• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Interview with Claude Lethiecq about his work (intricate Chinese Balls)

Thank you, Andi, for putting together this video to share with others the creations of a marvelous turner.

I first met Claude Lethiecq about a year ago when I visited Montreal and saw his work. Not only is he an amazing turner, he's a genuinely nice person. A living treasure, definitely a master at what he does.

That must be your music in the background on the video? Cool.

Eventually I will have something on Claude in the journal. So many people doing marvelous things -- he ranks way at the top!

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

Wow - my wife and I both marvelled at the 2 pieces he walks through in the video in detail. 6 months to make one piece.... that's a measure of dedication and focus seldom seen in any craft today. Marvelous and thank you Andi for pulling this together!

Btw, enjoyed the music!

Michael

Last edited:
Website
www.tahoeturner.com
Andi, you might recall that I was with you during at least part of your interview; I think I heard my voice in the background during one question. For those that missed the Hartford IG, Claude’s work was worth the visit alone. I had quite a bit of time with Claude and he and I discussed the AAW permanent collection as a place where at least one of his pieces might find a home. I was fascinated by his work and he explained many of his techniques and challenges. Just try to imagine the skill required to core one sphere from the inside of another sphere through a relatively small opening. The turning tool can not simply core around the inter sphere; it has to be modified with extensions as it proceeds. And then the reverse in order to remove the tool after the cut is made. Tools such as these are not available; they must be made.

Betty, I encourage you to pursue an in depth article on this treasure in the turning world.

Andi, I also enjoyed your music - nice job on the video.

Andi, Thank you for the film of this awsome man and his turnings. Six months for one piece, I know for a fact that I would never be able to do something like this. WOW!!! That's all I can say.
Malcolm, you lucky person you. To be able to spend time with such a talented man must be an honer.

Good music also, Thanks Andi

The first time I saw work of this nature on the cover of a book, my mind just about exploded. After reading about how they were done I was filled with child-like wonder.

Now, I am a guy who often does tedious things for hours at a time, but holy cow, I don't know that I would have it in me to make one. Claude's work, and patience, are just amazing. His work truly captures my imagination!

Thanks for sharing!

Hutch

P.S. I noted that he said he could use help finishing his book. I think it would be wonderful if the AAW could aid in that endeavor. I would hate to see his knowledge and experience never published, especially since his artform and skillset are so rare.

Last edited:
Back onto page one so others can easily find.

Thanks Andi for the video.

It is possible a video of Claude Lethiecq working would be a place to start to get his techniques out rather than a book.

The book would be good to get the specs of the objects out.

Ann

Website
www.la-truciolara.com
Thanks Andi for the video.

It is possible a video of Claude Lethiecq working would be a place to start to get his techniques out rather than a book.

The book would be good to get the specs of the objects out.

Ann
There are quite a few Europeans, all friends of Claude, who, like him, inspired by the French artist Barreau (1731), realise these art works.
Malcom, I hope you had some time to see the exhibition dedicated to the memory of Robert Bosco in Avignon.
They created a "group" which is called "le club des Maboule". Of course Claude is one of them.
Paul Texier
Jean Claude Charpignon
Marcel Baudry
Christian Delhon
Jean Michel Ribleur
Daniel McDonald
and a few other whose name I don't remember

Plenti of fascinating pieces:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Gerard.Fortier/Art_Sur_Bois_Tournage_Ornemental_2010_Reduit#

Here are some photos of the exhibition

Back