• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

october issue

me too, but left it at work:mad:

Lead Time

Quick scan of index didn't list proposed by law amendments

The final page proofs for the October journal took place in early September. All the copy for the October issue was scheduled to be submitted by early August to edit, copyedit, do the layout, final proofreading, and final page approvals so that printing can happen in mid-September. The bylaw committee had really only started work in early August, as I recall. They're a really good group and working fast, but to be fair I'd give them just a wee bit more time . . . .

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm half way through my issue right now. Still trying to absorb the sanding article. I took a break and went out to the shop to sand my latest piece.

October Issue????????

I know that B. Wesolek got his last week and that should follow if the ship list is alphabetical. I am still waiting for mine. How long before you call for a replacement? :confused:

I know that B. Wesolek got his last week and that should follow if the ship list is alphabetical. I am still waiting for mine. How long before you call for a replacement? :confused:

This is the OCTOBER issue, mailed late last week from Minnesota (it's still September . . . ). If you do not receive your copy by October 20, then email linda@woodturner.org for a replacement.

All the journals are in the mail. They are bulk mailed and delivery depends on the USPS. AAW members are just beginning to receive the copies. I have not received my membership copy yet. I live in Indiana. (But of course I've already seen the contents :D )

This is the OCTOBER issue, mailed late last week from Minnesota (it's still September . . . ). If you do not receive your copy by October 20, then email linda@woodturner.org for a replacement.

All the journals are in the mail. They are bulk mailed and delivery depends on the USPS. AAW members are just beginning to receive the copies. I have not received my membership copy yet. I live in Indiana. (But of course I've already seen the contents :D )

Thanks Betty, I will patiently wait. Our postal system here is near depletion anyway. We get new delivery people about every week and mail for someone else too. Just the way things are now. You are fortunate to have read everything anyway. J. Bennett is a friend of mine and I am anxious to see the posts about him.

J. Bennett is a friend of mine and I am anxious to see the posts about him.

Jerry's piece, pictured on the calendar page in the October issue, is awesome! What this guy can do with multiple turned objects is stunning. And there's another picture of one of his pieces in a review of an exhibit -- it's a smaller sculpture, but still excellent. I got to see one of Jerry's segmented sculptures in person this past weekend in a private home in Bethesda. You are fortunate to have him as a friend -- he's been a pleasure to work with.

October Issue!

Hi Betty, I received the October American Woodturner yesterday - finally! Really enjoyed seeing J. Bennett's pieces in the issue and there are some awesome pieces by many others as well. Thanks for your hard work in getting these issues out to us. :)

Betty,

I just wanted to extend my thanks for the stewardship and incredible product you turn out. I find the magazine to be one of the highlights of the AAW and one HECK of a perk of membership given its quality. I'm a guy who can appreciate flipping a magazine or book in my hand (one reason why the Kindle holds little appeal to me). My hat is off to you, bravo!

Michael

The little item about David Belser turning ice (p. 17) got me thinking that an ice chuck could be a nice chuck (pun intended). Friday morning's full moon might have had a cosmic influence, or might not. The cartoon stage is next, and I think I've identified most of the problems to be solved, at least for the small version.

"The more things change the more they stay the same."

I got a kick out of Bill Pottorf's post and your reply because the other day I was in the members' area checking out the current issue AND the second issue (ever) of The American Woodturner. The second issue had a note that it could take up to three weeks to get from the printer to the member at bulk rates. Because it would take 31 cents more per copy for first class mail, times 1000 copies, times 4 times per year the editor, Dave Lipscomb, suggested everyone be more patient to save money for other AAW purposes.

Today we are luckier, since we can go online and see the new issue before we can hold it. :cool:

Thanks Betty and AAW.
Ann Herbst

well, i was getting close to the deadline date Betty mentioned, but i am happy to say mine appeared, now for some carrots and rutabagas, what paths we lead to climb the learning curve, if the carrots help what about the sanding articule, what to do, what to do :D i wonder what Alan will use to demo at fisherville????????

Back