get.

Last edited:
Yea, I can see where this could lead, but simple things 1st..and that may take awhile.

I did get insurance on my credit union loan, so if I croak, I'll have spent somebody else's money:D

Yea, I can see where this could lead, but simple things 1st..and that may take awhile.

I did get insurance on my credit union loan, so if I croak, I'll have spent somebody else's money:D

Always good to have backup ;)

Now, if you're looking for a bench grinder, I'll hazard a guess that you'll do better on Amazon. They carry the Good, the Bad and the Ugly ranging from $700 Baldors to $50 Bhazircistan rip-offs of Chinese clones of Taiwanese rip-offs. :D

$100 aught to get you something serviceable out of that bunch, and you can check their lathe prices as well.

Website
This morning I received an e-mail announcement message from Woodcraft that shipping is free for orders over $ 25 - free shipping ends October 30th, 2010. Undoubtedly, there will be more free shipping events and probably discounted amount sales coming-up during the holiday shopping season...

Rob

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Darryl,

Nice to see you made it over here, and that you're building out your equipment list. Feel free to give me a call whenever you feel like chatting again.

Alan Z.

I can whip any grinder into shape!

I've never encountered a grinder that I couldn't whip into shape! I have four bench grinders: a large Delta 3/4 HP, a Variable Speed Delta, a 3600 RPM 1/2 hp Delta and an unknown from the Pacific Rim. All run as smooth as silk. I have assisted many turners with their grinders of various sizes, speeds, cost and origin of manufacture.

The approach I take and recommend is:
1) get rid of any plastic bushings in the wheels
2) replace the plastic bushings with steel ones (I use and recommend headless drill bushings available from McMaster Carr @ $9.60 each)
3) use paper sitcky dots to shim between the cup washers on either side of the wheels, placed at 180 degres from each other. Stack them until you take the wobble out of the wheel. This may take about 10 or 15 minutes per wheel- not much time spent for the result!
4) use a good quality wheel truning system (not just a wheel dresser!) and make the wheels absolutely concentric to the axle- as they are mounted.

When you do these four things, and do them well, any grinder will run like a charm. Almost all of the grinder vibration will go away and your tools will not bounce on the surface.

I do not recommend only balancing the wheels gravimetrically. Wheel balancing kits work OK if you first make the wheels concentric to the axle. Balancing alone might work one time in a hundred and only then it is only because the wheels happen to already be concentric (I have never seen this). If you do not make the wheels concentric, you might take the vibration out of the grinder using a sheel balancer, but your tools will still bounce on the surface. In an extreme example: If there was a big bimp on one side of a wheel, you could- if you place enough weight opposite of the bump, make the wheel gravimetrically balanced. When you spin the wheel you may observe a great reduction in vibration in the grinder, but when something (such as a tool) comes into contact with the bump it will bounce. Another thing to consider though is, if you now remove the bump (making the wheel concentric), the grinder starts vibrating because the weight is now in the wrong place and realistically speaking, the counter weight isn't really necessary at all.

I have no wheel balancers on any of my grinders. I even own one, but tried it and took it off and put it back into the box. It was of no benefit to me.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to any of you with these problems.

Don Geiger
Florida

Back