• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Piercing - Power Carver Help Please

I want to begin piercing some of my turnings and have been doing quite a bit of research. I have about decided on the NSK Presto. Below are the links to the the package deals I am considering. One comes with a foot pedal and the other with a on/off switch on the regulator/filter (3 in 1 Carver). My thinking is that I would most likely do most piercing sitting with the vessel in my lap. With that in mind, the food pedal might be uncomfortable to use while sitting especially trying to keep consistent rpms. The on/off switch just seems like it would be easier while sitting. How important is the foot pedal? The one with the foot pedal is about $475 and the one at Craft Suppy that has the 3 in 1 carver with the on/off switch is about $450. $25 is not a big deal, I just want to get the best on for my application.

Those of you who do piercings and carvings, do you have any thoughts or suggestions for someone getting started? Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Here are the links:

http://www.thewoodcraftshop.com/store/p/3382-NSK-Presto-Air-Turbine-Carver.html

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...g___NSK_Presto_High_Speed_Carver___nsk_carver

Website
www.thewoodspinnershoppe.com
Hi Jeff,
I purchased just the NSK in August, with the thought of getting a foot pedal some time, and I built my own setup with manual value using an Iwata regulator/filter ($63) and some plumbing hardware from Home Depot. Not as pretty as the setup from Craft Supplies, but it does the same thing.
That said, I have used my setup several times and I know now that I won't ever bother getting the foot pedal control.
When I'm using the NSK, I don't want to have to concentrate on keeping my foot on the air, try to concentrate on keeping my fingers clear of the cutting burr and try to concentrate on the design. I also tend to move a bit while I'm turning a piece and cutting at the same time.
When I do my piercing, I usually do it 5 to 10 minutes at a time, so turning off the valve is not a big issue - keeping my foot on a pedal for 10 minutes would be.

Cheers,

NSK Presto

Hi Jeff,
The NSK is a fantastic piercing carver which I purchased from Treeline 2 years ago. You are not going wrong in this purchase and will enjoy its use. I also purchased the controller for air pressure with the kit. Please pay attention to the maximum psi rating of 35 psi. They mean that! I now know of 2 people who did not pay attention and blew out the seals in the turbine, having to have the carver rebuilt. It will not take psi above 35 particularly 50 psi. Turn down the pressure to the controller if you can and then keep the controller at 35. That is plenty fast to give all of the control that you will need. That turbine is the most expensive part of the whole unit!

I agree with LHauch about the foot controller being unecessary. It is a total waste of money in my mind. You do need the controller though without doubt. It will take a little practice but that unit will remove precise piercings without any effort. The burrs are only 1/16", so take it easy and dont force things, or you will burn up the burrs at 350K rpms.

Back